Grid ops / integration

Great news ! (about the release, not you being laid off…)
Hope to find some time to get back to TT + Grid these next weeks !

2 Likes

this layoff might actually be one of the better things that happened to me. i started there when it was a small company with great culture and awesome people, but it hasn’t been like that for a few years now. so now they have to please the new investors while telling everybody to drink the corporate kool-aid and explaining how important we are for company profits while being completely replaceable. i didn’t realize just how unhappy i became with the job, it’s like a big weight was lifted off my shoulders.

and i can work on firmware whenever i want to :slight_smile:

16 Likes

i considered adding this (i like the idea!) but decided against it because the use of it wouldn’t be straight forward. consider creating a group of controls with 5 columns and 2 rows. i would expect it to work like this:

5 2

0 1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9

-5 2

4 3 2 1 0
9 8 7 6 5

5 -2

5 6 7 8 9
0 1 2 3 4

-5 -2

9 8 7 6 5
4 3 2 1 0

then the question becomes which id should be specified as the first id? let’s say we use 0 for all the above. then this breaks the convention that the first id is always located in the top left corner of the block. so in order to fix this we either have to specify the actual id, which for the examples above would be 0, 4, 5 or 9, or we change the convention. either option would make it difficult to understand what is being done just by looking at the script. so balanced against the problem it would solve it doesn’t seem like a good addition. hopefully the new .X and .Y ops will work better for this use case (they really simplify the maths for something like a multi track sequencer!).

forgot to mention, i’m going to revisit the grid studies to take advantage of the new ops, but not until a release candidate is ready (and i’ll be adding more studies).

3 Likes

Dumb question - I finally got around to trying to install this, but realized the way I usually install betas doesn’t seem applicable here. How do I install a hex file on the Teletype?

I’ve normally just run ‘./update_firmware.command’

Happy belated birthday!

1 Like

Full releases come in a zip file with the update_firmware.command file. Grab one from a release zip and put it in the same folder as the beta teletype.hex.

4 Likes

Of course - awesome thank you!!

1 Like

Finally installed this last night. I haven’t built an Offworld yet, so I am only able to use the built-in visualizer.

However, I loaded up @ghost’s Daemon port and had instantly usable results. Between this and @Dewb’s VCV Rack ports, I’m very excited for all of this new potential with my Monome hardware.

3 Likes

Silly question because I’m not 100% sure of the Offworld thing… If I’m using a Switch that does the same power-handling-help as the Offworld, and the reason you need an Offworld is simply the power of running a grid off of the Teletype port?

You can just use the Switch. I had sold my Switch since I eliminated my Trilogy modules in favor of two Ansibles, and then one Ansible.

The Teletype doesn’t provide enough power for the Grid, but the Switch and Offworld series do.

2 Likes

yep, you can use either option. i use a switch with one of my teletypes and ext5v (which is the older version of the offworld) with the other one.

is it dangerous to run your grid off the teletype? i just installed the grid integration firmware and i don’t have an offworld yet so i tried plugging it into the grid and it seems to work. i just finished the trigger visualizer here: https://github.com/scanner-darkly/teletype/wiki/STARTING-SIMPLE and found that i could illuminate all of the grid buttons from teletype power by pressing all 8 buttons at once. it does get a little bit flickery with all the buttons lit up, but it’s flicker free with 7 of 8 buttons held down (112 grid buttons fully illuminated).

i’m not sure how safe it is, but as there might be a chance it could damage it avoiding it would be probably a prudent thing to do.

you can do quite a bit with visualizer now, it might actually be an even better way to go through the studies as you don’t have to switch as often.

hey guys probably a dumb question, just got delivered a TT and willing to give @scanner_darkly’s firmware a shot but how do you guys alternate coding/gridding in an easy way? is the only solution here to just plug keyboard -> code a little -> unplug keyboard -> plug grid -> test ?

Is that the workflow? thanks

1 Like

Welcome (back) to the TT !
Well, yeah. You got it right. But you can do quite a lot from the Grid Simulator.

1 Like

Ok bein merci @chapelierfou! will give that a go, can’t wait to try your rene simulator :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good you’re asking! I have recently bought some parts for a solution… It’s ugly, but has been working great so far…

I got this usb switch:

Then I use two of these:

And a A-A cable which goes from the switchbox to teletype… Then the Keyboard to one “input” and the grid to the other, each via these adapters. Don’t forget to power the grid of course!!! I have a (monome) switch in between the grid connection.

Again, not pretty, but have it vertically standing at the side of my case, the long adapters hidden behind, and I can switch focus/input with the press of a button. (of course grid interaction stops when the focus is on the keyboard)

One caveat I found: some cables A-B wouldn’t work for some reason. Also had to sometimes re-power via the monome switch to re-gain focus on the grid. Using another cable fixed the issues I had. Might have been broken or poor quality cables. But this is still only tested for a few hours.

1 Like

Oh that’s great, thanks for the heads up @sakul ! :slight_smile:

Well I also use the (monome) switch with earthsea, so this isn’t an option for me.
BUT: My understanding is that monome switch powers the device on the USB A Port. I would expect this not be invertible. But someone with better understanding of the circuit would have to chime in sorry…

Edit: We are pretty OT. sorry guys! @Admins might move these to new thread…

yeah never mind I actually don’t think it could work but your solution is great (and cheap!) thanks

1 Like