Grid ops / integration

@jnoble - SCENE.G added, give it a try! new beta posted here: Teletype 3.+ feature requests and discussion

1 Like

Thanks, will have a look at the game of life, might answer all my questions!!

Related to my original question and the SCENE.G feature: Will the grid be wiped when loading a scene? Any way to keep the grid?

:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

I’ll try to give it a spin this weekend, this is amazing news!!

1 Like

for grid controls there are 2 things:

• the definition: size / placement / brightness / assigned scripts
  • the state: pressed/released for buttons, value for faders

loading a scene from USB or flash will update both. loading a scene using SCENE op will update states but will keep definitions (if you want to reset them you can just execute G.RST). the newly added SCENE.G op will keep both definitions and states.

1 Like

did you have a chance to test SCENE.G?

1 Like

Nyet, I had a live set last week and didn’t want to disturb anything. The time after that has been consumed by Life™, but I’ll try my best to take a crack at it in the next couple of days. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well that took a while!

It works!! This frees up 3 whole scripts for one of my performance scenes. I can’t thank you enough, this really opens up a lot of possibilities. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Howdy! I just caught a 128 grid+ansible on Reverb. I’ve been looking for solutions to the power issues with running the grid into the teletype (currently been dreaming scripts up in grid visualizer til I found a good deal). I was curious if progress was ever made using the ansible to power the grid while still controlling the teletype via i2c? I’m still wrapping my head around all of this, so y’all will have to forgive my confusion in asking this stuff. Any help is appreciated, and I am so excited to join the grid ops TT fun <3

There’s no way to have ansible power the grid while the grid is connected to Teletype (not sure that was a proposed solution that I’ve seen).

I would recommend you get one of these:

If you want to switch between grid and keyboard with teletype while powering, the @scanner_darkly and @MengQiMusic 2>1 module , although be advised that it pulls from the 5V rail.

2 Likes

i think there was a thought of using ansible as sort of a grid-i2c adapter, but this likely wouldn’t work well. besides, it’s just easier to use other solutions, like the ones @Jonny mentioned.

you could also power two>one from an external USB power supply.

1 Like

Both excellent and much more reasonable solutions. That’s a fancy lookin cable, too. :metal::pray:

I really got so much inspiration from the grid ops studies, thank you for this @scanner_darkly! I’ve been eagerly waiting for new content, any plans for adding details for these placeholders ?

FADERS

X/Y PAD

GAME OF LIFE

VISUALIZER

SCENE MANAGEMENT

TIPS AND TRICKS

control brightness with param knob

radio buttons

:nerd_face::pray:

6 Likes

thanks for the reminder - i need to get to this sooner rather than later… no timeline but will keep it at the top of the list!

10 Likes

I have gone way down the grid ops rabbit hole and would be happy to contribute, help edit, etc. if needed. :slight_smile:

While I’m here, I’d like to say I’m so grateful for this addition. It’s no exaggeration to say it’s a game changer for me. Thank you!!

5 Likes

Your time and effort is much appreciated. Looking forward to the update! :muscle:

1 Like

thank you - it’s really great to hear, and i might take you up on the offer - one thing that would be super helpful is maybe doing some editing of the existing studies and just checking if anything is out of date? (pretty sure some ops changed after i wrote them). this will allow me to concentrate on adding new content.

another thing i thought would be cool to add is people describing how they integrate it in their setup - whether it’s simply triggering scripts with a grid or something more complex. and i’m really curious whether people tend to use the same grid scene or change it for different tracks/patches.

6 Likes

I’m definitely heading towards loading different scenes as part of a longer performance. Haven’t used the grid ops yet, but will jump in soon.

1 Like

Stopping by to inquire about the ol’ MLR script–think you might revisit that at some point?
I’ve been working on a slight edit of it for the STS that I shared here, but it’s still super preliminary. Works by sending a slewed signal upwards that resets on each button press/whenever the sequence moves forwards, which is passed into the start position input on the STS to create a fine granular scrub, and the speed of the slew affects the speed of playback. It doesn’t sound perfect but it sounds and feels really cool, and I think a lot of the kinks can be worked out… one question mark I’ve run into is how to get the tracks running independently from each other, so I can adjust the playback speed of individual channels? Been messing with the DEL ops but haven’t figured out a nifty way of getting that to function yet. Definitely keeping this project going, and hopefully convince a few other people to try out the STS as that is a very powerful sampler!

afraid it would be quite some time before i would get a chance to work on the MLR script again - just too many projects waiting, including more teletype grid studies…

looking at the old MLR script i posted here it should be pretty straightforward to modify it to have independent clock for each track if you are willing to clock it externally. metro script just triggers script 1, which then loops through advancing each track:

L 0 3: A I; SCRIPT 3

and looks like scripts 5, 6, 7 are not used (if i’m looking at the right version). so what you could do instead is use external triggers into inputs 1, 5, 6, 7 and modify the scripts as follows:

A 0; SCRIPT 3

A 1; SCRIPT 3

A 2; SCRIPT 3

A 3; SCRIPT 3

you could also refactor it so you can use trigger inputs 1-4, you’ll have to move scripts 2-4 to 5-7 and update all the script references.

could also probably refactor it to still use the internal clock. and if you just want independent divisions of the main clock do something like:

EVERY 1: A 0; SCRIPT 3
EVERY 4: A 1; SCRIPT 3
EVERY 7: A 2; SCRIPT 3
EVERY 13: A 3; SCRIPT 3
5 Likes

This is invaluable! I’ll keep posted as this continues, think I might make use of crow for the next step—thanks for the input :slight_smile: