Grid ops / integration

teletype

Good to know, though I didn’t interpret it as a slight to norns. I don’t know much about norns since it’s not easy easy to come by one right now… But I assume like the rest of the monome products, they start awesome and only get better from there.

Hi,
I just wondered if there would be another revision to Teletype to add power requirement for Grid w/o the extra power splitting.
If so, would this be in time for the September release?

not to my knowledge, but it’s more of a question for @tehn

I have a functional question. I’m trying to use a button to fire off a single trigger (for reset purposes). Previously, I’ve done this by assigning the button to a script, and put the trigger on the script. In this case, I’m out of free Scripts, so I’m trying to come up with a command that will fire one single trigger when I press the non-latching button.

Any ideas?

couple of options.

you could use a variable to share a script for 2 different purposes. say, you call script 1 from script 2, and there is room left in script 1. then you could do something like this:

IF && G.BTNV EZ T: reset
IF EZ T: break
the rest of script 1

T 1; SCRIPT 1

basically, variable T tells script 1 whether it’s called from script 2 or from the button. the downside is that it’s possible the reset button is pressed just as script 2 is calling script 1, which means the reset won’t be executed (or it might result in some other side effects, depending on what script 1 does).

second option: you can assign metro and init scripts to grid controls too (set to 9 or 10 respectively), so if you’re not using them for anything else you could use them for reset.

I’m gonna have to chew on that…I suspected that I could probably achieve my aim with some Logic. Will report back after ‘chewing’ this Manhattan. :tumbler_glass:

I think it will work if I place this line within a script that is getting by the metronome script. Only catch is that I have to hold the button at least long enough for the script pulse to ‘grab’ it, and it can possible trigger multiple times while I do so, but for my purposes that’s fine.

If NZ G.BTN.V #: TR.P #

or change it to a latching button, and then change it to:

IF G.BTN.V #: TR.P #
G.BTN.V # 0

this way you just arm it, don’t need to hold and no multiple triggering.

OK, here’s another one. So I want to trigger a few 2 to 10 bar samples within a ER301 in a Ableton Live fashion.

Would you use Faders in DOT mode or Groups of buttons and utilize the Switch function? I think both could be made to work.

Also, if any of you are 301 jockey’s, which Sample player do you think it best suited for this function? I’ve done similar things in the past, but I’m not settled on the best way to do it… Was going to experiment with the Clocked Player.

i would go with a coarse dot fader, it’ll work/look like radio buttons but you don’t have to do the switching (and you could use fader slides for some interesting effects!). but yeah, either way works. button switching can be useful when you have a block of buttons, for instance.

(it’s been a while since i used teletype with er-301 to trigger samples, so this might not apply anymore) if you’re also controlling pitch or something else you might need to add a slight (~5ms iirc) delay to the trigger (super easy to do on the er-301 side, you can just use a fixed delay unit for that with wet set to 100%).

just posted a preliminary documentation for the upcoming teletype 3.0 release: Teletype 3.0 Release Candidate 5 documentation added

among other things it includes a much more expanded documentation on grid ops. not a full replacement for grid studies (still planning to go over those / edit / expand) but should hopefully clarify a few things.

@scanner_darkly

question–using start and end on grid control mode (which is incredible!) has the dots on the side be the length of your start/end block. using ctrl+l makes the length of the numbers bold-er. are these doing two different things?

Position 2 is the end position using grid control mode. Position 4 was ctrl+l’d

yeah, it’s a bit confusing. each pattern has start/end/length. end and length are actually 2 different parameters (some explanation here: Teletype 3.0 Release Candidate 5 documentation added). the dotted lines reflect the block between the start and end positions. length is shown by the brighter font.

when you use the grid control mode setting the end will also update the length - this is done so that you can use grid to define loop points (if you’re implementing a sequencer using P.NEXT, for instance). the reason for this is that P.NEXT will wrap when it reaches either the end or the length, whichever happens earlier. so if it didn’t update the length this wouldn’t work.

i really think it should be streamlined, but it would be a breaking change and deserves a separate topic and discussion. perhaps i should just add another button to set the length separately.

the way I’m thinking of using it is more or less the looping pattern sequences (as an alternative to what I’ve been doing where a knob on TXi is mapped to a small range of values and sets a P.L).

I also very often use patterns as a fixed voltage bank (i.e. sequences of length 1). It would be cool if you could hold the start and end buttons simultaneously and then tap one of the pattern positions to set both start and end for that particular position (tried a few different combos and could not come up with something that would do that in one go)

I personally can’t think of a reason where I’d want to have different P.L vs. P.END - P.START, or a reason I’d want to set P.L (as opposed to P.END) within the control mode.

good idea, i’ll add it to my list of future improvements!

This might be a silly question, but as I don’t know I guess I’ll have to put this out there.

I recently bought a Grid and was planning on using it exclusively with the Teletype, but as time goes on I started thinking of getting an Ansible (I will get an ARC when they return to stock) and I was wondering if I had the Grid attached to the Ansible and the Ansible connected via i2c to Teletype would Grid Ops communicate with the Grid as though it were attached to the Teletype? Or is the Grid Ops integration exclusively for having the Grid attached to the Teletype?

no, grid ops don’t work over i2c. grid must be connected to teletype (powered externally, of course).

So in a sense the Ansible is not necessary in the Teletype/Grid setup?

Anisble is not necessary. Ansible is running its own software without knowledge of the fact it’s connected to Teletype. The grid ops are just new code for Teletype. Teletype’s connections generally flow outward, not both ways. So you can do a lot to send influence to other things and use grid ops as a way to control those influences, but the receivers do not have a way to actively respond to Teletype or the grid attached to it.

to expand a bit, ansible runs on its own, but can be controlled from teletype (via app specific ops, so we have kria ops, meadowphysics ops etc) or can be used as a teletype CV expander (so you get extra 4 CV and 4 trigger outputs).

ansible is not required for grid/teletype integration.

but grid/teletype integration is great for creating teletype scenes that serve as meta controllers for ansible (or trilogy modules). so you could have one grid connected to ansible running kria, for instance, while another (perhaps smaller) grid could be used with teletype to execute additional kria commands.