Grid rotation on norns?

hey all -

i’ve searched and have seen that grid rotation has been implemented on norns, but i can’t find any information on how to actually change mine’s rotation. it looks like on a previous version it was easy to find in the devices menu - but that doesn’t seem to still be the case. everything i can find on the subject is a year and a half old.

i’m working on a script that uses two grids - a 128 and a 64 - and want to flip the 64 so the cable can be in a useful orientation. how do i do this?

1 Like

You can take a look at the code of my grid-test script

most simply

value = 0 -- value here is 0,1,2,3  for "0","90","180","270"
grid_device = grid.connect()
grid_device:rotation(value)
3 Likes

oh that’s great! that script never came up in my search. i’ll give it a try!

1 Like

It was not previously in the community repo - but I’ve just submitted it there.

more info here

2 Likes

it works! wow, that was pretty easy. thank you!

2 Likes

In case it’s not clear, you’ll need to add that to any script you need rotation in.

I had a master plan to start opening PRs to add grid rotation to my most-used scripts, but… IRL, ya know :wink:

2 Likes

would be cool if this could be an option in the global params/Midi devices menu. can think of many instances when having this would make my cable-ing more tidy and less distracting :slight_smile:

this has been logged for a while now: https://github.com/monome/norns/issues/644

I’ll see if it’s something I can add, but if anybody’s contributed to the UI before this would be nice to close!

3 Likes

EDIT new to git - misunderstood. disregard!

this is a somewhat messy UI problem to solve for the menu system.

i’ll try to prioritize it for the next update.

2 Likes

Really nice work on the grid-test script. I came here looking to dynamically figure out how to get the size of a connected grid and was not disappointed. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Did grid rotation ever make it into the norns settings? I couldn’t find it anywhere.

Rotation and grid global LED intensity adjustment are featured in this grid settings mod:

There is also information on monome.org about how to install and use Norns mods, within docs / community scripts + mods: