Hacktoberfest 2017! (i.e. write documentation, get a free T-shirt)

Another year, another Hacktoberfest…

For those of you that don’t know… (most of you I expect). Hacktoberfest is an annual open source code festival. Whereby you, the aspiring open source contributor can get a free T-shirt by opening up 4 pull requests on GitHub. I’ve got 2015 and 2016, and very nerd-chic they are too.

It’s run by:

• Digital Ocean: where lines is hosted, and
  • GitHub: where all the Monome open source code is stored.

You don’t need to be a coder to contribute, though code is also welcome. There is plenty of documentation to contribute to, you can even edit the Markdown directly on the GitHub site. (And I know everyone on here knows how to use Markdown!)

Here are some non-coding ideas:

• Teletype docs:
    • Perhaps you’d like to add one of the Teletype studies to the new docs
    • or add an in depth tutorial to your favourite OP
    • or update the existing language introduction for the new features in 2.0 (and 2.1…)
  • Monome website docs
    • (I haven’t asked @tehn about this…, but they’re all here)
    • It’s all in Markdown, it there is something that you’ve been itching to update, go for it!
  • The Teletype Codex
    • I remember everyone and their cat wanting to be added to the repo, time to add some scripts…
  • Any others?

Even if you don’t make it to 4 PRs, you’ll still show up as a contributor (e.g. for teletype).

You need to make you PRs during October, and you need to sign up on the Hacktoberfest website.

If you’d like to contribute some documentation but don’t know where to start, please post here and I (or others) can try and talk you through the process (again, it can be done entirely on the GitHub website).

5 Likes

Nice idea!

I’ll probably be doing some work on the monome docs, especially the Linux ones. But was planning to do so anyway :slight_smile:
Also currently trying to fix/close the open issues for libmonome and serialosc and address some issues I ran into whilst packaging them.
All the help we can get is welcome! :slight_smile:

I was wondering if those docs are automatically published to the site. Looking at the repo that doesn’t seem to be the case. @tehn probably know if that’s correct?

2 Likes

yes, the monome docs i manually pull into the live site. it’s a one-line script i run, so i just need to be made aware of changes (which i will be as i’m subscribed to the monome docs github) so send pull requests!