Hardware Physical Modelling

Oh man I never thought to try putting an offset into the loop. Do you tend to do that alongside a wavefolder, or add it on its own sometimes?

i use it with the wavefolder, mostly with the toppobrillo twf or the intellijel ufold, both have a dc offset (symmetry) already on the panel. it can thin out the sound quite a bit so sometimes i need to add gain at another stage to compensate. this whole feedback patching really feels like building a card house : )
i just thought that maybe this doesn’t work with delays other than mungo since it creates a dc offset which typical “audio delays” normally can’t handle.

I just bought my first Mungo module ! :relaxed: (sorry, I felt I had to share it with you as this thread is what got me inspired to get the d0)

5 Likes

Got mine waiting to be cleared from customs also due to this thread :wink:

2 Likes

great @ParanormalPatroler and @Foxhood! here’s a good demo of how the zoom works:
http://mungo.com.au/eurozoom.html
that’s important to understand when playing with a mungo module and that the three knobs on the left are all bipolar, zero is in the middle. the slew knob is also tricky since the range is veeery large so too much slew might confuse at first, a good setting is 11 o’clock when zoomed out (-).
have fun!

edit: ah and if he still adds the red tune button…well, press it with volume down, the freaking test tone is extremely loud …

2 Likes

One quick question without derailing the thread, does the d0 retain its settings at powerdown? I have read elsewhere about saving the V/oct attenuation position etc, but I have no space for a Save/Load module, so as is, will I be able to keep the last settings (re:knob positions) I had on the module when I power down the case?

It would be crucial really.

Also, I’ve seen people reffer to the gain knob as feedback (case in point, grayscale names the knob gain/feedback). From what I’ve gathered it’s just gain, right? You have to do an external feedback path, there is no internal option other than the serial A>B switch. Correct?

It does not save state on power down unfortunately. I have yet to install mine, but you can get a MIDI adapter that plugs into a spare socket on your busboard that you can use to send program change data to recall settings on the D0, so you don’t actually need a save/load module, just a way to send those MIDI messages.

And you’re right about channel A’s gain knob. It’s just referred to as feedback because if you patch B out to A in, and turn on the A>B switch, that’s what it will give you.

1 Like

here’s how to patch the internal feedback, then the gain knob becomes a bipolar feedback control, the black button has to be pressed for this:

1 Like

what’s that midi adapter? something from mungo?

Yes you just have to email him about it. You can get a 4hp zoom switch/MIDI inlet combo panel, too.

According to John you can use it to send MIDI note data to the D0 as well which would totally eliminate the need for finicky front panel tuning.

ah ok yeah i saw that midi zoom combo. but then you need to have an extrenal midi thing, computer or so to send the messages or is there an internal way to store and recall saved settings, like with the storage strip? thanks!

If I’m not mistaken the storage strip doesn’t recall settings, it just sents CC messages over the busboard. So it’s the module itself that saves/recalls the settings. Not the Storage Strip.

I was so excited to purchase the d0, but it seems like it’s not meant to happen.:disappointed_relieved: Got scammed, and currently waiting to resolve the issue via PayPal. Hoping that with the money I might get back from the seller, I’ll be able to get the CG Products delay instead. So disappointing.

Sorry to hear that. I hope you get it back.

Such a niche product - seems so unlikely that scammers would use it…

oh shit, sorry to hear that, i already wondered when your d0 explorations will show up here…
hope you get your money back!

It’s a messy situation. Waiting to see if PayPal will solve it or if the seller will get out of their stupor (their excuse, not mine) and hand over the d0 to a friend who lives close by. We’ll see.

In the meantime, here’s a physical-modeling-heavy hardware performance.

Starts at 50:45. Not sure why video doesn’t work here. Anyway, if you can listen with headphones that would be ideal, as there’s lots of small sound events and a bunch of spacial movement.

Let me know what you think! :relaxed: And since I know this is not a performance topic, feel free to comment on the sound design, or other elements (mixing etc). Always looking to improve.

2 Likes

That’s really shitty. Do you still think it’s a scam, or is the person just dragging their feet on shipping? I’ve seen a few cases of people trying to do scam sales of Mungo modules on Muffwiggler. Seems to happen a lot with any of the more expensive manufacturers like them and Cwejman.

Interesting sounds in that performance. What modules are you using for the various parts?

I’m not sure what to believe. The reason being that on one hand I think the seller is in a bad situation and is genuinely incapable of solving the problems he creates for himself. I do believe he owns the Mungo module and placed it for sale with the intent to send it over, but it’s been more than two weeks that he hasn’t shipped it. And I’ve also offered to have a friend pick it up on my behalf, in the city where the seller is located. He has not answered that suggestion, so I’m inclined to consider nefarious thinking.

I was alerted when he first insisted to use a more immediate method of payment, instead of PayPal. I’m hoping PayPal will see things my way and return my money. Either that or that the seller gets out of their haze and decides to give the module to my friend. That would be ideal as this thread has got me craving for a d0. I kinda jumped on it as soon as I saw it!

In any case, back to the thread (thank you for asking though, it does help to discuss this with people who care). The modular is mostly used for sequencing and post processing. Sounds are PCM and physical modelling based, around the GEM engine called DRAKE:

“The rp-x is powered by Generalmusic’s break-through technology DRAKE. DRAKE (Dsp-Risc-Advanced-Keyboard-Engine) is the ultimate DSP: probably the most advanced piece of musical hardware in the world. Its 32-bit and 50-MIPS internal structure and its totally programmable software architecture make this processor so fast and powerful that any kind of algorithm, from Wavetable to Physical Modeling, can be implemented in real time, either in generation or in post-processing. Using the Physical Modelling power offered by DRAKE, Generalmusic has created and patented a number of new algorithms which replicate some of the world’s most famous vintage instruments like Rhodes, Wurlitzer and Clavinet. DRAKE has found unanimous, enthusiastic appraisal from experts in these fields”

You can really push this to extremes. I like the balance between things sounding real and fake. I have some things in mind I want to achieve when performing and I think I hit some spots during this performance, sound-wise.

2 Likes

that’s a quite unique performance @ParanormalPatroler! so if i understand correctly the main sound, the piano sound, comes from this rp-x box? is that something like a yamaha vl70m? you use the addac cv to midi correct? i always wondered how the addac interprets note off messages, how does this work? and is that a hinton pin mix module or what is that with the ems style pins?

1 Like

Coming from you that’s a major compliment @kilchhofer. Thank you!
The piano sound comes from the GEM rp-x indeed, which is something like a hidden gem (pun intended). It is far from being as powerful as the VL70m in terms of programming, but it is very powerful in terms of synthesis, so I can only take credit for 10-20% of the sound design. All the sounds in the box are pretty standard, pianos, claviers, el. pianos, etc, but with some clever layering and a bit out-of-the-box thinking you can push it to some interesting territories.

In this occasion I’m using the Doepfer a-192-2 in conjunction with the fairly new mxmxmx CV2MIDI module (https://www.modulargrid.net/e/other-unknown-c2m there’s a link to Git on the page there, the module is open source if you’re interested).

The ADDAC222 is the main MIDI translator in my other case, the jazz one (which if interested you can check here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeKnHJA0e-o Disclaimer: the sounds are not physical modeling so it might not be of interest for this thread. I’m working with a Roland ROMpler on that set but I’m quite proud of my work even though I know I have a looong way to go to reach what I have in my head). The ADDAC has three modes, and depending on the mode it interprets NoteOff differently, but generally it has NoteOff inputs that end the note when a Gate is received. Does that answer your question? I’ll be happy to explain anything in detail if you want.

The pin matrix is from Future Sound Systems. It’s a lovely module called MTX9. Another hidden gem for modular systems. It’s a 9X9 matrix which you can either get as passive or powered form. This setup was actually built around this module.

2 Likes