Help developing a m4l plugin

Hi all,

I’m currently trying to develop a monome m4l plugin that mimics the chord section of the Theoryboard

(https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1962606435/theoryboard-music-theory-made-easy)

and I was wondering if anyone would be interested in helping?

At the moment the biggest issue that I have is correctly identifying the chord data, so if anyone has a good grasp on music theory and could check over the chord data I have, that would be incredibly helpful.

After that general tidying up and making a m4l (or max patches in general) more presentable.

Thank you in advance!

This is the data I have so far

chordnames.txt (752 Bytes)

chordmaster.txt (8.5 KB)

Hi Everyone,

So I’ve had a bit of downtime and have developed a working prototype of the max4live plugin.

Presenting Chordome v0.1

Chordome v0.1.zip (12.2 KB)

If anyone would be able to try it out and get back to me with any feedback/bugs, that would be great!

Known Bugs

1. LED not staying lit correctly, not really sure how to change this to update in real time.
  2. Final chord is a duplicate of the first chord, 1 octave up. gating for filtering is not really doing what I would like.

Future features

1. More chords
  2. More modes/scales
  3. Maybe an isomorphic keyboard on the RHS
  4. Autofocus
  5. Better GUI

Basic Use

For new vb128 (might work with others, but there is dynamic lighting)

Load the plugin onto a midi track in ableton, first select the scale and then the root note. After that, the grid should light up. Route the audio to the required midi device/instrument and go wild. Button in the bottom corner is a panic LED button for when you’re finished using the device.

Hi Everyone,

Bit of progress.

chordome v0.5.zip (97.2 KB)

Pretty happy with how this is progressing, plenty of modes/scales in there now.

Scrapped the isomorphic keyboard for individual notes from the scale.

Added transposition for individual notes within the chords.

To Do:

Clean up LED management (LED after final chord is showing up lit, not sure why)

Fix LED management of individual note section

Figure out why loadbang isnt always firing starting light messages

Stop trigger of chords when selecting mode and/or root note

Any notes/tips would be super helpful!

Alex