~ Help W/ ~

Ok, I managed to get that to work, thanks.

I also realized when reading your (nicely detailed) answer that I what I called a simple delay was actually a trigger-synced delay… I’ll blame sleep deprivation on this one, sorry :man_facepalming:.

From the default dub mode, is there a way to alter the delay time at this point ? I’d need to make new cues I suppose so switching to sample mode for the THIS jack looks like the way to go but can that be done while something is playing ? Pressing record will mess with what’s going on so I guess this has to be set beforehand ?

1 Like

in principle I think it can be done while something is playing but I guess I usually try to set it up beforehand!

1 Like

My w/ is suddenly behaving strangely. The signal at IN comes out very distorted, and when I look at it on an oscilloscope it seems to be clipping below 0V. I tried clearing the tape for the first time earlier today, which seemed to work fine. Turned my synthesizer off and came back a couple hours later to find it acting strangely.

Any advice for troubleshooting? I’ve tried switching/clearing tapes to no avail.

The first question I think many will ask, which version of firmware are you on?

I purchased the module new a couple months ago, so I think I’m on the latest version.

1 Like

Please send us an email at service@whimsicalraps.com.

Get in touch with us and we will get the issue sorted!

2 Likes

Thanks! Sent you an email.

1 Like

Hey, I have a need for a small sampler in my eurorack that has a possibility to record audio and start playing it nearly instant afterwards and from what I have read it seems that W/ will be an ideal module for that (at least until I will start build 6U and will have space/power for morphagene).
So after the bugs have been fixed etc. do you find that W/ is a good module for that? I often play acoustic instruments and/or play with other musicians that play acoustic instruments and would love to capture short snippets of sounds to mangle in my modular while they are playing something else. I have clouds so it can pick up granular processing duties so it is not that important for me to have that all in one module. Basically I need to capture external sounds easily, start the playback as soon as the recording ends and then maybe slow/speed things up. On paper it looks like it would be great for that but theory and practice can be a two very different things.

2 Likes

going with a short answer of “yes” but especially AFTER you get familiar with the controls. when engaged in basic play/record mode, a flip up on the switch immediately starts playback at the previous loop point, and disengages recording.

2 Likes

I’ve just bought one for this exact purpose. I can’t say how well it works though, as I’m in the middle of moving house so haven’t had much time to play around recently.

1 Like

Hopefully it will perform ok as I decided to pull the trigger and ordered one :smiley: For a while I was thinking of maybe just using looper pedal but then I would lose CV control etc.

1 Like

Ok, I am confused. When booting up W/ normally the loop right light lights for a really short while and then all lights dissapear and module doesn’t respond to any button presses etc. When booting into Izzy mode I heard voice etc. but when booting into Izzy again the play blinks, after pressing it the record blinks a finally the loop. When I press the loop button all lights go away and I don’t hear anything :< I definitely have sparse power in my case so I hope this is not the case.
EDIT: clearing the tape made it work again but breaking it without even managing to record anything makes me a little worried :frowning:
EDIT2: after some play it seems to work fine so let’s hope that after the rocky start only the magical adventure awaits :slight_smile:

3 Likes

what happened to a users post about W/ not powering properly? literally having this same problem and getting nowhere. have a gig on uh weds. yes i’m emailing mannequins.

+1
happens too often for comfort. I manage to forget how to operate the thing and then once I get the hang of it it turns out it’s crapped out on boot and I have to reset it otherwise it’s stuck. Case has plenty of power, so this is extremely frustrating.
Is this about firmware? Anyone know about upcoming fixes? Alternatively if this is about electronics, any workarounds?

1 Like

I am wondering how to achieve the degradation/bitcrushing effect (like in Meng Qi’s piece Glittering Skies Go Dark)?

2 Likes

I think the idea there is to record something with the tape moving slower than 1x and then play it back at 1x (or, just, faster than you recorded it)

2 Likes

Thanks! While we are on the subject, I see he is “jiggling” the switch to get some warble-like effects. What mode makes this possible? I have also not been able to figure this one out yet.

1 Like

NAV mode - THAT controls tape speed, toggle scrubs forward/backward.

3 Likes

Mines just done it again. I’m going to try ejecting the SD card as that helped, but I need to dig out the manual and figure out how to wipe everything and start fresh I think. It’s weird it just stops working when I’m not using it. I’m starting to just leave it as whenever I go to use it’s usually crashed. :confused:

exactly this. every time i’ve had it freeze, it has been after having the rack powered for a while (1h+) without using W/ itself. could be an easy fix, but beats me how one reproduces it reliably.