Hemisphere Suite Support

There are bunches of types of latches and flip-flops, and several of them can be implemented with the Threshold Logic Neuron. The common thread is the technique of feeding one of the (identical) axon outputs back into one of the dendrites with a patch cable. Depending on that dendrite’s weight, it can either force the sum past the threshold and latch the output, or it can force the sum lower by itself, or in conjunction with another dendrite that can act as a “reset” input. The wiki has a brief “cookbook” of Threshold Logic settings, which gets into that a little bit, and hopefully gets you thinking about other possibilities. :slight_smile:

Oh, and also, the Neural Net full app has a data flip-flop, a toggle flip-flop, and a latch built in, so check that out if you love logic!

1 Like

this might be a stupid question, but does hemisphere overwrite the default firmware in any way? reading through some of the notes, i don’t see exactly how it’s implemented. i ordered the micro mapgpie panel version from reverb and wanted to make sure i would still have access to things like lorenz/quad lfo/piques/euclidean mode if i asked the seller to load the hemisphere suite. i won’t be missing out on anything if i don’t do it, correct? any disadvantages?

You don’t get to keep original firmware if using hemisphere. You can update between them back and forth, but not use them at the same time.

1 Like

Just wanted to drop a line and say thanks for hemisphere suite! I got so excited about this after I installed it that I forked your repo to see if I could start writing my own applets.

Thankfully your code is very readable, and I can sort of hack through things even though I don’t really know C++. I’ve been blogging a bit about the process of learning to code hemisphere applets (notes to self for later) over here: https://crumplab.github.io/blogposts/7_28_20_OC/7_28_20_OC.html

My plan is to keep discussing some of my coding when I find the time to do it. Thought I’d share in case it’s useful for people looking to code more apps. Anyway, thanks again, looking forward to making some weird applets if I ever get this figured out.

4 Likes

I’m looking for compile my own version of the hemisphere version, and have a few questions. For context, I have the Plum Audio o_C 4Robots, which has VOR functionality. I guess this means that the output range can be changed depending on the app. There is a specific branch of the Hemispheres firmware that is VOR compatible. However, I want to add a bit of updated code for the ShiftReg (limits the range of the output so you can tame it down to an octave or two) app which is from a different branch. My thought was I could just take the shiftreg code from that alternate firmware, and put replace the shiftreg code in the VOR firmware. Are there any problems with this approach?

My first question is any advice on compiling my own firmware? I’ve seen some posts in this thread around arduino software and compiling the INO file, but anything I need to watch out for in terms of compatibility or anything like that?

My second question, more tactically, is what is the name of the file that has the code for ShiftReg. It seems to me that most of the applets have their own files, but I can’t seem to find one called ShiftReg.

I’d like to also say that Hemisphere is very easy and satisfying to modify. I’ve made several versions of my own and it is so nice.

The SHUFFLE applet in awesome:)

1 Like

My first question is any advice on compiling my own firmware? I’ve seen some posts in this thread around arduino software and compiling the INO file, but anything I need to watch out for in terms of compatibility or anything like that?

You do need to use the Arduino IDE 1.8.1 and Teensyduino 1.35

My second question, more tactically, is what is the name of the file that has the code for ShiftReg. It seems to me that most of the applets have their own files, but I can’t seem to find one called ShiftReg.

It’s called HEM_TM.ino. ShiftReg used to be called Turing but, after a discussion with Tom Whitwell regarding the use of his trade name, I changed it to ShiftReg out of respect for his preference that “Turing Machine” (or variants thereof) not be used for anything not sold by Music Thing.

As for the VOR stuff, see the ocplus branch in the repo. I can’t promise that that branch is complete; in fact, I’m sure it’s not. But it would be a good starting point for getting the VOR working with Hemisphere.

Sorry for the late reply, but it’s 2020. :slight_smile:

hi all, i was curious if anyone could offer some trouble shooting or point out a simple error i’m making >.> i’ve tried two different versions of hemisphereand in both i’ve been unable to change the app on the right side (it’s always fixed as scales duet) the fact its happened with two differnt builds leads me to believe i missed something when i was learning to use it, or something is wrong with my O_C - maybe a tact switch is malfunctioning?
thanks for any advice!

When you click the right hemisphere button, does an outline appear around the Scale Duet applet?

no thats the issue - i[m going to try to install the flipped version to see if its a firmware thing or if the part on the OC is broken

It sounds like a hardware issue. Make sure that the Teensy is seated firmly in its socket. If it is, you’ll probably need to get out a meter and make sure that the button is closing when pressed.

i think this is the case, tried the flipped hemisphere and the other button worked. going to be replacing the tact switch tomorrow -_-

loved IT! amazing work!

hmmm replaced the tactile switch and still no results :confused:

Did you test the switch with a meter before replacing it? There’s not much point to replacing a part that works…

I have a similar issue and concluded it must be encoder related (also right encoder not switching apps). I am currently still looking for a replacement but it is not on top of my list of tasks.
I am curious what you come up with (mine is a nano/micro o_c I bought through the marketplace).
My full size o_c does not show this behaviour running the same firmware.

I am not sure if this is helpful, but I got around to swapping the encoder on mine with success… though only after calibrating the unit properly.
I started with a fresh teensy so it was in need of calibration.
In hindsight I think it only needed the encoder calibration though (the part where you define the direction.
The easy thing though is that the encoders as well as the included button pins are directly connected to the teensy pins, so just checking for continuity helps in trouble shooting.

I started with a fresh teensy so it was in need of calibration.

Keep in mind that Hemisphere Suite has a backup/restore application, so you can dump your data, including your module’s calibration, to a MIDI librarian, then restore it to the new Teensy. This way, you don’t need to muck about with calibration just because you changed your Teensy. (Of course, calibration data is only good if you’re using the same module)

1 Like

which Hemisphere applet would one use to recreate a s&h function? is that possible here?

i dont exactly understand how the shift registers work on here. for something like enigma jr or the dual quantizer, is there a way to send a gate into one of the inputs which will then track and hold the incoming cv sequence?