How to sync two USB MIDI hosts

I’ve got a POC implementation working last year:

To build and run it you also will need C bindings for link from https://github.com/artfwo/link-c

It’s written for the clock module and might require some tweaking to work properly.

1 Like

+1 to Ableton link support for Norns.

I know just enough C be annoying so I might give your Gist a go. But also happy to help if there’s anything I could do to make this real.

1 Like

on a slightly offtopic note, i’ve got ableton link on norns working again after a bit of code revisiting, current progress can be tracked in the clock-link branch:

it still needs an investigation why beats go below zero sometimes, and maybe extended link bindings for controlling link thread using the API - can be handy for norns+norns etc. setups.

6 Likes

Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere; I couldn’t find it via search. If I have a norns script sending MIDI out (e.g., Kria MIDI), and I use a USB A to A cable to connect it to my laptop, how do I get my laptop to receive the MIDI from norns? I’m on a Mac (Catalina), and I’ve looked in both the system “Audio MIDI Setup”, where I don’t see it show up as a device, and I’ve tried looking in Logic X’s MIDI In options, where it also doesn’t show up.

USB A to A isn’t going to cut it, it’s not how USB-midi works. USB-midi requires a device and a host, and you are trying to connect two hosts. You need a thing like this one, or you might use midi cables as in-betweeners.

P.S. Loopop has recently made a video about this.

Stupid idea #54:

Could you run VCV Rack on the computer to act as a Link destination and then have a VCV module do clock to local MIDI conversion?

mmm, I believe Link is only for sync/start/stop, not for other midi messages (I might be wrong tho).

Oh duh. I was thinking of Clock only when I wrote that. :man_facepalming:

this works perfectly. over on the thread for Animator I posted a little trouble shooting vid, but it shows animator MIDI out sequencing a synth on my iPad, and I have the 2 connected with the sevillasoft adapter.

1 Like

This might be a really silly question but…
If using this kind of MIDI router…
https://www.iconnectivity.com/mioxm

Can I use Type A to Type A USB cables to connect from the mioXM to multiple norns?

Thanks for any help!

Not as is.

The USB ports on the Mio are Host ports and so are Norns. The Mio is expecting USB “devices”

To get 2 USB hosts to talk to each other you need some additional translating device.

It could be cheaper/easier to use DIN Midi to USB adapters to your Nornses here.

References:

Ah!

Thank you so much for the clarification!

I am not smart at this so please be kind. Tried connecting my iPad to Norns. Wanted to send some LFO’s from AUM. Is this really impossible?

Both are USB hosts, I believe. Can be remedied by small device or cable, check this - 2host - a DIY USBMIDI host-to-host adapter

2 Likes

I use the older model of this

4 Likes

i use an irig midi that plugs into the ipad and has midi in out & thru

https://www.amazon.com/IK-Multimedia-iRig-MIDI-2/dp/B00LFN72KW
or you can get an adapter of USB to Apple with a USB UNO which works on everything :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you. I figured it had something to do with host/host.

1 Like

Is this true? I am hoping to clock my modular from norns (fates variant) and have the norns be the master clock sending midi over a specific channel to a MI CVPal to do so. So far I’m not having a lot of luck, is this something that is script-specific?

Several times I clocked the modular with less concepts and cvpal set on channel 13 or 14 (before crow landed, that is).

While the norns is capable of sending midi information pertaining to the clock out through midi, it is incumbent on the script to apply that information. Basically, the script needs to take the clock and send the pulses out through a specific channel.

In other words, this idea you have COULD work, as long as the script and your MI CVPal are in agreement of the channel upon which the clock would be.

Try taking a look at the scripting of the less_concepts script and see if you could pull that portion out. Its a pretty complex script and it can be tough to pull these kinds of things out. I am not particularly adept at it yet, but have been learning Lua in an attempt to get better at it.

Might be worth looking in to adding the ability yourself. It’ll take an investment of time, but pay back dividends!

1 Like