Hudson Valley Modular & Experimental Music Community

I’m looking to start a community for people interested and involved in modular synth and experimental music/sound in NY’s Hudson Valley. Specifically in the Kingston/Red Hook area. I’ve spoken to a few people over the past few months and have heard a resounding “please!” when I asked if this was something worth organizing.

There’s now a group on Meetup and I’ve been looking around for a venue. If you’re interested please comment. Additionally, if there is anything you’re interested in contributing as a member (or co-organizer) or participating in some other way I’d love to know!

Adam

16 Likes

I’m in Northern NJ, but I would happily drive to Kingston. Please keep me posted.

1 Like

Great! Please sign up at the Meetup page and stay tuned.

Thanks for putting this together — I moved to Hudson last year and would love to play a show
-Gil

1 Like

I’m in Kingston and smashed that signup button. :grinning: Feel free to message me!

1 Like

My friend @nailmusic is very involved in the Hudson Valley Ableton community, might be a good person to connect with.

1 Like

Cool beans! My partner Ola and I are in northern NY state but we have played HiLo and the Avalon Lounge in Catskill, the Spotty Dog in Hudson, and the Kingston Artist Collective (in Kingston) in the last year or two! I’ll be watching this thread!

4 Likes

Let’s do it. I’m in Athens, but work out of Kingston.

There’s a show at Avalon this Wednesday that would be of interest to many of us: https://www.theavalonlounge.com/event-calendar/nathan-mclaughlin-dann-pell

3 Likes

I know @nailmusic. Back when I was still envisioning my music path being computer based he gave me an Ableton Live lesson.

1 Like

This is great to know @Claude! As we begin to look for a more permanent home these are locations I have on the short list. Is Kingston Artist Collective the location known as “ASK” down by the Rondout?

1 Like

The proprietor of the Kingston Artist Collective is one Daniel Rhinier, Facebook is https://www.facebook.com/kingstonartistcollective/
When we played there in the fall of '19 he anticipated a possible shift with the location. Tubby’s might also be a possibility to explore, though like many venues I am sure they are inundated with emails.

Hi, I’m in southwest NH, but would be down for an occasional trip down to the Hudson Valley (which is my home territory, having been born in Hudson, spending my first 7 years in Ghent, and then much later living in Hudson for a bit and then Nassau near Albany). Did a gig one time at the Spotty Dog with Al Margolis and Walter Wright (we’re called Three Beards Is Better Than One).

2 Likes

Thanks again for all of the enthusiasm!

I’m thinking of hosting a meeting at my office in Red Hook to meet some of you and start a group discussion on why we’re interested in this community, how often we should meet, where and what we hope to get out of the community.

March 10th is the date I have on my calendar. I’ll add it to the meetup and see what the response is. Click on over to the meetup group for more details.

1 Like

BUMP

Our meetup is about to have its third meeting (second virtual) this coming Thursday at 7PM EDT. If you’re in the rough geographic area (even just occasionally) and are vaguely interested please feel free to join our Zoom meeting. Some of us are also hanging out on Slack.

Cheers!
Adam

4 Likes

Wow! Thanks for giving this a bump! New Paltz checking in :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Welcome, Matthew! Look forward to chatting with you on Thursday.

7pm is a tricky time with kiddos :confused: - how long do they typically run? I’ve got four kids and that’s right around when bed time routines start and such, so I’m usually not freed up until a little after 8 or so.

I’ll certainly do what I can!

1 Like

Pop on in whenever! We’ve only had a couple meetings and they are informal, friendly affairs. Or pop on into the slack!

1 Like