I2c cable purchase advice

I just got a Teletype used and it didn’t have the i2c cable with it. Recommendations for where to purchase? I have an Ansible, Earthsea, and Just Friends i’d like to connect to it. Should the cable be longer that the one that normally comes with Teletype because of Just Friends? Any recommendations on which cable to get our very welcome!

0 Likes

http://www.mouser.com/Search/m_ProductDetail.aspx?r=485-371

0 Likes

Thanks! I’d like to get one that has the multiple sockets on it, like what is sent with Teletype. I’m sure if I call Mouser they can help me find one.

0 Likes

I’d recommmend doing the i2c bus, having all the sockets on one cable is a problem if one of the sockets disconnects from a module.

0 Likes

you can add extra headers yourself with a pair of pliers. get them here:

also check this out:

0 Likes

Oooo, nice, thanks Brian! I’ll order from OSH Park.

0 Likes

A user's guide to i2c

If you’ve got 3 devices connected, you should consider using the powered II board instead, especially if you’ll be adding more in the future.

1 Like

If I have Ansible, Earthsea, and Just Friends connected by the unpowered bus, or just by the ribbon cable, will this be too much? Is the powered bus necessary in this situation, or with more modules, or with the expanders?

0 Likes

I don’t know for definite, @bpcmusic is probably the expert on these matters…

0 Likes

that should be fine, but keep in mind the JF firmware isn’t complete yet. generally the ergonomics of a bus board are much improved over a multi-ribbon.

0 Likes

Haven’t tested these three together explicitly, but the rule of thumb seems to be that three are fine under regular use cases. (Not sure about hyper-aggressive polling that has been enabled by the latest improvements from @sam and @scanner_darkly.)

If you connect four or more, you need the powered bus board.

1 Like

Ok, unpowered bus ordered. Thanks!

0 Likes