Improving the signal chain

Just curious as to how this could happen in the first place?

For me, it’s happened when I double-mic my guitars and vocals and the distances apart pick up things differently and they end up being slightly out of phase. I’ve been so out of the loop with recordings with mics that I can’t even recall the language. Thankfully, my buddy Carl Saff fixed it on one of my 45s for me. :slight_smile: But yeah, it can really mess with the sonics.

The Little Labs IBP is awesome for fixing this, and it’s especially nice because you can dial in the phase much more correctly/precisely than with the two options on a phase switch. Only lame thing is that it’s 600 bucks for a utility, but handily there’s a plugin version (which is what I use).

so many reasons… any instrument that exists in that range that had phase issues during the recording… a lot of reverb plug ins throw in extra width at the expense of phase… there’s even a piano library where certain specific single notes are out of phase from all the others.

I find that some effects units sum signals to mono and then put them through a stereo effect, which can cause odd phase issues.

I’d be interested to know what a phase correction tool does to a signal appart from moving the signal in time.
Could one use only a simple delay unit (built in SC, Max, Reaktor, etc.) and solve a phase issue between two tracks ?

I’m guessing you could make your own if you’re handy with that kind of plugin creation/coding etc. I’m not sure exactly how a regular phase switch works, aside from just flipping it 180 degrees. The nice thing about the IBP is that you can precisely dial in to the perfect spot where phase alignment is ideal. Logically it seems like delay would work but could it be that simple? Haha… :thinking:

A typical use of an allpass filter is to alter phase at controlled frequencies without altering gain! since digital allpass filters (digital almost everything, really) are very short delays, I guess this is a good example of your guess!

I purchased the UA version for $25 I believe (on sale and most likely using coupons).

Haha ditto! It was cheap to begin with, but kinda murdered it with the sale :laughing:

Thank you for your insight, I haven’t been thinking about allpass filters for a long time…

Out of curiosity, what microphones are you all using and on what sources? What’s your signal chain for these mics? I’m thinking of adding to my very modest mic collection for tracking my acoustic and electric guitars.

Lots of ribbons for drums and guitar amps- Coles 4038.

My favourite mics that I own are:

• Ev RE20
  • Beyerdynamic M201 and M88
  • Shure KM44
  • Michael July mod MXL 990

My favourite mic rentals for specific sessions:

• Royer 121
  • Coles 4038
  • Neumann U87

I also often rent preamps when I need to do serious recording… otherwise I just use the preamps in my audio interface (which has changed a number of times over the years).

I have a few outboard compressors and things, but tend to record uncompressed/effected to digital and then add things after based on the piece.

I also tend to use all sort of things on all sources. Lots of experimentation… Generally I love the RE20 on bass, vocals, and low frequency drums… but have also used it for electric guitar, room ambience, and lots of other things.

The Beyer M201 is an amazing all around dynamic mic. Sometimes described as “if the SM57 was a real mic”…