In-rack interactivity when using computer-run scripts?

hello! I’ve been using ansible for a while, and really appreciate how the buttons present on the module can be used as a Shift key or to access alternate “pages” on a grid or arc. i’m looking at writing a sequencer using crow as my CV I/O and grid as the interface, and it’d be great if i could keep all 128 grid buttons normally interactive, rather than dedicating a button on grid to be my Shift.

for workflow and focus purposes, i wanted to avoid relying on on-laptop interactions to change params—if i have to, has anyone done this in a way they’re happy with? should i look into using in2 on crow somehow, or is designating a button or row on the grid (:cry:) my best bet?

cheers!

it’s also possible i’m just using the wrong tools for the job, haha. would y’all recommend i look into teletype or another setup if i’m going to be doing a lot of this sort of thing?

nope, you’re totally right—my laptop would be the intermediary. however, i was hoping to avoid interacting with my laptop while working in the modular space, or at the very least figuring out how to interact with my laptop in the best/least disruptive way. i’d much prefer keeping all interaction on-rack or on-grid :frowning:

sorry, i deleted my post :slight_smile:

but cool cool, so you’re going to use the laptop to shuffle the data between grid and crow. are you planning to use Max? I ask because…

thoughts

this could be a pretty minimally invasive job in Max – you could make a patch so that if you press the spacebar, the grid changes. or grab a USB footswitch and make that the trigger, underfoot.

I’m curious what the on-rack version looks like for you – what would you want to use to trigger the shift if you were going to purpose crow’s in2 to that function? and then I guess I’d wonder if that gesture is more or less invasive than setting up a gesture on the laptop that’ll be (necessarily) involved?

ooo keeping it on-grid: you could use a combination of grid keys that would still respect their individual functions – the way that Earthsea uses multifinger gestures to perform different actions on the same grid surface as playing notes. this might be the least invasive route :slight_smile:. eg. only when four grid keys held down at once, you switch to the ALT page, but those four keys when pressed individually just play notes

2 Likes

good thought! i’ll play with gestures that might make sense/would be unlikely to occur in normal usage.

yeah, seems like a max job :slight_smile:
re: on-rack—i guess i was imagining i could use a maths offset channel to switch between 2-3 big voltage ranges (min/12 o’clock/max) or something. little weird + i’d like to be able to use in2 for more fun CV.
USB footswitch would honestly be perfect, but spacebar could do… thanks a bunch! super helpful.

1 Like