Index of norns-related resources

I added a section at the end of the page.

Don’t hesitate to tell me if things are not clear enough or if you want something added.

1 Like

This is awesome dude! Just what noobs like me need. I’d love a list of the super collider engines please. I’ve had some experience with collider in the 90’s but forgotten it all…

3 Likes

you can execute tab.print(engine.names) in maiden to see a list of the engines installed on your norns
and there’s the lib tag in the project manager that indicate that the project includes an engine.

edit : i had too many tab opened and i missed the context of the op. now looking at the page (really helpfull !) i see there’s already a list of engines.

1 Like

worst first topic ever! Do you even forum?!
il_570xN.2084760792_glwy

for real this is a great first post and welcome to lines!

1 Like

Thank you very much for this!

I think the required devices will be a nice addition to the table of scripts (require grid, arc and etc)

Thanks for collecting this! Some thoughts on a couple different categories of FAQ:

1. what / why is norns?
    The resource that I think best contextualized norns for me is the Approaching: norns thread which introduced the project to the community. As of this writing said topic has run to an imposing 2,583 posts (!), but the bottom of the first post in the topic has links to 6 different posts from Brian which looked at different aspects of the design and answer this question quite nicely. I think these form a really nice piece of tech writing, and should perhaps get added to the official docs or otherwise immortalized.
  2. how’s that different from a _____?
    This seems like potentially a good section for a resource like this, but there are so many devices available that it can easily spiral out of control, maybe even if restricted to “sound computers designed around their reprogrammability” or similar. But there are several comparisons that come up a lot, as well as a lot of questions about the comparative strengths of monome’s different programmable devices.
  3. what do I need to get started?
    The Hardware and Development sections cover this. Some tips on development setup seem like a nice addition here. In addition to using the maiden editor I’m aware of Atom and vim approaches as well as this tool that watches for file changes.
  4. what all can it do / what apps exist?
    Wow you’ve collected loads of data here! I wonder if something like the feature matrix could be generated from the JSON catalog used by maiden, maybe using slightly more structure in the tags, like ["audio-in:required", "midi-in:optional"].
7 Likes

Some very good suggestions here.

I propose that in a first time we’ll link to the thread / posts with a tagline such as “want to know more”?

If they are deeply technical, the official doc might be more suited.

Yes indeed, selecting a list of “similar” devices is hard.
Maybe can we flip it differently have a “what can it be?” section.

It would list a wide range of apps Norns already has and from what they compare to, e.g.:

• analogue additive synth: molly_the_polly, JUNO
  • 4-track tape recorder: reels, OP-1’s
  • multieffect: pedalboard, many existing pedals
  • sample player: timber/keys, 64fingers, MPCs

People don’t really need any development knowledge to use the norns, given the wide array of existing apps. So they don’t really need much to “get started”. Maybe this section should be called what do I need to get started making apps?.

Also, maybe should we move the development sections after the list of apps, which would interest most people?

I will link the alt editors setup. I don’t know how you’re supposed to use the file watcher tool so would need some more background about it.

Having this data in the JSON would be ideal. I also made this list / table as a few apps I like are not on maiden (grd, fretwork) or have alternative names (spacetime).

I feel like for beginner developers maiden covers things pretty well (& undoubtedly exists so beginners don’t have to worry about this). I’m in the early stages of working on a guide for command line development with norns though - it’s a pretty great workflow and there are a lot of things that more code comfortable folks can take advantage of

3 Likes

Added section What / why is norns? and What can it do?.

Overhauled hardware section.

Moved Development sections after list of apps (Apps section).

Added a bunch of missing apps and SuperCollider engines.

Uniformized formatting.

3 Likes

Added a Table of Contents, Contributing section and License.

(+ various fixes and additions)

Thank you for this incredibly useful page. I noticed that the Compass script is missing. Is there any specific reason?

No. It’s just that the list is not yet complete :sweat_smile:

I add missing apps from time to time and people also propose additions. I’d say we’re 80% there.

It takes time to search each app features, make a non-poetic description and find appropriate demos and documentation if any.

Also, please note that I make mistakes from time to time (e.g. concerning the features, I don’t necessarily download each app to test them).

As stated at the end of the page contributions are welcome to speed things up and validate apps already registered.

1 Like

I perfectly understand. So please take it as a contribution to improve the page :slight_smile:

FWIW - the hardware section for Fates case options should maybe be acrylic/DIY instead of no?

1 Like

@Cloud, Compas added, among others.

Fixed. Also would appreciate a review concerning the audio path field. Does the fate have an isolated audio power section like the original norns?

1 Like

I’m not sure I understand the intent of the audio path field.

The DAC chip on Fates is powered by a separate precision voltage regulator (does this mean it’s isolated?), whereas I believe the shield DAC is powered directly from the RasPi 3.3v pin.

(However… In practice, “noise” in the design isn’t so much about where the power is coming from, but how analog/digital grounds are placed in relation to the audio and other signals.)

The compatibility field is also a question for me. Fates is fully compatible with all norns scripts. The underlying norns software stack does have minor tweaks and I maintain a fork for those - as you note this is in part due to using a different kernel - but I’m not sure that’s an important distinction for that comparison chart. (updates to the fork are usually made within a day or two of monome releasing an norns update).

Last suggestion/tweak - Fates has not been open sourced.

Thanks for your time.

Oh yeah, this edit comes from @tehn. No voluntary finger pointing / name dropping, I guess he chose his words (“isolated” / “noise”) in a context of popularization, not scientific accuracy.

In practice that still makes an additional filtering stage for the powering of the audio section, right?

Does it really make a difference? I don’t know, depends on how well filtered the power coming from the RasPi GPIO pins is. Would need the user experience of somebody plugin in a crappy power outlet at a gig to really tell.
I guess it just means that it’s a more “following the textbooks” design. *

* I only have limited experience in analogue circuit design, not digital, and only as a hobby. So don’t hesitate to tell me if I say something utterly stupid or have any suggestion for a clarification that wouldn’t sound too nerdy for the average reader.

I agree this is misleading. Maybe should we rename this field to something else?

Something like update cycle?

And still keep a sentence bellow that states that all 3 versions are fully compatible with any app.

Oh I thought it was after stumbling upon https://github.com/okyeron/fates. I see the that the gerber are not on the repo. I’ll fix this sentence then.

1 Like

I’ve been silently keeping this page up to date

Notable changes:

• added a lingo section
  • used the scripts word instead of apps, as it seems to be more accepted by the community
  • almost 100% coverage of usable musical scripts
  • updated links to newer documentation
  • updated links/pricing according to newer norns shield offering (sturdier case)

I’m still very open to moving some parts of this page to the main doc (see my original comment).

Maybe people with experience authoring for the main doc (such as @dan_derks and @csboling) could help pinpoint what sections would benefit a merge?

10 Likes

thank you for keeping this resource up to date :sparkles:

it’d be great to add some of the depth and specificity of the repo to this section of the docs: https://monome.org/docs/norns/app/.

these are the scripts that come preloaded on norns / are in the fresh image
- arcologies (@tyleretters)
- ash (collected) 
- awake (@tehn)
- barcode (@infinitedigits)
- benjolis (@scazan)
- boingg (@Justmat)
- cheat_codes (@dan_derks) 
- compass (@Olivier) 
- cranes (@dan_derks 
- cyrene (@21echoes) 
- dronecaster (so many folks! initiated by @tyleretters) 
- dunes (@Olivier) 
- euclidigons (@synthetivv + @setfield ) 
- foulplay (@Justmat)
- glut (@artfwo) 
- greyhole (@Justmat) 
- less_concepts (@dan_derks) 
- lissadron (@LFSaw) 
- loom (@markeats + @instantjuggler)  
- mangl (@Justmat)
- mlr (@tehn) 
- molly_the_polly (@markeats) 
- moln (@jah) 
- oooooo (@infinitedigits)
- otis (@Justmat) 
- passersby (@markeats) 
- patchwork (@Olivier) 
- phyllis (@Justmat) 
- pools (@Justmat) 
- showers (@Justmat) 
- step (@jah) 
- timber (@markeats) 
- timeparty (@crim) 
- tuner (@markeats) 
- we (collected)
- wrms (@andrew) 
- why

starting points:

• i like that the repo has granularity around script categories – that’s really helpful for orientation. on the docs page, it’d be great to find a balance so that no category has less than 4 scripts in it.
  • each of the stock scripts should be present on the docs page with a short description
  • i/o is a really crucial component, but i get absolutely lost remembering what each of the table columns indicate – maybe a legend can be established to indicate whether, for example, a script has baked-in crow functionality (eg. ^^) ?
    • it’d also be awesome to find a way to address questions about a script’s grid size (64 vs 128 vs 256) and brightness (varibright vs 4-step vs mono) compatibility

lmk your thoughts + if you have any q’s – thank you for offering your help! :rocket:

1 Like

i might suggest the tag grid-legacy or similar to indicate specific support

1 Like