[Indianapolis, Wednesday, 9/11/19] Duet for Theremin and Lap Steel

The Playground is honored to host for another evening of Electronic & Experimental music:
Duet for Theremin and Lap Steel

The band consists of
Scott Burland: Theremin
Frank Schultz: Lap Steel guitar

“The name of this Atlanta duo implies a proper classical recital, a rigid formality. But Scott Burland (theremin) and Frank Schultz (lap steel) don’t do scripted, improvising not so much distinct sounds as evolving eddies of sound, vapors of tones that develop and transform gracefully. Hypnotic pulses and dreamy drones weave together to form a kaleidoscope of sounds and moods, ambient clouds and swooning collages that are as much about texture as they are timbre, like a long-lost soundtrack to a deep-sea documentary.” -P. Wall, Columbia Free Times

There will also be a special guest opening for them: Violet Housekid and romjay!!!

romjay is the voltage-controlled exploration of samples, synthesis, and composition by Indianapolis resident Philip Ramge since 2017. Specializing in uncompromised, raw soundscapes built from an unending array of synthesis models, romjay’s palette is understated and unfiltered. A synthesist’s synthesist, romjay is always engaging new forms of composition and arrangement.

Violet Housekid is the solo project of Indianapolis-based Violet Salas. Her abstract dub, propelled by sparse drums, sits at the sonic intersection of House and Avant Garde. Sticky beats and creamy FM polyphony dissolve into the subaquatic spaces which Violet Housekid creates on the modular synthesizer, backed by skillfully chopped samples and a patch cable melange of mutating modulations.

5529 N Bonna Ave #10, Indianapolis, Indiana 46219
Doors open at 730PM
Violet Housekid & romjay 8PM
Duet for Theremin and Lap Steel 9PM
All Ages Welcome!
12 and under are free
Door $5

1 Like

I wish I could get there!

I’d like to see you and Violet perform, and I’ve been a fan of the duet for a while now – though I see I’m way behind on their catalog!

Before I got into modular I attempted both the theremin and the lap steel, completely coincidentally. I found I’m not good at either…

1 Like

Say hi to Scott & Frank for me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Bumping this for visibility before I go set up! Although I think there’s only a few Indy locals on lines :no_mouth:

1 Like

<<< Indy native, was happy to see this was about you and Violet. Hope to get up there sometime soon. Have a great show!!

2 Likes