Info 2 - Hourglasses recorded as meditation timers

As a meditator, I’ve been on the search for the perfect meditation timer for a couple of years. Went from phone to cooking clocks, to the timer on my stove in the kitchen, but I kept realising that the chime divides my practice and daily life. I want something more seamless. Hourglasses are beautiful timers, but not really useful with your eyes closed. So, I started researching how to extract sound from them. I experimented with laser but ended up building contact microphones to capture the sand falling and being able to swap glasses easily.

How beautiful the noise is! An excellent noisy mask with wavy patterns due to the sand sliding. What surprised me, even more, was the silence at the end, which would send me off in a free-fall after the session, allowing me to choose to sit a bit longer.

Initially, I wanted to release these hourglass mics as a product, but stumbled upon problems with the extreme amplification; the bigger the hourglass, the more room noise. I considered the research a failure because any obvious solution (noise emulation, noise cancellation) would defeat the purpose. So I decided to go the simple way and record 5 different hourglasses in an anechoic chamber and release them as an album instead, which releases today!

I hope it may help you with your practice and spark a bit of wonder in your day. Would love to hear how it helps you!

To give back to this wonderful community, here are some download codes. Use them here.

edit: thanks for all the positive responses! added some new codes :kissing_heart:
edit: all gone now! Enjoy!

wqdm-6qss
c849-k9cd
susu-gz4c
swqx-uzjw
ssgs-j6zs
kzhs-wjwm

3hn3-6xdw
uyec-cydg
mk6c-w3x3
9zy4-wsjs
n2kj-cd8d
wvy6-wdbh
h8sg-6kcd
4n4n-g94c
4wpl-u9jw

Here’s a video of the process. Unfortunately the video wasn’t recorded in the anechoic chamber and had to filter quite some of the background noise, so it’s quite a bit less fidelity than the album.

52 Likes

20 char of nifty idea. Thx for sharing!

1 Like

Thank you. You can hear the individual grains! Amazing.

1 Like

Thank you! I’ve been looking for something like this!

1 Like

thank you! they sound so wonderful to hear while i code.

1 Like

Love it! I used hgyk-cdsv. Take care.

1 Like

Such a great idea. Thanks! I used c42h-ytkl

1 Like

That’s a really cool concept, thank you (used h8sg-6kcd)

1 Like

I took this one :wink:
a very nice idea for a less obtrusive ending for timing, but also just nice to listen to regardless

1 Like

thank you! used qlmt-jcd2

1 Like

thanks so much! super cool idea and great service to meditating community of us!

1 Like

Thanks for all the heart-warming feedback all! Imposter syndrome has been hitting hard when it comes to my art recently and this does me well! :heart: Adding some new download codes!

4 Likes

Such a cool project, thank you!

1 Like

Fantastic work. Love the concept and realization. Bravo!

Thank you for sharing the codes. I used 9zy4-wsjs.

1 Like

This is super cool. Will be using it for work.

I used n2kj-cd8d.

1 Like

Very cool. I used this code up above. Thank you. I’ll use the 3 and 10 a lot, and aspire to the longer ones. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

thank you so much for creating this. i took the code above.

1 Like

Thank you, I used this code. :pray:

1 Like

Have a goal for the next year to begin developing a meditation practice. Thank you for sharing this project, I used the code above :hourglass_flowing_sand:

1 Like

This is a great idea! I used susu-gz4c

1 Like