Inhaler

i’m gonna try this one more time because i’m proud of this album

I made this with small clips of field recordings and textured samples i made on my Zoom H5 pasted together on a very small time scale in Ableton to form larger textures that exist in a synthetic space. It is meant to be a sort of asmr album. Please listen on headphones or a good system if possible to get the full intended listening experience

this was never officially released due to personal non music related reasons so it’s just something i want to throw out there in case any of you enjoy listening. i made it like 3 years ago now.

thanks

9 Likes

This is absolutely my kind of album (as you’d guess from our several conversations on here) and I am busting to getting around to listening to it. I’ll see if I can set aside the time tonight. A napping child just earlier gave a perfect opening but it slipped my mind (along with various other pursuits). I assure you it’s in my sights.

1 Like

yeah i was hoping you would. thanks for listening, i hope you like it

this is very intense, thanks for making and sharing.

1 Like

This is great. Moves a bit quickly for my taste, but apart from that, it’s right up my alley. Thank you so much for sharing!

1 Like

it does move quick. i thought that when listening recently. it’s hard to spread the shit out when you’re on such a micro time scale without using long meandering droney textures but i do have to figure out how to slow it down. good feedback, thanks

If I may ask, how did you go about recording this? Was it just straight via the internal mics of the Zoom H5 or do you have any mic preferences for this sort of thing? I’m working in similar sonic territories, but usually only with synthesized sounds. I have recently been thinking about incorporating field recordings and microsound-textures like these (especially for further granular processing), but I don’t have much experience with microphones and recording techniques, so I would be very interested to hear more about your process. Again, the sounds are right up my alley :smiley:

3 Likes

i dont have any knowledge of microphones. i have a jez riley french c-series contact mic with the neutrik jack that i used a little here, plugged into the h5. otherwise yeah i just use the stereo mic that’s attached to the zoom. i think they sound really good at least compared to anything else i’ve used. i do focus on processing a lot though.

so first i’ll take the samples from the Zoom and put them into iZotope Rx8 and typically i leave a bout 30 seconds in the beginning of each recording to capture a noise profile. then i’ll use that noise profile to do spectral de-noise in rx-8 and set the strength and threshold according to how much i want to remove from the original source. sometimes i will use de-wind for transients because that works better in my case than de-rustle or de-click. then sometimes eq out the low frequencies in rx8 as well.

in ableton, i take a very small section of a texture that i like, process that with stock ableton effects like the compressor, frequency shifter, eq8, saturator, phaser, (sometimes) corpus, maybe grain delay. but just enough to kind of transform it into a new texture or enhance what i like about the recorded one. after that, sometimes i’ll layer two of those small pieces together but in most cases, i will move onto the next micro-audio clip and paste that right up against, a lot of times crossfading heavily into the last clip on the timeline. this way i can create new longer phrases or tactile surface layers that evolve and give some sense of movement by piecing together the smallest fundamental blocks of audio particulate that i can and sort of building up a new synthesized binaural space. that’s why it moves fast. each 2 seconds of audio probably took 30 minutes to edit. i also spent a lot of time moving those sounds around in space with various surround sound or spatializer plugins and the waves doppler. DearVr Pro is one of the best ones for that sort of thing, in my opinion

i was really happy when i developed that very detailed minimal process in ableton because it really cut out a lot of the excess audio i would typically add in to fill space or add ambience as a background. previously i was getting used to putting some reverbed tonal sound underneath these foreground sounds and letting that drift across a longer space in time but i wanted to make this album very precise and only include the sounds that i built deliberately from the ground up. but that was a while ago. and i think that, by now, i have figured out how to get even cooler textures from hardware synthesis whether it is digital or analog. it was mostly in an effort to get away from the computer at first but i’m finding that it’s even easier now to build entirely original highly textured organic-feeling sounds that way. and it’s more fun. but you can do a lot with just the simple stock plugins to manipulate recordings. i think i did use a little bit of granulator II on some of the sounds. maybe some m4l devices like samsara, grain scanner, and iota. but for the most part, it’s subtle frequency changes and transient shaping

3 Likes

Thanks! That’s already super helpful. Your processing workflow sounds somewhat similar to mine, but I haven’t messed with spatialization to that degree, yet. That’s one thing I really liked about your album, there’s so much happening in the stereofield. I will definitely look into that. Again, thank you so much for sharing the album and your process!

I’m currently on my third listen and am thoroughly enjoying it :smiley:

1 Like

Very cool indeed, thanks for sharing!

1 Like

I’m not super familiar with this kind of thing but I find it very interesting to listen to, thanks for sharing! I like a lot of the different sound textures and I like that it sounds, to me, familiar and recognizable yet otherworldly. A kind of sonic uncanny valley.

2 Likes

that’s an awesome description. thanks for listening

thank you all for the feedback .i appreciate knowing that other people enjoy the same kinds of sounds that i do. it’s probably not my magnum opus, but it’s definitely the first thing i made that i actually enjoy listening to. feels good to get to that point

3 Likes