Initenere

randomly tricking out the parameters is beyond fun. this script invites exploration of a lot of musical territory in a really short time. absolutely amazing work :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Some very sublime ideas here. Quite intuitive to jump right in with. An emergent crossroads.

1 Like

If updated my norns (shield) but still have the error. Any idea? I updated all scripts, is Initenere using some other scripts that have to be installed as well? Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Do you have Molly The Poly installed? If not, install that, reboot and try again.

2 Likes

Yes, that was it. Thanks a lot!

2 Likes

(rather important) UPDATE

• Added velocity for w/synth (no more clipping)
  • Rework of the note quantization to scales, octaves and offsets (this was actually broken, playing too many root notes. Update for improved note diversity).
  • Easter egg - uncomment code to change from Molly the Poly to the excellent Mx.Samples by @infinitedigits .
11 Likes

How do I do this? Can I do it in params? OR will I need to do some scripting (never done this!)

1 Like

Yes, you need to do changes in the code in order to make this happen. If you decide to do it and the script “breaks” and/or you get lost - just uninstall it and install it again. There is also code in there for Engine: Thebangs which you unlock the same way. I might work on adding this as an option in params later. Want to focus on all core functionality first though.

3 Likes

I just did this! And oh wow it’s cool!

(Hint - use the search function in the maiden editor to find instances “mx.samples” in the text of the script)

Edit: back at it again this morning for some background ambience while working on some other things in the office. This really just feels like cheating:)

3 Likes

I’ve been using this bad boy and I very much enjoy what’s coming out. Sounds wonderful and is a blast to play with!

I do have a few concerns and questions:

First is, could someone do a video on how that bottom row effects notes played? I’m a little at a loss for how that works.

The second is more of a global clock question for norns, but might be able to be implemented in this script. Basically, there is not transport style start/stop/reset function. As well, I have noticed a bit of clock drift as well. If I try and use this to create melodies in sync with a drum beat on Live using Ableton Link, my norns and this script in particular drift all over. Is there any way to a) check to see if Link is causing clock drift and b) if this script could implement an on beat reset function?

Thanks!

1 Like

Sure. At boot this script is seeded a random note matrix. 16 notes in a 4x4. These notes are then triggered by the horizontal sequencers. But the vertical sequencers can also effect the output. The vertical sequencers move the notes around in chosen speeds. So in order the hear the effect you must first chose a direction of the vertical sequencers (this is done at the top of the screen). The bottom options then effect what speed these notes are moved. So having speed ‘4x’ and forward direction on all vertical and horizontal would result in no note changes because the notes would always meet up at the same place.

Hope this helps you understand?

As for the clock thing… I can do some tests. The timing is based on the system clock and @tyleretters Lattice. I’ll revisit the code to see if I might have done something that would make it drift.

Thanks for your feedback!

3 Likes

Just curious, what is the meaning of the name of this script?

2 Likes

siniestros in itinere: accidents which happen on one’s way to or from work

Hopefully these accidents will be of the happy kind.

5 Likes

Oh, I meant to write you and say that I tested the clock drift thing, and that there is a small drift over time when “link”
is the clock source.

2 Likes

I’ve tested it as well and can also confirm. It drifts in and out of phase. Not sure what is causing this, a bit above my head to analyze if it’s a Norns system issue, my wifi connection that drags link down or my script. I’m working on looking into it tho. Hope to pin point the issue and fix it. Let’s call it a feature in the meantime :wink:

4 Likes

Ha, yes, it says a lot about my current music that I didn’t actually notice until @kasselvania brought it up :rofl::rofl::rofl:

As I often say about my guitar playing, “it’s not out of tune, man; it’s dissonance

7 Likes

Thanks for this great script. One little thing I noticed when I tried it with the thebangs engine. thebangs triggers only one note at a time. So if Initenere plays 4 notes at once like a chord, thebangs processes them one by one with millisecond delays.

2 Likes

Ah. This was a very quick hack from me just to try it out. Didn’t really stress test it. Thanks for noticing and reporting. Not sure however if I’m motivated / have time to fix this right now.

1 Like

I think people are just noticing the slight latency in thebangs due to compiling synthdefs on each note. I shouldnt have allowed this to stand, I was just copying PolyPerc and keeping it simple to follow.

Will just go ahead and change it.

4 Likes

I am without a doubt too thick to understand how on earth Initenere works and what it even is, but i want to let you know that I have created something quite wonderful with it today, so thank you :blush:

PS as a cyclist and pedestrian I am glad that I managed to calm down the traffic to be friendly, safe, clear and convenient for everyone :bike::traffic_light::vertical_traffic_light::children_crossing:

1 Like