Inspired food, drink

Yes! I’m all for everyone adopting a more seasonally appropriate diet! With the impending doom of Brexit, we may have no choice!

I feel turnips are severely underrated.

Those khinkali look like Chinese soup dumplings. I’ve never had one, but I saw Anthony Bourdain eat one on his show and they looked soooo good! I did have potstickers last week. Aaaaand now I’m hungry…

Plain carbonated water is usually called “seltzer” in English, or “Club Soda” when mineral salts have been added. A seltzer bottle is the metal bottle in which water is charged using a CO2 cartridge.

I count seltzer as one of my favorite drugs. It unclogs the throat and stimulates the mind with its unconstrained fizziness. I love to drink it from a glass, so I can feel the bubbles sparkling against my face.

Unfortunately, it’s also acidic and is therefore not so good for teeth enamel or stomach. Also, did you know that the pleasurable sensation on your tongue is actually being caused by pain receptors?

I had homemade root beer once and it was considerably less sweet than commercial root beer. Actually, here in Seattle there are at least a couple of businesses that make craft ginger beer, and it’s also a lot less sweet the supermarket equivalent. Reducing the sugar seems to emphasize the herbal flavors.

Much like my diet during my upbringing in Newfoundland (Canada). Island in the North Atlantic nicknamed “The Rock”? Yeah, kinda hard to grow much else. Plus we’re definitely made from the same pasty-skinned English/Irish stock. :smiley:

I’ve definitely become more focused on eating seasonally appropriate foods. There’s so many reasons. It keeps me from eating the same thing all the time (variety and all that), the produce tends to taste better, and it also tends to be from closer by.

I just winged it the other night and made some brown rice and then topped it with roasted squash and sweet potato, some steamed kale, and some toasted pumpkin seeds, and then with some lemony vinaigrette drizzled over the top. So easy, so tasty!

I can’t work out if this is a joke or not, but there are LOADS of seasonal winter veg in the UK, e.g

https://www.vegsoc.org/sslpage.aspx?pid=525

Tough but not impossible. We were getting all our vegetables from a local growing coop here in Glasgow, they supplied all through winter. The problem for us was lack of variety.

That bakery in Walthamstow is amazing, I wish there was a similar one further down in Hackney… Difficult to find a good one imho.

My vote is for Fever Tree tonic here- even if you leave the gin out.
Why is it so hard to find a soft drink without artificial sweeteners , saccharine , aspartame… I absolutely refuse to drink that shit. What really annoys me is that it can be put into a bottle baring the text ‘no articfical flavoring’? which is just deceit.

Anyway this tonic has a nice bitter taste some sugar and if you try to have 3 or 4 alcohol free days a week sort of tricks your body. Like the way it invites you to sip it. Slow.

Also trying to drink more black tea.

We use fever tree at my work. I drink my gin with soda water and lemon, and I’m not fussed on tonic, but have heard that it is the best!

It’s not a joke, it’s just not entirely accurate! But a lot of those things really are roots. Anyhow, all I meant was that some of the traditional seasonal fare in the UK has fallen out of favour now that we can fly slightly underwhelming vegetables in from foreign greenhouses.

I am greatly enjoying the seasonality and variety in our vegetable box, and am greatly pleased by the regular volume of beetroot.

Almería, Spain

eesh in 20 characters

the top picture looks strangely beautiful.

Resurrecting this thread because I want to get into fermenting/pickling and thought resident expert @kimchiboy might have some pearls of wisdom for people who don’t know what they’re doing and/or don’t have those funny jars with the tubes on top to let the gas out.

I’ve been getting really into trying new hot sauces recently, and have a small collection going so I can have the right sauce for all the different foods I cook at home. Favs at the moment, for any other hot sauce lovers out there:

• Diemens Stinger Hot Sauce, which uses a native pepper berry from Tasmania. I’m ultra sparing with this one because I can’t buy it in the UK, so I have to get people to bring it over from home when they’re passing through.

• Pain Is Good Jamaican Style, which is a bit sweeter due to the fruit juice in it, but tends to differ quite a lot batch to batch, so the current ones aren’t anywhere near as hot as the last few bottles I’ve tried.

Spring is approaching quickly and my body is ready for the ingredients that will bring!

If you ever want anything sent over, just hit me up.

resident expert! i’m honored! two important things to keep in mind when fermenting stuff at home:

1. “spoiled” is a social construct [to a large extent]
  2. people have been making food better/last longer through fermentation since way way before we knew what bacteria is

on thing 1: when you’re dealing with vegetables, as long as you have sanitized tools there is a pretty low chance that any harmful bacteria will form, and in my experience it’s pretty obvious when something has gone totally wrong [black mold, really horrible smells, etc]. meat and dairy is a totally different story, and i can’t really advise you there.

on thing 2: as long as you keep the solids submerged under the liquids, rubber-banding some cheesecloth over a jar to keep stuff from falling in should be sufficient for a quick ferment! if you want to get crazy, pick up a 2-pack of airlocks your local homebrew store and drill a hole in a plastic bucket lid.

i really admire sandor katz’s philosophy on fermentation and i would recommend the Art of Fermentation or Wild Fermentation for related reading.

i’ve been daydreaming about starting a home-fermented food swap in this community since i found out @tehn 's fridge is full of kimchi last month… if we got some shippable coolers made it might be possible? that may be worthy of its own thread.

good luck with your hot sauce journey!

One of the joys of drinking pu-erh tea in the gong fu style is experiencing how the tea changes from the first infusion (which I rarely drink) to the last. It’s a journey I love taking with other people, as that allows me the chance to not only experience my journey with the tea but hear/see how others experience it as well.

If you’re a fan of Yunnan, then you’ll enjoy Tea Masters. Stéphane Erler is a wonderful person and his blog never fails to entertain and inform. I’ve enjoyed every tea I’ve purchased from him.

Thanks for the recommendations on pu-erh @Kel @bobbcorr !
I’ve tried it a couple of times and really enjoyed it but found it very hard to navigate what quality/price I should start with, good resellers etc. I’ll check out the links you provided.

Do you know any good introductions to brewing techniques/teapots etc?

Regarding baking bread and sourdough. I got a starter from my father and have been baking sourdough rye bread every week for at least a 1,5 year now. Took some to get in to it, get to know the yeast/process and fine tune my recipe. Stopped buying bread from the store completely - mine taste better, is cheaper and I get to decide all the ingredients myself. It’s a wholesome experience on every level :slight_smile:

I got a book on introductory baking with sourdough, sadly only available in Swedish. But that’s my advice anyway, get some starter (or start your own) and find a good resource with simple, well-explained recipes … and expect it to not go as planned the first couple of times :laughing: