Introducing patchshare.co

Hi, I’d like to introduce a private project of mine: patchshare.co

It’s kind of a ‘modern’ approach to the classic patchbook - a way to store modular patches and share them with others online.

Using YAML language you can build racks from modules, you can patch virtual cables and set states of GUI elements such as sliders, toggles and dials. In addition, you can also set displays to show which preset or script you were using in the patch and you can add external files such as audio, midi or scripts via external links (as of now, to save server traffic I haven’t included file uploads, yet). A render engine turns those YML files into SVG images that can be embedded online or used for printing. Starting as a personal tool to store my own patches, I made it publicly available today.

I invite everyone to give it a try and give her feedback - I know that there’s so much stuff to do to make it useful and useable for everyone. As of now, the module library is pretty empty since it’s just the modules I use personally, but if you are a bit of a nerd, you can easily add your own modules :wink: Here’s a small example patch and here you can see all the components you can use to build your own modules.

29 Likes

What I forgot to mention: you can also add -time attributes to change GUI positions and patch cables over time

3 Likes

This looks great to me. I like the simple clean graphics. I need a way to illustrate patches for my PhD, I’ll have a go at using it if you keep going with it!

1 Like

Just ping me if you need help using it or an explanation on how to build custom modules.

This is a neat project but needing to create an account to try it out is a nonstarter for me. Would you consider supporting anonymous use (without saving, probably), or implementing passwordless authentication?

1 Like

Hi,
working on that project for quite a long time it feels naturally to me having an account to ‘own’ part of the database, storing patches and being able to control with whom you store those patches… as far as I understand, you’d like to try out the system without further control?
I recognised that - as now - there isn’t a possibility to see what the system can do without signing up, so that’s real valuable feedback of yours… so here is an example of how a shared patch would be accessible by someone without an account: https://www.patchshare.co/patches/DWzhPkwEExiX/ …and here’s an (not so practical) example of a patch with lots of states and components: https://www.patchshare.co/patches/MU0KD0dSg13A/ … as of now I think it’s not possible to upload patches without having an account, do you think I should fix this? Best, michael

1 Like

Yeah, I think that would be a valuable feature and would most likely aid adoption of your tool.

I totally understand why this might not be something you want to do with your project, but I think it would be neat if a user did not need an account to create and share a patch. The only drawbacks I can think of are:

• privacy: if a user wants their patch to not be accessible, you’d need a way to know who can see it and who cannot
  • database size: if anonymous users can create patches, you could get DDOS’d if you don’t rate-limit - and rate limiting is restricted to IP and whatever other means you have to identify user agents, instead of a distinct user account
  • nobody (other than an admin, perhaps) would have the authority to delete a patch

Either way it’s a neat tool! If we wanted to contribute modules, how would we do so?

Hi,
first of all thank you for your feedback, it’s really valuable. I’ll see if there’s a way to build a ‘build svg’ only access without the need of setting up an account.
Secondly, regarding the question how to contribute modules: I’ve built a visual editor which makes it quite easy to translate images of faceplates into working modules. However I’ve not yet figured it out how to open up this editor in a way to work with our existing database (the main topic being overwriting modules that already exist). If you want to use your custom modules you can either send me the modules and I’ll be happy implementing them into patchshare, or you can manually define them within each patch - which isn’t really efficient, I am aware of that. I am thinking of having a second public repository just for custom modules but this may take a while to be set up.
Third option would be to send you the sources to run the editor locally, this might need some one-to-one explanation to get it running.

Made some modules:
Dixie 2+: https://www.patchshare.co/patches/WMw5kOpDfbrS/
DPLPG: https://www.patchshare.co/patches/8CmSrj0cyzZo/

Plan is to add the ones I own that you haven’t covered yet.

1 Like

Awesome :+1: will add them