iPad monome resources?

I’m brand new to Monome – very excited to be diving into such a rich and brilliant community.

I went out and got a Launchpad Mini simply because of mlrv. I’m saving up for a 128, but the Launchpad I got is a second-gen so it has some tricky behaviors with mlrv (@Galapagoose, I’m more than happy to provide specific Launchpad Mini Mk2 feedback. also, Commitments is excellent. very very excellent). In the meantime, I’m trying to emulate the OSC commands on my iPad (TouchOSC) for things like re:mix, mark eats sequencer, and even better control of party van. I think that studiomux on the iPad will help translate TouchOSC messages over the charge cable, so the notorious issues of ad-hoc networking at live shows is a thing of the past (I hope).

tl;dr – I’ve done some research and it seems that TouchMonome was the closest iPad utility back in 2010. are there better options for iPad Monome functionality that weren’t made in 2010-2013? anything recent?

Either way, I’ve got my pennies piling. Hopefully somebody can cast a line and help with integrating my iPad into Monome’s tools?

Thanks all.
-dan

3 Likes

Serialosc is very hardware bound. Virtual monomes are having a hard time. No direct usage of monome apps is possible currently, at least not easily. Pages can do virtual devices, but using the old bonjour method, which is kind of deprecated (not saying you can use your midicontroller and pages as a monome though).

Your best bet is sigaborts stuff.

so - files now has much better usb drive support. Wonder if the ability to connect to serialosc is there???

(one can dream for a few hours at least :wink: )

2 Likes

Oh, so much has changed in the four years that have passed since this post.

5 Likes

this part’s truer than ever

5 Likes

I recently discovered the app PdParty and it made me wonder if 2 + 2 = 4. :thinking:

1 Like

Eh?

Don’t get what you mean

Haha, sorry. :slight_smile:

Since pd can speak to monomes and PdParty can run on iPads does that mean that iPads can speak to monomes.

1 Like

no, iOS devices can’t directly act as hosts for monome devices, because apple doesn’t allow them to make TTY connections over the lightning ports. this has been explored many times on the forum.

given the changes around IOKit just announced today for macOS 10.15 (a new userspace driver layer, basically, i think), one can hope that things might open up a little bit in future iOS releases as well. but then again they may not.

2 Likes

Oh well, it was a nice dream. Thanks for the info!