iPad/tablet as sound source/synth - specs?

Reading the Your iOS arsenal thread inspires me to swap my Blofeld for next project to an iPad running Nave (and more apps with time I presume…) Maybe focusing on the iPad solely as synth/sound source. Anyone running Nave on latest iPad Air or Mini? Would any of them be sufficient (despite smaller screen) in regards of processor? Quite stoked to go further on this iOS route, so many interesting solutions. Anything to think of? I’d like to run MIDI over usb and audio via (headphone) output into my analogue signal chain for processing.

1 Like

I’ve not made any music in earnest on my mini (I mostly use it for travel/reading) but Nave runs nicely on it

1 Like

I used to make lots of music on the first retina mini, before upgrading to the latest big pro. Also used Nave a lot. It handled pretty much anything I threw at it.

1 Like

I hadn’t touched music making on an iPad for many years and have also taken a look following the Your iOS arsenal thread. The stuff you can do with AUM and audio units has really taken me by surprise. It’s quite astonishing how things have moved along on that platform. I plugged one of my focusrite interfaces into it and it’s worked very well. When I start increasing the number of apps/effects running concurrently and through the interface (also routing to Norns as an effects send) my iPad Air 2nd generation (which is quite old now? 6/7 years?) does eventually start to creek. But I can’t imagine you’ll have problems running a single app or even a whole bunch on one of the newer models.

2 Likes

The newest iPad Mini has the same processor as the Air. So very capable.

2 Likes

I am using an original pro 9.7" and it handles a whole lot… I picked mine up for $200 on Craigslist. Not bad!

1 Like

As far as Nave is concerned I wouldn’t worry too much - my iPad 2 (circa 2011) still runs Nave without any issue.

2 Likes

I still have a first generation ipad mini, it’s mostly been used by my wife to check her web design these past few years but I have Samplr, Borderlands, Animoog and a few other things on there… I’m going to try to use it as a portable music thing if I can.

I’ll update it to ios 9 soon (it’s still on ios 7 :slight_smile:), and then I might get Aum and the Audio Damage looper if the thing can actually run them without burning ;)…

Does anyone use one of these old ipads ? I know I can run Samplr/etc. by themselves but I’m not sure how the processor snd memory would handle several apps at the same time.

2 Likes

Bumping this. I took out my old iPad mini 2 as my wife wanted to see if she liked reading on it. To my surprise, it runs iOS 12 and Borderlands, Koala and iDensity perfectly. And Dropbox to load samples from my hard drive. Battery life isn’t amazing but I can always plug it in.

I’m wondering if there are any iOS gurus on here that could help me “freeze” my setup on this device, so that the synths and iOS stay stable for music making. What do I do to turn off all the automatic updating of apps, and to prevent them from disappearing?

2 Likes

At least on some versions of iOS, hopefully 12 as well: Settings app → “App Store” → turn off “App Updates”.

I don’t think I’ve had any apps disappear on me automatically. Eg. there was one (non-music) app that the author completely removed from app store quite a while ago, and I have automatic updates on - but as I’ve installed it once, it’s stayed on my iPhone, and when I migrated to a new iPhone automatically, it moved there as well. So I think as long as the apps are on your device and you don’t manually remove them, they stay there.

I’m not 100% sure which version of iPad Mini I have, but it’s rather old and was cheap to buy used, maybe 4? It’s still super useful, even though I don’t use it regularly, it fills in a lot of spots.

1 Like

I don’t think apps disappear unless you update iOS from one version to another - that’s literally the only time I’ve seen an app disappear on me. I can think of one other time when apps might disappear - that would be when restoring a no-longer-available-on-the-app-store app from a backup. So all you need is to just turn automatic app updates off, disable iOS automatic updates, and then manage app updates manually.
source: own 1st gen iPad Pro and an old iPhone 6S, both running old iOS and old music apps.

3 Likes