Isms is here

It does encourage mixing cv! I like to use it to mix in a random signal with something I’ve sequenced, attenuate and invert to taste. Also useful as an audio mixer as the isms system is a little lacking there.

You can also just use that section as an attentuverter(sp?) its nice to do that since my envelopes are on the left.

I’ve been using it to craft teletype’s IN (which my patches heavily rely on), usually combining CVs from ansible and JF, sometimes mixing in an output from COLD MAC and/or LFO.

Any plan for a new ISMS?

if you search, you’ll find a few threads on it. the original is discontinued. a mini version has been mentioned a few times as being in the prototype stage:

Well as you can see from your quote all the posts on this subject are 3 months + old, including this one I replied to, so I was checking what is the word on this: no reason to assume I did not search.
I guess I should have written "what is the plan for the new ISMS"as in a request for an update

in progress but no release date. trent and i are balancing several projects at once. i know that’s a pretty anticlimactic update, sorry!

Thanks for the reply and all the hard work.Looking forward it!

Officially purchased my first euro module yesterday, so that along with my surprise Ansible has me eyeballing a place to house the eventual rig. So excited about this potential development.

Ooooooo… welcome to the black hole! :grinning:

Oh don’t worry, I know “exactly what I want to buy”. (sounding like every gambler and alcoholic ever)

I actually only plan on having a few modules (mainly IFM), with some Whimsical and ES stuff around it. Most (al) of the control will come from the ES/computer,

But yes, I formally accept your invitation :slight_smile:

We’re all doing this, all of us that said, “We’ll NEVER get sucked in” We’re all like "Yeah, I’ll start with a small skiff.

Hehe, that’s exactly the point.

The funny thing is that I’m (self)aware of that too, but also think “naw, I think I’ll keep it small”.

I’m comforted by the fact that I have a near fetish for compact/small things/setups, and perform with other gear/instruments, so there’s only so big it can grow. But we’ll see…

I think what happens is this: modular really is about the network of functionalities. Once you start, thinking that you only will make a “node” that will be added to your existing studio/instrument network, you realize that the node really needs to be it’s own structure. So you add a little more to it. Then, to satisfy the thirst for, let’s say “cohesive complexity” you build it a bit more. And eventually, the modular network expands enough to overshadow the need for the rest of your pre-existing network, and the old bits of non-modular gear become the dispensable nodes, which eventually fall off.

But you remain happy, (though a little poorer, but who cares about that)!

Yeah, you’ve done amazing things with a tiny mic and a snare, or just a light. You’re good at minimal. If anyone isn’t going to get sucked into the pit it’s you, Rodrigo!

I have one skiff and I’m NOT EXPANDING PAST 104hp.

if portability/touring is a goal/requirement, that helps keep a clear vision.

in fact i think the original isms is too big at 120hp. super excited about the 60hp version.

of course, if it’s staying put, the room size is the limit…

Portability is definitely a factor for me. So everything is in cases. But I have two monorocket 104x cases, at 12u each.

And when I bought my first module, I was convinced that all I needed was the 3u skiff.

Of course it all depends on the individual and our objectives in relation to our means. My point was that, in my opinion, the ethos of modular is that it thrives in that network mentality. Sometimes I find great pleasure and fulfillment in meaningfully interconnecting only 3 or 4 modules. But most of the time, reaching for complexity and nuance takes the entire two cases. This, in my case (:grinning:) is the result of the fact that I think of my modular as a complete environment/instrument. So, not just generating sounds, but also constructing structures and patterns, and at the same time “performing” these structures with an element of organic (generative?) sensibility. That (most of the time) takes exponentially more modules to execute.

In that scheme, I see my role as someone who builds, destroys and re-builds that network continuously, and overseeing/maintaining the dynamic of it’s functioning on an “as needed” basis.

for me perfect factor could be 2x60hp + top 1u isms part like the actual one without some stuff (input, bus, switch, lfo)

My isms has never quite filled up, usually 15-20hp free. Frequently thinking about making 60 “work”.

Me as well, though I worry if the ES-8 would fit, given how deep it is (50mm).

60hp would also be a nice goal too, as even my initial sketch stuff is pushing 70hp, and that’s with no ‘interface’ stuff (which my plan is to really use the computer/ES-8 for that side of things).

Heh, thanks for the vote of confidence. Fingers crossed.