Issue Communicating to Serialosc (openFrameworks)

I’m using the openFrameworks ofxOsc sender and receiver examples to try to talk to my monome grid with pretty mixed results and I’m sure I’m missing something.

Using the sender example, I’m trying to get a list of the monome devices connected by sending /serialosc/list [host] [port]
It’s a little unclear to me what value port should take. Is this 12002?

I have the ofxOsc Receiver example running at the same time but when I set the listening port to 12002, I get a “unable to bind udp socket” error. I’m not sure if this is the port that I need to listen to if I want to read the response from serialosc when I send the above /serialosc/list [host] [port] command.

Furthermore, when I open up the gridstudies patch on max, I see udp connections to ports 12006, 12288 and 13288. I’m guessing 13288 is what serialosc assigns to my grid considering that when I listen on this port, I can receive osc messages when I press buttons - but I don’t know what 12006 and 12288 are supposed to be.

Any help is much appreciated.

After some digging around, it looks like I got confused over how the serialosc server works. I’ll leave my findings here in case someone else runs into the same problem.

/serialosc/list [host] [port]
It’s a little unclear to me what value port should take. Is this 12002?

The port value is whatever port you want the serialosc server to output the response too.
For example if you want to receive the response on port 9999, the message to send to serialosc is /serialosc/list 127.0.0.1 9999

When you build the ofxOsc Receiver example, you should set PORT = 9999 to receive serialosc’s response to this message.

When sending the /serialosc/list message using the ofxOsc Sender example, this message should be sent to port 12002 (where serialosc listens). Serialosc then takes that message and outputs the appropriate response via port 9999.

I’m guessing 13288 is what serialosc assigns to my grid

Similar to when we told serialosc to output its results to port 9999, the max subpatch assigns a port in which the monome device should output its messages to, in this case, 13288. We should be listening to this port to receive button press messages etc…

but I don’t know what 12006 and 12288 are supposed to be

It looks like 12288 is used to monitor connect/disconnect events. Still not sure what 12006 is for though…