Jamuary 2023

Hallo Leute, Jamuary 2023 is approaching, who is in? I’ve participated in the past two years and it has been very good for me.

For those not familiar with it, Jamuary is a “social media challenge” started I believe by Cuckoo to make some, or in fact any, music every day of January and post it on Instagram, YouTube, SoundCloud, Twitter, Google+, , Mastodon or whatever social media thing you choose to use, and tag #jamuary so others can find it.

For myself as someone whose sonic life is very solitary, it is fun firstly not only to post some very crude sketches without any inhibitions, second to rehearse or study one little thing in a day (I hope to do some SuperCollider, Pd and as a new opening field recordings next Jan), and thirdly go around the hashtag and hear what amazing stuff other make and cheer people on.

We’ve had fun threads here on ////////ines too for links and chats and whatever in 2021 and 2022. This is that thread for 2023 =}

23 Likes

last year was fun! i’ll probably give it a shot this year as well :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Contemplating it, but I don’t think I can do every day. Can you cheat and record extra on some days?

4 Likes

yeah I only did four or five days last year and everybody was totally supportive, whatever you can do. I will probably do similar this year.

7 Likes

I guess you can do whatever sparks joy, and helps to nudge you towards no-shame moving on with whatever halfbaked (or quarterbaked) bleeps you made. Haha who would you even be cheating‽

I’d suggest simply skipping as @fourhoarder said, rather than pre-recording which would be how i interpret and enjoy the challenge. Last year I made maybe 20 posts, and impressed myself =}

8 Likes

the hard part for me is not making music every day, I usually do anyway, it’s posting that’s hard! it helps that it’s here and not some Meta service.

8 Likes

i think the best part of it, for me, was just letting go of what i thought a “sharable” thing was. my partner and i just sat down for 1 short session per-day, sharing whatever came out of it. that said, i think you can go about it in any way that feels good to you! no one is checking submissions for time/date stamps :cowboy_hat_face:

12 Likes

This issue for me is that two days a week I have a super intense workday and THEN band practice. So those are probably out for me. I might also take a long weekend to visit family, though there’s always an iPad jam.

3 Likes

Every jam is beautiful, each and every single one!

(maybe encourage your colleagues, band and family to join in :slight_smile: )

3 Likes

Post a minute of raw band practice :sunglasses:

16 Likes

I’d love to hear and hear about the band!

2 Likes

seconded — put the “jam” back in jamuary!

9 Likes

This is def something I should do.

7 Likes

I’m in! I’ve been doing it since 2016, though I’ve never managed to do a jam every day. The best I did was 31 jams in 2021, though unevenly distributed throughout the month.

(Also… I kind of bought the jamuary.org domain by impulse this year. I always thought Jamuary was hard to follow, spread between Instagram, Reddit, and other sites. So I got the domain and installed Discourse there, hoping to have a central hub.)

21 Likes

wonderful! nice idea. i’ll bite.

5 Likes

I did it last year and intend on doing it again! It was really fun to re-visit some unfinished work, as well as experiment with styles and approaches. I didn’t manage to do the whole month either, there was too much going on… but that’s also okay :slight_smile:

4 Likes

So, is this the place to put the results?

I’m down to try it, but I already know that I can’t get close to every day…

But it sounds like fun to try…

5 Likes

What the heck, I’m in :slight_smile:

(I already expect to miss January 1 since I’ll be driving back from a trip.)

7 Likes

I’ll be aiming to post a bunch as well :+1:

4 Likes

Definitely in. I’ve done it on and off for the last few years, and it’s often my most productive/most “educational” season! Aiming for a lot more drumming this year, and lots of norns. Hoping to also getting into some dev work, either on the norns, Organell or Max4Live. Counting down the days!

4 Likes