Jazz

Surprised such a thread didn’t already exist so here’s to starting one!

I’ve recently been diving into listening to the Jazz classics that I never took the time to really listen to growing up or in college, as well as some more modern stuff, and have been loving it. Berklee gave me a pretty solid education on jazz theory, and I studied some basic Jazz piano (Bill Evans mostly) with Yoko Miwa for a few years. But a lot of this technical knowledge has since faded from my brain. And I think this is why I’ve been really enjoying my first real explorations of this genre, and probably why a lot of musicians like it. Most of the time I really don’t know what’s going on- it’s so foreign and fresh, every note is a surprise. It’s helping to break down some mental barriers and ruts I’ve been in harmonically and melodically. It’s a breath of fresh air.

I would love to hear some of everyone’s favorites and/or recommendations for anchors or good places to start for a somewhat beginning listener. It’s such a deep, varied, and complex genre that it can be hard to know where to begin.

Here’s just a few things I’ve been really enjoying:

14 Likes

Just happy that I’ll get to be the first to post some Rahsaan Roland Kirk

Keep them coming, I’ll like this thread I’m sure.

8 Likes

Also surprised that such a thread did not already exist! Recently finished this book, highly recommend it. Written by a fantastic photographer who was heavily involved in the scene.

Currently listening to:

A bit early for what I usually listen to, but the playing/lineup are top notch.
3 Likes
2 Likes

yes!

slow burn:

have wanted to sample the opening low frequency notes from this song forever:

all things alice coltrane (seriously worth a deep dive esp the culty/synth stuff):

and Henri Texier:

8 Likes
3 Likes
8 Likes

I love that Coltrane&Hartman album.

And closest to home
Wave

Never short of a cover.

6 Likes

Yay! OMG of course Art Ensemble:

12 Likes
4 Likes

OK one of my favorite albums ever isn’t on youtube:

But another Grachan Moncur III album is! It’s good too!

Edit: not as a full album but the tracks seem to be! Here’s the single:

6 Likes

Everyone who has worked their way through a Real Book knows this one:

It’s such a good angular jam!

But yeah, Sun Ra!

8 Likes

Love Grachan. Lots of great stuff under actuel.

3 Likes
2 Likes

I couldn’t find George Lewis’ AMAZING “solo trombone album” that he recorded in his 20s for fecks sake, but:

4 Likes

This was the album for me my second year of high school. Boogaloo!

1 Like

Keep this thread going please.

Especially love this one; GREAT atmosphere.

3 Likes

“I come to you as a myth”

If you watch Space is the Place, or if you don’t, also make sure to read the leading essay in the new New York Times Magazine. Yes, really! https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/08/14/magazine/black-history-american-democracy.html

(Bonus points also read George Lewis’ book on the AACM https://www.press.uchicago.edu/ucp/books/book/chicago/P/bo5504497.html )

2 Likes
3 Likes

It sounds as if we have a bit of similar but opposing history; I am a jazz pianist who is getting back into synthesis (Univ of Miami music grad). It took this topic to finally get me out of my lurker status here on lines. :slight_smile:

A couple recent favorites of mine are Craig Taborn’s Daylight Ghosts and Fabian Almazan’s The Land Abounds With Life.

Also, Nate Chinen’s book “Playing Changes” is an amazing resource about the evolution and diversification of jazz over the past 35 years or so.

https://www.playingchangesbook.com/

Looking forward to checking out people’s recommendations!

3 Likes