Josh Mason "Utility Music" CD + Book

hey there! so, today i have a new recording out that’s been a looong time coming. it’s called “utility music” and, given the tech-centric nature of this forum, i thought some here might be interested. here is a little bit about what it entails:

Westheimer’s Discovery: A couple of months in the laboratory can frequently save a couple hours in the library.

Utility Music is the result of a year long exploration of a Doepfer A-100 modular synthesizer system of my own planning, beginning on January 1, 2019 and ending December 31, 2019. It was my attempt to learn more about the foundational building blocks of synthesis and to explore the idea that interesting and compelling synthesizer-based music can be realized without the aid of modern DSP and “fancy” hardware within the format.

Beginning each week on Monday, I would begin a new patch from scratch and continue to develop it until the end of the week. On Saturday, I would freeze the patch and “perform” it without making any new additions. Sunday was set aside for recording the result, taking down patch notes, then taking the patch apart so that the process could begin all over again the next day.

The final audio portion of the project is a mosaic assembled from these weekly stems. Accompanying the CD is a 72 pg. perfect-bound book containing further information on the project as well as weekly point-to-point patch notes and insights into process.

It is highly recommended that the listener experience the audio portion of the project in conjunction with the written material.

i’ve already sold through (my) stateside copies (which, sheesh) partly due to the remaining copies heading to the EU for distribution, but a second edition is already in the works, and i’ll update this as soon as that is available, and/or when EU copies are available for those who may be interested…and alternatively, the digital is available if you’re only interested in the sounds.

thanks!

41 Likes

instant purchase. Congrats Josh! Sounding wonderful so far.

1 Like

Interested in book once US available again…

2 Likes

cds are already in hand, so it should be ready in a couple weeks :call_me_hand:t3:

2 Likes

Is it available in the EU yet? Just searched ‘Josh Mason Utility Music’ on Amazon UK and got nothing.

Congrats, dude! I’m definitely gonna need to get a copy of the book – beautiful stuff (just like the sounds).

3 Likes

Sublime sounds and textures with a wonderful gentle touch, as always.

Thanks for sharing, just picked up the digital version.

2 Likes

Cds are „in transit“ to Eu. Uk folks will probably be able to buy via Juno. „Normal“ EU, not sure yet. Working on it. Don’t panic.

2 Likes

yes, big huge shoutout to @doomglue who has been super kind, patient and instrumental in helping to get these available overseas for me. it’s getting weirder and harder all the time for small independent artists like myself to find distribution outside of the US that is economical and sensible for people who want to support what we do. it means a lot!

1 Like

Congrats on release mate ! It does indeed sound like you got a lot out of your Doepfer system.

2 Likes

Bought digital, also v interested in book! Really nice work!

1 Like

grabbed the book this morning when i saw it pop up. seems like a great project, loving the audio so far, excited to see the notes

2 Likes

Super interested in this. I have dabbled with the idea of swapping to a 100% Doepfer case for similar reasons and I’m a Josh Mason fan so I will really enjoy hearing what you coax out of it. I’d be keen to get the book too when it’s in stock and if shipping go isn’t prohibitive.

3 Likes

Super happy to support this!!!

This looks great. Well done. I’m down for a copy of the book when the 2nd edition drops.

1 Like

so so excited to hear about this, what a love labor : ) definitely interested reading the book - I really love the idea of going so far to share the insane inside studio specifics of process. open source music !

4 Likes

there is a thread there with regard to revision over time, if one were so inclined to pull at it…

lovely release josh
would absolutely love a copy of the second edition book, I’m sure shipping to Canada is super reasonable too :wink:

2 Likes

Hi, the book looks really good and I enoyed the tracks on Bandcamp, I am in the UK and would love a copy when the second edition arrives, please inform us when it’s available :smiley:

As far as I know Juno will have it once the Eu part of the first edition arrives. It just takes a while. B2b, customs, …

1 Like