Just-play

just-play

Play Just Friends in synth mode with MIDI (6-voice polyphony)

Requirements

• norns
  • crow
  • just friends (connected to crow via i2c)
  • a MIDI controller

Documentation

Norns

• K2 + K3 = all notes off

Just Friends

• switch to sound/transient or sound/sustain
  • synth mode can be disabled in the params menu
  • god mode can be changed in the params menu

Crow

• output 1 is a 10V trigger pulse (5ms) on each note
  • output 2 is v/oct CV of the most recent note (0-10V or +/-5V)
  • output 3 is the velocity of the most recent note (0-10V or +/-5V)
  • output 4 is a MIDI CC value (0-10V or +/-5V, defaults to CC1)

voltage range, midi CC and pitch bend range are configurable in the params menu

Roadmap

• Advanced crow output configuration
  • UI improvements
  • Do something with the crow inputs?

Known Bugs/Limitations

• Crow trigger output cycles on latest RC firmware

Download

v1.2.1

github

30 Likes

Yes yes yes! Thank you for making this! I’ve been thinking about it too. Grabbing it now!

1 Like

I’ve been flirting with (and doing initial starts of) an i2c midi max patch suite and this is such a cool norns implementation of some of those ideas. Bravo!

1 Like

This looks fantastic! I’m away from my Norns just now and it’s not specific above, does this allow polyphonic playing of just friends via i2c?

Yep! I’ll update the description.

1 Like

This is excellent. Only bug(maybe) seems to be that short duration notes will often ‘hang’ and remain sounding until I re-trigger all six voices with new notes. (with a keystep/fates/crow/JF setup). Though if no one else is experiencing this of course it could be something on my end!

EDIT for future debuggers: issue is outdated keystep firmware.

might want to download the latest firmware for your keystep, as this has been an issue in the past: https://github.com/monome/norns/issues/609

3 Likes

20 characters worth of amazing thank you!

2 Likes

Updated to v1.2.1

Features

• Configure MIDI device/channel in params
  • K2 + K3 = all notes off
  • JF god mode param

Fixes

• Better v/oct pitch tracking

Misc

• UI/param cleanup
7 Likes

First off – this looks awesome! Can’t wait to try it out

Couple of ideas: Gate into 1 for sustain input and trigger into 2 for “all notes off”/panic ?

1 Like

I like it. I could definitely see using an input to gate/retrigger the current/most recent voices.

I tried input 1 streaming to crow.ii.jf.transpose(volts) this morning and that worked really well for adding a bit of lo-fi pitch modulation.

2 Likes

What about adding support for the upcoming W/ synth functionality? :thinking::pray:

5 Likes

Absolutely! I plan to add some basic support as soon as I get my W/s updated to the new firmware.

7 Likes

Here’s an experimental branch that adds support for wsyn: download zip

Almost all of the wsyn parameters can be changed from the params menu. I’ll probably hold off on adding anything into the master branch until things have stabilized.

Enjoy!

Edit: updated with a fix for releasing notes in ASR mode. Now you can toggle between AR and ASR envelopes!

6 Likes