Just Type: Explorations

This is quite basic, and I’m still very new to the ecosystem of Just Type, but man I’m having a lot of fun and the potential is bursting wide open. Here its doing tempo-synced random triggering and random pitches within a set scale, param setting the max range of the pitches. Pretty incredible what you can do with just these two modules, and this patch is using up just 1 script in the scene, and no outputs.

ALSO: perhaps there should be an actual “Just Type clips/patch ideas” thread separate from this one?

24 Likes

another Just Type exploration, this time running through T-Wrex and Twinpeak

7 Likes

I made a little one-script, 4-stage ASR scene this morning for Just Type, driven by Ansible Earthsea. So much fun to riff on something with the grid, and then get immediate ASR magic with extended control via Earthsea’s runes.

DEL 20: JF.VOX 1 QT IN N 1 V X
PN.INS 0 0 IN; PN.L 0 4
JF.VOX 2 QT PN 0 1 N 1 V X
JF.VOX 3 QT PN 0 2 N 1 V X
JF.VOX 4 QT PN 0 3 N 1 V X
X RRAND 2 10

Evidently, it’s pretty simple, and I’m sure there are ways to clean up the code – suggestions welcome! Gate 1 and CV 1 from Ansible are sent to TT input 1 and In, respectively. The first line of the script samples the CV from Ansible, with a short delay for better accuracy. Line 2 inserts the incoming CV value to a pattern, and sets the length of the pattern to 4. The remaining JF voices simply read their specified index value in the pattern (1-3) as the incoming CV value from Earthsea pushes the previous ones down.

https://soundcloud.com/creurer/just-type-asr

EDIT: In the recording above, I think I only had 2 JF voices going instead of 4. Oops.

p.s. To any moderators reading: I also agree with @n-So that a dedicated thread for Just Type explorations might be needed at this point, for the sake of clarity. Perhaps something like Just Type: Sounds, Code & Ideas? Happy to create if it feels appropriate/beneficial.

19 Likes

I had a bit of an Eminence Front moment there with this track … well done!

1 Like

Tonight I’ve been running errands for my friend @maxijazz, getting a him second hand Just Friends on the local classifieds. In turns this means I can get to spend a day or two playing around with an extra JF before I send it off. So I patched!

https://soundcloud.com/simondemeule/study-for-two-friends

What I came up with was a very simple patch involving the pair and Teletype. There are four voices. The first JF acts as a slow drifting rhythm generator with intone off center. It’s outputs 1-4 are fed to the second JF’s trigger inputs 1-4, which is in the plume run mode, with a very slow rise and fall setting. An output of the first JF is also patched into the second’s ramp CV in. This second JF is the one controlled via Teletype; it’s output ratios are tuned manually in the tracker view using a very simple script I wrote. Intone is also not dialled in completely clockwise to create beating patterns. It’s outputs 1-4 are taken individually to an ES-8 interface, panned in Ableton, and processed with convolution reverb and echo.

Here is the Teletype code. Here, I am using the metronome to loop through rows 0 to 5 of the patterns 0 and 1 and send a command to Just Friend to set the corresponding output’s frequency ratio accordingly (pattern 0 is numerator, pattern 1 is denominator). The loop iteration happens within the metronome, and the communication with JF happens in script 1. I’ve found 20ms to work reliably as a metronome interval.

M:
L 1 6: SCRIPT 1

I:
M.ACT 1
M 20
JF.MODE 0

1:
B SUB I 1
JF.TUNE I PN 0 B PN 1 B
16 Likes

Experimenting with Just Type. script 1 chooses interval between the first three voices, script 2 between the second three. script 3 changes jf.shift

13 Likes

Don’t know why, but this is the most beautiful JF patch I’ve heard.
Are you running a sequence from teletype while those scripts are running or the scripts are the sequence?

Trying to get my head around this patch but don’t own a teletype, so apologies in advance

2 Likes

TT is controlled by Arc’s gates which fire the scripts.
The patterns hold interval values which is sent to JF in a loop using a multiplier.
Pattern 0 does so for voice 1 -3 and pattern 1 does so for voices 4 -6
Pattern 2 holds transposition values.
Because the Arc rings are in a mode where they are related in tempo a sequence is formed. Hope this clears things up a bit :slight_smile:

1 Like

mind showing the code? :smiley: . this is very lovely!

I’m sure there’s room for improvements :slight_smile:
I think I have to put wrap up before the loop for instance

EVERY 7: X PN.NEXT 0
PN.L 0 6
L 1 3: JF.VOX I N * X I V 1
L A A: JF.VTR A V RRAND 0 8
A WRAP + 1 A 1 3

EVERY 7: Y PN.NEXT 1
PN.L 1 4
L 4 6: JF.VOX I N * Y I V 1
L B B: JF.VTR B V RRAND 5 8
B WRAP + 1 B 4 6

I PN.NEXT 2; PN.L 2 4
JF.SHIFT N I

L 0 2: PN.I I 0

#M

#I
JF.MODE 1

#P
6 4 4 0
1 1 1 1
0 0 0 0
63 63 63 63

-5 2 0 0
-7 2 2 0
-5 4 6 0
-9 2 5 0
-5 0 0 0
-7 0 0 0

8 Likes

Thank you!
This will help me no my quest to learn Teletype+JF.

2 Likes

things can sound a bit ‘off’ now and then. But if you’re into jazz you’ll probably be ok :slight_smile:

this thread is amazing. i particularly love the ASR code - thanks @Olivier !

i’ll definitely be trying that out this weekend, and i’ll take a look through my saved scenes later on to see if anything’s worth contributing…

4 Likes

Thanks, and agreed - really awesome examples in here. Fingers crossed we see more activity.

I had been lookin for a thread like this recently and very happy to see it (re)surface! Looking forward to seeing the thread develop and sharing some explorations soon

1 Like

Made another patch, this time with notes!

On the control side of things, Teletype is sending Mangrove a melodic sequence together with a formant cv sequence. Because it’s in formant mode, this harmonically transposes the sequence. This can lead to very long sequences if their step length and triggering rate is mutually prime. In this case the sequence is relatively short. Teletype is also triggering Just Friends in trigger / shape mode on every step, and randomly transposing it every 4 steps.

On the timbral side, Mangrove’s formant goes through Three Sisters in anti-resonant formant mode, which has a sound similar to a phaser. It’s square output also goes into Sister’s FM in and is played around with during the recording. Sisters also receives modulation to it’s span and frequency from Just Friends. Cold Mac applies slew to the frequency cv and allows controlling how much is applied. I also play around with Mangrove’s formant setting, Just Friend’s time, and Sister’s FM amount.

Echo and reverb added in Ableton.

Patch details
ES-8 clock > Teletype script 1

Teletype cv 1 > Mangrove 1v/oct
Teletype cv 2 > Mangrove formant

Just Friends 1 > Mangrove air
Just Friends 3 > Cold Mac slope
Just Friends 5 > Three Sisters span

Cold Mac follow > Cold Mac right
Dummy cable > Cold Mac left
Cold Mac left > Three Sisters v/oct

Mangrove square > Three Sisters FM
Mangrove Formant > Three Sisters all

Three Sisters high > ES-8 left
Three Sisters low > ES-8 right
Teletype code
SCRIPT 1

JF.TR 0 1
EVERY 4: JF.SHIFT RRAND 0 V 3
CV 1 N PN.NEXT 0
EVERY 6: CV 2 V PN.NEXT 1

PATTERNS

0  0
12 1
7  5
0  4
12 Likes

omg I just realized that JF.VTR will latch a velocity setting for physical triggers and I am a very happy camper.

4 Likes

I’m trying to get accurate pitch tracking from er101 sequencer into Txi to Just Friends, however JF is also making up notes. What am I doing wrong, do I have to calibrate the IN jacks on the TXi?

I TI.IN.N 1
DEL 5: JF.VOX 1 N I V 8

1 Like

I’m curious about this too, actually. I initially had difficulties getting JF to track Earthsea sequences (sent to TXi inputs), and in the end had most success when I simply ignored quantization or scaling on the TXi side — TI.IN 1 as opposed to TI.IN.N 1. Still trying to figure out how to accurately scale the bipolar TXi inputs, but no luck so far. My use case is pretty specific, so I might head to the Telex Expanders thread to get some help…

2 Likes

I’ve also tried using TI.IN but same results. When writing the incoming value to a pattern it can go rather ‘off’. A value of 0 is written as 2 for instance, but at random intervals

1 Like