Karl Fousek - In the Forest LP

hey lines, my “debut” LP is coming out this March on Second Editions, it’s called In the Forest and it’s the album version of the score to this film/installation, which some of you may have seen in chicago or oakville.

feels like a meaty enough release to deserve it’s own thread (although the sounds are my most minimal), so feel free to ask any questions, conceptual or technical.

pre-orders are up direct from the label or from forced exposure in north america.

listen to the centerpiece track on sc:

Enjoying the preview.

What was the collaboration process like with David Hartt? How much was planned out vs improvised?

David had used music from my early albums as temp music for the edit of the film. I was sent that version to go off of when I first started working on it, along with some notes on what he thought he wanted. Mostly it was recorded as long takes (the length of the entire film) that were then shortened and edited to fit different scenes and certain edits/cues etc… the original takes were semi-improvised and semi-generative/procedural. We decided together what we thought did and didn’t work in terms of editing and selecting the music.

For the LP, one of the tracks was remixed and another was extended with autonomous listening (sans film) in mind. That was entirely my call.