KATLA revised

hello

this year was all about finding a new place for myself. moved to a bigger city, started a new job and made quite a lot of tunes.

guess we all had time for making sounds this year. not sure what to think about it.

anyway. i started this year with this

this record is dedicated to my ex. feels weird that i got a lot of positive feedback on this one. it was a painful process and i was going through depression and health problems at that time.

this year is going to end in a few days. maybe things will change. maybe not.

this is my message to y’all. you are not alone. alls going to be fine. this world is a mess. let’s make something beautiful.

the toolset is quite basic here. kaivo — virta — aaltoverb. i’ve recreated the patches from scratch.

love y’all

24 Likes

thank you so much for these sounds… beautiful, even if they came from a painful place. i’ve listened to a lot of your stuff this year :pray:

could you perhaps describe a little how you use the madrona plugins, especially virta…? it’s the one i haven’t managed to gel with properly yet (although likely just needs more time/attention from me…)
are you using it to generate sound, or process other stuff (aalto/kaivo?)? any tips or tricks would be great to hear.

2 Likes

glad to know that you’ve enjoyed some of my tunes -thank you!

not an expert by any means. i use @randy plugins as a system. if i need sample playback / granulation i use kaivo. virta’s delay module is fantastic. i often use the number of voices as a modulation source.

i rarely use resonator. kaivo’ chorus and virta’ oscillators are amazing.

aaltoverb

feel free to ask any questions

7 Likes

Thanks for sharing. I agree, less is often more…

Just found this, but I’ve had it on repeat the last couple days. With the deluge of wintery weather where I am, this has been so nice to listen to. Really loving it!

1 Like

Very nice, I got quite lost in it. No sounds jumped out at me as being from my synthesizers, which to me, means you are making expert use of them :slight_smile:

I look forward to more!

6 Likes

wowzers/

been using your plugins for many years and now im so so glad to hear from you!

thank you so much for your work. defs will share more tunes

2 Likes

Just listening to this one… it’s amazing. Thank you for putting something so beautiful and fragile out there.

1 Like

I really love the artwork for Katla. Can you tell me about it pls?

there’s not much i can tell. this is an artwork by my friend. i believe she was using google street view as a source. she did a few versions and then we figured out that this one works perfectly with the tunes.

you can check some of her works here
https://salon.io/oavv/page-1

2 Likes

Thank you I will check it out. Such a good idea too

can’t stop using this technique so here’s one more piece

2 kaivo tracks with different noise/lfo settings playing one guitar sample into virta + aaltoverb

5 Likes

I love the idea of limiting your toolset and the results you’ve made are glowingly peaceful!

3 Likes

i really love this one nik

1 Like

@youcould , @glia thank you so much. defs will share more tunes soon

meanwhile another bc friday will start soon

even tho I don’t have anything new to offer I would like to remind y’all that any support is appreciated

2 Likes