Korg Prologue

In particular this bit:

User-customization

The prologue offers an SDK (Software Development Kit) that allows developers to program, customize and extend the capabilities of the multi-engine and digital effects and is expected to be available for download in the spring of 2018. The prologue provides 16 user oscillator slots and 16 user effect slots, and users can use the prologue Librarian software (also expected to be available for download in the spring of 2018) to load into their prologue new oscillators and effect programs created by developers with the prologue SDK (Software Development Kit).

:heart:

(good thing I haven’t got any time or money or space)

Is this the first mainstream manufacturer to offer something like this?

9 Likes

Certainly other manufacturers have had ways to upload user waveforms/wavetables, but this seems like the logical progression/expansion of that idea!

Looks very interesting and seems pretty squarely aimed at offering an alternative to DSI, sort of a Prophet 08 mixed with a Prophet 12.

2 Likes

Looks like there will be an SDK dev kit presented at Superbooth, with an STM32Fx ARM Cortex M processor, audio buffer SRAM and codec. Much like our OWL!

I assume the board will let you run the oscillator code in isolation.

If anyone knows where to get hold of the SDK let me know!

EDIT: I guess I will have to wait a few more days
“The SDK code, tools, and documentation will be made available via GitHub at the beginning of May 2018.”

and some photos:

2 Likes

Looks like the dev kit is more of a promo freebie item, not something that is required for development (though probably nice to keep near the computer).

So… how long before someone ports all of the Mutable Instrument firmwares to it then!?

2 Likes

As soon as they can fit it into 32k program size!

I went to the SDK workshop led by Etienne Noreau-Hebert, Prologue’s chief engineer. Very interesting, and got my hands on a dev board. The Prologue basically has a small Cortex M4 MCU for each voice, providing the digital oscillator, plus a chunkier one (with 8Mb external RAM) for control and fx. What’s really cool is that oscillators and fx can be loaded dynamically onto the synth, and there’s an API which provides basic maths functions and trig tables.

Etienne said the OWL was a big inspiration for the Prologue, which made me very chuffed! We discussed the possibility of running other languages than C/C++ on the device but there’s a hard 32k program size limit which makes that a bit… challenging.

2 Likes