Krautrock, Kosmische

Krautrock / kosmische / motorik recommendations.

Let’s start with some well known classics:

20 Likes
9 Likes

here’s 11 modern-ish things

10 Likes

So I’ve been listening to a lot of krautrock/kosmiche revival lately by chance haha. Mostly centered around the labels Lal Lal Lal, Vuosi (Finland) and Höga Nord (Sweden). Also a few other Finnish labels that tiptoe into free improv / electronics…

And when I want to infuse a little punk into all of the above, there’s Uran:

Ilpo Numminen (first link) has a bunch of cassettes out that I really like in particular…

Edit: Almost forgot, there happens to have been a mix by Wire magazine on experimental Finnish music that includes Lal Lal Lal and such that came out today too :slight_smile: Haven’t listened in full yet but it has a few artists on there I like.

12 Likes

Some kosmische favourites:

Edgar Froese - Ages
(the full album is brilliant)

Sound Control - Think

Michael Moorcock - Time Centre

Damenbart - Bewusstseinserweiterung

4 Likes

No Faust yet?

and somehow something newer… and probably not really kosmisch or krautrockish, maybe motorik…

Cannot find the Black To Comm mix from years ago called “Fuck Krautrock” which had tons of nice 80s/90s stuff from Germany.

12 Likes

There’s a whole bunch of mixes and archived radio interviews (with Michael Rother of NEU! / Harmonia / Kraftwerk) and Jean-Hervé Péron of Faust - there are some others in the archives yet to be uploaded) on the Kosmische Club’s MixCloud (some by me, but not all) covering the classics and newer and related material.

6 Likes

Telema is particularly beautiful i m o. Seeing To Rococo Rot live 21 years ago really took me somewhere else in terms of a live band. I didn’t know what was happening.

4 Likes

Die Verboten from 2015 https://youtu.be/n7khcwZnOug

3 Likes

They were a fantastic live band, as are the related Tarwater:

3 Likes
3 Likes

Get yourself some headphones for this binaural recording

5 Likes

Probably the genre (or rather label) which single handedly cemented my love for synths.
I have to say I am not too happy with some of the “revival” bands that usually seem to replicate the most recognizable traits of it in a rather lazy fashion (motorik beat+spacy synths+guitar improvising, but practically nothing new brought to the table).

I think these are quite essential. Surprised that Popol Vuh was not mentioned earlier!

Also can never go wrong with NWW (and Stereolab) doing their impression of kraut.

11 Likes

Wow… This is really great.
Thank you all for posting these records, mixes and even radio interviews, a real goldmine.
I don’t know where to start… Probably with the interview of Michael Rother :slight_smile:

1 Like

Simple Headphone Mind, while based on Stereolab music, is most definitely a Nurse With Wound interpretation (and possibly one of the tracks we played most at the Kosmische Club). Don’t get me wrong, I adore Stereolab and their take on the whole form, but this and A Wonderful Wooden Reason were NWW versions at heart - and via a radio interview linked above, a key motivator for Faust and NWW collaborating together live and on record forty-odd years after Steve Stapleton turned up at Faust’s home in Wümme while travelling across Germany to try and meet the band, only to find them out and so left without actually meeting them for another few decades. .

7 Likes
6 Likes

The staggering influence of Roedelius… impossible to overstate. The sensuality that weaves through his beautiful epigrams overwhelms me.

9 Likes

Great thread! - Time to get meta with the title! :wink:

Faust - Krautrock

Harmonia - Sehr Kosmisch

8 Likes

Yeah, my bad for not mentioning them both.
I actually like Nurse and the rest of Stapleton’s work more than Stereolab, so idk why I slipped like that. Both EPs are definetely led by Stapleton with Stereolab collaborating. SHM is my favorite of the two :dizzy:

1 Like