Kria 0.3 initial release

alternative firmware for the white whale. free free free as always. and open source.

http://monome.org/docs/modular/update

kria (icelandic name for arctic tern) defend their nesting grounds together as an imposing flock.

a new grid application. parameter-phased modulator. a step sequencer arpeggiator. two voices with independent loop positions and speed per parameter: trigger, accent, duration, note, octave, transposition, scale.

a new tutorial video:

some text instruction:

bottom row is navigation, from left to right

ch 1
ch 2

trigger / accent / octave
duration
note
scale
transpose

loop mod
time mod

scale editor
pattern selection

alt
details/explanation:

two voices, selected with channel 1/2 keys.

ch 1 = TR1, CV1, TR3 (accent)
ch 2 = TR2, CV2, TR4 (accent)

an “event” is only generated on trigger-- TR and CV are coupled. to simplify: on each trigger all current parameters (note, duration, etc) are used at that moment to generate an “event”. this is important to understand, as the non-trigger parameters may be cycling at different rates or different loop points than the master trigger. for example: if the accent row is fully lit up, it still will only create a trigger on the TR3/4 in correlation with a trigger event. so everything follows the triggers for each channel.

bottom row keys 4-8 change the edit mode. mode details:

trigger, accent, and octave are on the same first page: trigger on top row, accent on second, the rest are octave.
duration has a channel-global multiplier which is the top row. shorter on the left, longer on the right. the rest of the rows are vertical “sliders” with shorter values towards the top and longer towards the bottom. (it makes visual sense when you use it-- i tried to make each screen look sufficiently different for intuitive navigation)
note is low to high. these follow the scale, a latter page.

scale relates to the “note” screen. the working scale can be changed per step. the scale editor (read on) allows modification to scales.

transposition is global to the channel, meaning it does not get conformed into the scale. you can actually sequence fully chromatic runs similar to the earthsea by simply not using the note/scale screens. top row is “step” and remaining middle rows are chromatic horizontal, 4th vertical. to edit each step you need to change the top row. highlighting is intuitive here.

up to this point, everything is still sync’d like a normal step sequencer, which is a perfectly permissible use.

to change loop points of individual parameters – use the loop mod key. hold the key while doing a two-touch start-end gesture to specify a new loop. a single touch will move the start position and preserve length. hold alt while selecting a loop point to set the loop length to 1.

speed changes - hold down the speed mod key to change the playback speed of the parameter/track. you will see two horizontal sliders. (on the trig page you will see three pairs, for trig/ac/oct).

the top is the multiple, the bottom is the divider. the default is 1/1 which is no change in base speed. if you want double speed, divide the base speed by two-- set to 1/2. to go 2/3 the base speed, set to 3/2.

given you have 16 gradations, you can do some very slow phasing-- try 16/15. also-- it’s very possible to divide the speeds to impossibly fast cycles (which will overload the cpu) so i limit the period to 10ms minimum (this is thoroughly in synth spew territory).

scale editor – the left column indicates the working scales (those available on the scale param sequence) and which scale you’re editing. the center dim section shows the available scales. the bottom of this dim section has the seven preset scales (which will be read and overwrite your current scale): ionian, dorian, phrygian, lydian, mixolydian, aeolian, locrian. the right half of the grid is the actual scale editor.

scales are assembled per-note, from bottom to top, built from intervals. the dim vertical bar indicates 0, or no change from one note to the other. rightwards increases the interval per step. try it out, it will make much intuitive sense. hold alt while changing an interval to inversely change the interval above-- this preserves the upper-remainder of the scale-- whereas a normal edit would transpose everything above the edit. both are useful. you can transpose the entire scale up by changing the root note (the bottom row).

hold alt while selecting a scale slot (in the dim area) to write to that position. scales are saved globally, and are shared between all presets.

phase/position reset: hold alt while pushing ch1 or ch2.

preset saving works.

varbright 128 only. external clock input not yet implemented.

ps - big thanks to many many people for feedback on sequencer ideas. this is really an amalgam of techniques collected over the years.

ps - if anyone gets passionate about this mod and also has some documentation skills, i could really use a hand making this instrument much more understandable.

13 Likes

Just created an account to say this looks incredible. Definitely going to take some time to wrap my head around it all after I update but seems like it’s capable of doing a lot of the things I wish were present on White Whale like transposing to create longer sequences e.g. sixteen step sequence that can be transposed a major second lower, effectively creating a 32 step sequence. With Orca and now this, it seems I might end up with more than just one White Whale…

1 Like

indeed, you can create incredibly long modulating sequences with this new thing. and also yes, orca is fantastic. the original white whale firmware i still enjoy as a fundamentally probabilistic sequencer (like parc of olde), whereas kria excels at phasing and modulation.

and welcome!

1 Like

Still thinking about releasing a Max version?

Would love to brainstorm some documentation ideas. Immediate thought is that this mod is so musical, a tutorial that builds an arranged song could potentially really turn some light bulbs on.

Edit: could be just a text-and-images translation of the video, potentially. Happy to lend a hand in any way I can.

Very exciting!

max version forthcoming. unfortunately it’ll be a couple weeks before i get a moment.

2 Likes

I’m really looking forward to it. I’m kind of holding off on purchasing any sequencing modules until I’ve got more of my voice built out. Going very slow because I’m determined to solder as much of it myself as I can bear to.

Installed :slight_smile: Are there plans for TT integration? What about automated changing of patterns? And I’d still a way to slow the sequence down more than 16/1.

all on the list prior to a 1.0

1 Like

I lost it @ 1:55 of the tutorial. So cool, I love that kind of polyrythmic parameter sequencing :slight_smile:

this is fantastic work. i’ll put the firmware onto my ww on the coming weekend, but maybe i can already ask a question.

something I struggled with a bit also with orca is how to not end with endlessly continuing sequences but have pauses and breathing space programmed in.

would that be simply a matter of having an empty pattern and switching to that? is there a possibility to simply stop kira (or orca), maybe triggered via tt at some point, where everything stops and then continues exactly from where it stopped at a specific time?

maybe I’m missing something obvious.

i know what you mean - i get that too sometimes. the best way is to clock it externally from a gate sequencer - meadowphysics is really great for that! [also replied in the orca thread with a bit more orca specific info]

What I’ve tended to do with WW and the previous beta of Kria is set the trigger start/stop across a range where there are no triggers. However, with the new pattern tab, switching to an empty pattern is probably easier.

Amazing!!! downloading right now :slightly_smiling:

Wow. Can’t wait for the max version! I need to invest in some euro.

This is everything I ever wanted to get added to a lot of the monome applications.

Does each step have its own time multiplier like a metropolis? Where you can set it up to pulse 3 then 2 then 5 then 2 then …
It seems like its global per parameter right?

First of all, this looks fantastic. Excited to give it a whirl!

Certainly, once there’s a max version, I’d be happy to help; a bit slow at firmware updating on my end… In the meantime, relatedly, I’ve been playing with the new meadowphysics and have been scribbling notes. Do you have doc templates in source control somewhere? In particular the grid graphics?

since trent has gone full-time on mannequins (no longer working for monome) i’ve fallen behind on manuals. he was doing the vectorgraphics in illustrator which i’m terrible at, so i need to find a new solution. and yes, i have docs under version control but they’re all tied up in our main private git on a webserver, not via github, so it’s a little unwieldy for collaboration-- i’ll work on this.

1 Like

this is amazing, easily the quickest sequencer i’ve ever used.

so so SO useful thank you i have been playing with this nonstop for the last 2 days

quick wishlist for upcoming version:

stop pattern (similar to phase/position reset) - maybe hold the empty button on the left side of alt

accent mode on/off - would be nice to be able to enable triggers 3 and 4 when their respective base triggers are not on

loop position reset for just one parameter - the current loop-start move functionality and master pattern phase reset is great, i’m just reducing to a loop size of 1 and then creating a loop of another size elsewhere when i need to be precise, but would be handy to reduce this to one button combo press (maybe again, with the button next to alt)

once external clocking is implemented:

multiplier/divider control on external clock - would be cool to have control for the clock output similar to all of the parameters

in phase reset vs queued reset for loops/patterns - part of the fun of kria right now is jamming the start/sync combos (alt + combinations of 1 + 2). you can kindof make that jeff mills 909 start/stop effect and REALLY play the instrument. would be cool to leave it as is right now even when the external clock is plugged in, so that the external clock sets a tempo/quantized grid, but the actual start of the pattern can fall whenever you hit (maybe a few ms off of the 1 - swing opportunities abound). then there could be a queued start, similar to how the white whale currently works with queued pattern launching, maybe again by holding that button next to alt at the same time.

pattern backup - would be nice to be able to usb backup/restore similar to teletype, but i could live without this

teletype integrations:
it would also be really cool to be able to sequence the clock multiply/divide options for each parameter, but i imagine this could make the whole thing really messy… ratcheting drums and patterns that fall out of phase in the middle then click back into place… that would be absolutely insane… perhaps this could be implemented with teletype easily though.

on that note, it would be good to be able to sequence parameter resets or pattern phase/position resets with teletype as well

OK will keep messing with this and see what other magic awaits

2 Likes

Looks very promising :slight_smile:
Does it output triggers only or gates too?

Thanks!

Gates. Duration controlled on the second page (button to the right of the trigger/accent/octave button).

1 Like

bumping this topic to see if there’s any news on a max version of kria?

and no rush! just love the idea of it and i’m curious.

5 Likes