kria (max/m4l version)

This is ACE. Thanks so much.

1 Like

Thanks @angel

I needed to enable the IAC Driver bus in Audio Midi Set-Up, now have it working over the IAC Driver Bus. Thank You!

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing these. I opened them and from what I see, they are handling the messages via interacting directly with live’s api and I guess already coded control surfaces scripts. I was interested in a m4l device designed for the monome grid that also offered control for launchpads to see if there’s some way of translating the messages.

Got it - thanks. I’ll keep looking :slight_smile: .

I’m not a programmer, but would Midigrid help here? In other words, that Norns script takes other scripts designed for the Monome grid and allows their use with Launchpads. You’ve already done the hard work of bypassing Live’s API for MIDI messages in the M4L device, so perhaps Midigrid would provide answers as to how to translate those messages for use with a Launchpad rather than a grid?

Just spitballing, and appreciate all your work so far!

1 Like

Where can I find this please?
I love the sounds in the short video you’ve posted, but I have literally no idea what this is. I have a MacBook pro, Ableton and a grid so all the prerequisites, just no idea how to begin….
Congrats on the release!

1 Like

Oh yes. Thank you so much, this has been a long time coming - I was even thinking of making one myself in the next month or so. Thanks!!!

I unfortunately personally don’t own ableton suite - I can work around this, but if you ever release a standalone max version, rnbo, or whatever, i’d love that.

1 Like

Thanks for your comment. Sorry, I just assumed previous knowledge of what kria was, my bad. Kria is a script that was originally written for the monome whitewhale module and then ported with several modifications to the ansible module. This is the original tutorial video: https://vimeo.com/153923660 and this is the most complete one for the ansible version: monome ansible kria tutorial, sequencer for eurorack modular synth - YouTube except for the pattern / meta pattern page which is covered in this one: https://vimeo.com/350511851. I know it may seem kinda daunting, but it speaks of the depth of the device.

4 Likes

Great, thanks for the links!
I’ll watch these vids and then probably come back here with more questions :grin:

1 Like

Thank you, actually as I said in the description I wrote this as a max standalone version and only ported it to m4l because I found out about David Butler’s externals that allow to bypass live’s midi channel limitations and I thought most people would find it more convenient (actually I downgraded some time ago to live lite because I prefer standalone max and only use live as a mixer. I just use the live trial suite version for prototyping). However, I forgot that those externals only work with m1 macs through rosetta, and as in your case and mine, there are people that don’t own live suite, so I will add a link to a standalone version. On the subject of rnbo, I was equally excited but I read in the “key differences” section that it currently doesn’t support the use of symbols, colls and the whole pattr family of objects, all of which this device relies heavily on, so I’m unsure about the practicality of porting something written in max msp vs writing it from scratch in rnbo.

2 Likes

gotcha - yeah your line of thinking makes sense to me. Looking forward to trying out the standalone version when you post it, then :blush:

So the grid functions described at 1:40 in the youtube video (sorry, to clarify, this one: monome ansible kria tutorial, sequencer for eurorack modular synth - YouTube), are exactly the same for this version you’ve made?
And, apologies for the incredibly dumb question, but if I open the .amxd file, and hook up my grid, are there “default” sounds waiting to emerge? Or do I need to add a midi instrument of some sort in Ableton?

Actually no. I kind of took the features I liked best from each version. In the case of the first page for each voice, I went for the original version from the whitewhale module which only had 2 voices. The first page of each voice displayed trigs, accents and octaves. The ansible version expanded kria to four voices and in the first page of each voice you only have the trigs for all 4 voices. That’s what’s being shown at 1:40. The rest of the pages resemble more closely what is being described in the youtube video, with some minor differences that I explained in the first post.
Kria is only a sequencer, the .amxd only sends midi messages, there aren’t any preloaded synth or sample based voices. Hope that helps.

1 Like

Hi, a couple of updates. Since there are a number of issues with the m4l version (not running on arm chips natively, people not owning live suite), I have added a max standalone version (it isn’t the original max version that works with a high resolution clock and that keeps everything on sync though. I could elaborate on the pros and cons of each version but I’m posting this one since it’s the one that resembles the closest the ansible kria version). I have also updated the m4l version, because I found a bug in the meta pattern page. Sorry for the trouble.

9 Likes

Thank you so much, Ángel! You’re doing skilled volunteer work for all of our benefit. I don’t think you have anything to apologize for :blush:

2 Likes

yooo i’ve been wanting something like this for a long time, thank you!! i know there was some beta testing of ansible for vcv, but hasn’t materialized yet afaik. having tons of good times with both vcv and ableton though.

strange happenings: running the m4l version is making all tracks super fuzzy/glitchy for some reason? cpu usage is still only around 15%. all other m4l sequencers i’ve tried are not having any problems. resampling to a new track has the exact same artifacts until i delete the kria plugin, then all of a sudden the audio plays flawlessly and a bit faster. im running on an intel mac, and the standalone version works perfectly. if there’s no solution, the standalone is easy to run, so not a big deal. just curious if there’s an easy fix :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks so much for this! Having never used kria before, I was able to find my way around using the tutorial videos you linked along with the parameter descriptions from the original post. Such an awesome sequencer; very cool to have it as an m4l device.

I do have a couple quick questions I wasn’t able to figure out from my exploration and the documentation:

@angel, can you explain more about how this is intended to function? Holding the page button while on the rachet page doesn’t appear to provide any additional options.

Also, is it possible to set the playback mode (forwards, backwards, etc.) for the trigger and accent sequences? When I press the time modifier button while on this page, I only see an option to change the mode for the octave lane.

Thanks for your comment. I didn’t know about a beta kria for vcv rack, that would be great, since I really enjoy vcv’s modular ecosystem. That’s in part why I kept the whitewhale version with the accent parameter, for instance with something like m4l expression control you could use it to modulate not only velocity but any parameter.
Yes, I had the same glitching problem and the only way I could solve it was by setting the buffer size at 1024, which I know is far from ideal for recording. I don’t know why it’s putting such a load on live, since in standalone max it runs pretty smoothly.

1 Like

Thanks, glad to know that you find it useful. Check out the attached video for both of your questions. I think I wasn’t clear enough, with “page button” I meant the ratchet page button, not the voice one. The last row of the time modifier page is where you set up the playback mode for all three of the parameters (I know it’s a little cramped, one alternative was to loose one of the modes in order to make it more visually intuitive). Hope that helps.

2 Likes

Ah yep, thanks for the video explanation! That helps a ton.

yeah, i never got to try it while it was in beta testing, but supposed to hopefully be part of the monome vcv package at some point

thanks for the tip, i’ll give 1024 a shot. cheers!

1 Like