Kria questions

Hello Kria users,

I’m discovering the Kria sequencing and there’s a fog i’d like to clear :slight_smile:

So, i have a miscellaneous of questions here : :thinking:

1/ Is it possible to add steps in a pattern ? (are we stuck to 6 steps ?)
2/ how do you make triplet ? Do you use Ratcheting behavior ?
3/ Is there an arpegiator hidden somewhere ?
4/ Is it possible to erase a pattern and paramaters settings to start over from scratch ?
5/ After a while of playing with Kria, i’ve created a non linear sequence that i can’t explain how i get it, something with some pauses although ratchet was off, it was flollowing the steps then stop randomly and then play again, do you have an idea what was happing ? > blurry question, might be difficult to answer…

So yes, many questions, i’d appreciate to get some more info, thanks in advance !

Have a nice summer ! :camping: :beach_umbrella:

Ben

1 Like

Hi! Have you seen this wonderful tutorial by @Puscha ?

1 Like

Hello, yes of course, it’s really great (and very helpful) !
But i haven’t seen anything about adding steps or erase to start over from scratch…
Do you know how to do it ?

1 Like

you can change the length of a pattern/sequence with the loop modifier.

1 Like

Hey, I think you already read the manual on Monome web-site, but if you didn’t I suggest you to do it.
Kria is wonderful because is very deep and it has a lot of pad combos and “hidden” functions, you have to develop a muscle memory, but don’t worry it’s simple after all!
Of course you can do longer patterns (and you can even do pattern chains) to achieve a 16 step pattern, press the 9th pad of the bottom row and while you’re pressing choose the length you want on the desired pattern row, from 2 to 16 steps.

1 Like

Cool ! thanks Mat !
(as simple as that, i should have found it by myself… :sweat_smile:)

Actually, i’ve read it (with my bad english), and about lengh pattern, i should have definitly have found it by myself but didn’t find anything about erase parameters or patterns when things get mad…

Nothing to start over from scratch as of now but it’s in discussion:

3 Likes

As I understand when a blank pattern (or one that is almost blank) is saved to a slot it erases the (weird one) pattern in the slot. Same should be true for saving presets.

A kind of pseudo “reset to defaults”.

LC

1 Like

Having some trouble understanding how saving works - I think I’ve about got it, just looking for some confirmation.

It seems that a “pattern” holds all information about the tracks, including their clocking settings on the scale page, and which scale is selected. But it seems that patterns are not saved unless a preset is saved? I cannot get the “hold pattern button, wait for pulse and pattern has been saved” behavior. Holding a pattern button seems to copy the current pattern to whichever pattern I hold the button for, there is no pulsing and the data does not seem to be saved through a power cycle unless I save a preset. And a preset saves all the pattern data, scale data, and configuration data.

Do I have that about right?

Also, I feel like I recall that there is a way to make ratchets advance the note with each trigger, creating arpeggios, is this real or am I imagining it?

Edit: Found it, the column of 4 lit keys directly to the right of the the “Teletype clocking” keys on the scale page toggle this ratcheting behavior. The term to use to find a full description in the manual is “trigger clocking”.

1 Like

I have a question about this section in the manual, and whether it’s describing two separate behaviors or the same thing:

To adjust one note in a scale without affecting its interval relationship with the notes after it, hold the scale key while changing the scale note. The subsequent note is adjusted to compensate.

You can perform temporary “live” adjustments to scale steps with a two-key gesture: hold down the active scale step, then press another key on that row of the scale programming section. The second key is highlighted more dimly to indicate that this scale step is adjusted. This adjusts the pitch CV assigned to that scale step without affecting the rest of the scale, which can be a useful performance tool. Pressing the brighter, “primary” scale key, or pressing another key to change the interval, will clear the adjustment. Scale adjustments are not saved to flash. Changing the selected scale will clear all scale adjustments, but changing patterns will not, which can make this useful for introducing live variations in a longer sequence.

Is there a separate function for holding the scale key (on the bottom right, next to the pattern button) and pressing a note? That would seem to be what the first quote is describing. Then the second quote says you must press the active scale “step” and then another second note. They both seem to describe the same effect (changing the scale degree without changing the intervallic relationships above it).

1 Like