Kria questions

Hello Kria users,

I’m discovering the Kria sequencing and there’s a fog i’d like to clear :slight_smile:

So, i have a miscellaneous of questions here : :thinking:

1/ Is it possible to add steps in a pattern ? (are we stuck to 6 steps ?)
2/ how do you make triplet ? Do you use Ratcheting behavior ?
3/ Is there an arpegiator hidden somewhere ?
4/ Is it possible to erase a pattern and paramaters settings to start over from scratch ?
5/ After a while of playing with Kria, i’ve created a non linear sequence that i can’t explain how i get it, something with some pauses although ratchet was off, it was flollowing the steps then stop randomly and then play again, do you have an idea what was happing ? > blurry question, might be difficult to answer…

So yes, many questions, i’d appreciate to get some more info, thanks in advance !

Have a nice summer ! :camping: :beach_umbrella:

Ben

1 Like

Hi! Have you seen this wonderful tutorial by @Puscha ?

1 Like

Hello, yes of course, it’s really great (and very helpful) !
But i haven’t seen anything about adding steps or erase to start over from scratch…
Do you know how to do it ?

1 Like

you can change the length of a pattern/sequence with the loop modifier.

1 Like

Hey, I think you already read the manual on Monome web-site, but if you didn’t I suggest you to do it.
Kria is wonderful because is very deep and it has a lot of pad combos and “hidden” functions, you have to develop a muscle memory, but don’t worry it’s simple after all!
Of course you can do longer patterns (and you can even do pattern chains) to achieve a 16 step pattern, press the 9th pad of the bottom row and while you’re pressing choose the length you want on the desired pattern row, from 2 to 16 steps.

1 Like

Cool ! thanks Mat !
(as simple as that, i should have found it by myself… :sweat_smile:)

Actually, i’ve read it (with my bad english), and about lengh pattern, i should have definitly have found it by myself but didn’t find anything about erase parameters or patterns when things get mad…

Nothing to start over from scratch as of now but it’s in discussion:

3 Likes

As I understand when a blank pattern (or one that is almost blank) is saved to a slot it erases the (weird one) pattern in the slot. Same should be true for saving presets.

A kind of pseudo “reset to defaults”.

LC

1 Like

Having some trouble understanding how saving works - I think I’ve about got it, just looking for some confirmation.

It seems that a “pattern” holds all information about the tracks, including their clocking settings on the scale page, and which scale is selected. But it seems that patterns are not saved unless a preset is saved? I cannot get the “hold pattern button, wait for pulse and pattern has been saved” behavior. Holding a pattern button seems to copy the current pattern to whichever pattern I hold the button for, there is no pulsing and the data does not seem to be saved through a power cycle unless I save a preset. And a preset saves all the pattern data, scale data, and configuration data.

Do I have that about right?

Also, I feel like I recall that there is a way to make ratchets advance the note with each trigger, creating arpeggios, is this real or am I imagining it?

Edit: Found it, the column of 4 lit keys directly to the right of the the “Teletype clocking” keys on the scale page toggle this ratcheting behavior. The term to use to find a full description in the manual is “trigger clocking”.

1 Like

Can someone explain to me how to get to the preset page in Kria? When I press the “preset” button as shown in the docs (the one next to USB port) it goes into the leader mode page, not the preset page.

Hopefully I am overlooking something obvious!

If I’m understanding you right: they are the same page! Your eight presets are accessed with the buttons in the leftmost column. You can draw glyphs for those presets in the 8x8 grid of buttons on the right. In the middle are your leader controls.

1 Like

Could anyone tell me the pitch cv output range on ansible? I’m trying to have my expert-sleepers fh-2 match ansible so I can use either interchangeably without having to retune oscillators. Edit: I see it’s 0-10V in the docs, perhaps the fh-2 needs calibrating because these 0-10V’s are very different to each other :upside_down_face:

when you use kria, do you use the pattern/meta-sequencing functionality?

• no, i just use one pattern.
  • i sometimes use patterns
  • i always use patterns

0 voters

I almost always use multiple patterns but rarely use the meta sequencer as I have to look back at documentation every time I use it to remember what I’m doing :joy:. I do use the quantized pattern cueing function all the time.

2 Likes

(the reason i posted this is) i’m making a kria port and was wondering how many people used that function. i consider myself proficient with kria and still have no idea how that page works. so i’m trying to figure out if/how i should port the functionality!

7 Likes

The kria documentation in the scale section says:

To adjust one note in a scale without affecting its interval relationship with the notes after it, hold the scale key while changing the scale note. The subsequent note is adjusted to compensate.

I’m having trouble with this. My understanding is that the default way of changing a note in a scale, without holding any buttons, does not affect its interval relationship with the notes after it, as each note is defined by its interval with the note directly below it.

What I’d love to be able to do, and what I thought this was describing when I first read it, is change one note in a scale without affecting the interval relationship between the notes above and the notes below the note that was just changed.

In any case, holding the scale button while changing a scale note does not seem to elicit behavior that is any different from changing the scale note without holding down the scale button.

I reflashed to the latest firmware to be sure - and the same holds. Is this out of date documentation or am I missing something?

2 Likes