L.llllllll.co netlabel

I’m not finding these trust level numbers anywhere. On my own profile I can see “trust level: regular” but I don’t know what that means.

Edit: Now I get it:

• 1: basic
  • 2: member
  • 3: regular
  • 4: leader

agreed-- level 3 (regular) seems like a reasonable qualifier.

of course, with this approach, the artist can be anyone. we’re simply prescribing the curatorial pool.

i do like this idea. it seems novel, manageable, and also engaging. a sort of open-source netlabel?

That was the concept I was hoping for. Who wants to curate the first release? And who are the artists that want to tackle defining the visual identity? It can start simple and evolve over time, but I need help getting it going.

So, what is the final name?

Nine Lines?

@laborcamp it’s just l.llllllll.co

I was fond of 9 lines, but shrug.

So, what is that exactly?

Lower case "L"
Followed be period
Followed by 8 lower case "L"s
Followed by period
Followed by lower case “CO”?

Just want to be clear as to what the identity needs to contain…

Yes. same as what the URL will eventually be.

If you have a better suggestion, it’s all open source after all…

Naming was discussed mostly towards the top of the thread.

All cool.

It’s already a pretty graphic name, so whatever is done with “identity” would be pretty minimal I would think.

Something I thought of after reading the discussion up to this point was that perhaps the idea of 8 lines (or 8+1) could be used as a structural framework for each release.

As in each release consists of 8 tracks/artifacts.
So, metaphorically/symbolically each track is a “line”.

Working within this sort of framework can lead to some nice visual, presentation, layout solutions. I have some ideas, if that seems like an interesting direction to people…

Extending this open source idea: one of the things I love about LCRP (even though I haven’t participated yet!) is its open source nature. It would be an interesting curatorial challenge to think about how to maintain that openness in every release (even if the theme is very different from “remix” for a particular release).

Been mulling over the ideas here for a bit, here’s probably too many words…

There must be something that sets this apart from “a place where people who participate in llllllll.co just go add their last track”. Otherwise it is no different than the “latest track” thread. Normally, a label’s artistic mission would outline the themes and aims of it’s editorial direction. But clearly no single theme or aim could encompass the rather wide range of music produced by those active here: We are united in ways which do not directly make a cohesive musical output for listening outside our community.

I like the idea of curation that is forming here. Let me take a stab at a strawman:

1. Every two to four weeks, there is a “release”.
  2. The release is curated by exactly two, no more no less, “regular” (level 3) members of this community.
  3. The release should have between 2 to 10 tracks - which can be drawn from this community, and beyond.
    3a. There must be at least one track from a member of this community who is not either release curator.
    3b. The number of tracks by the release curators themselves (if any) must be equaled or outnumbered by tracks from others.
  4. The curators should have an artistic reason to group the tracks as a release. They are encouraged, but not required, to explain it as part of the text of release.

I realize that some of these “rules” seem overly rigid - but I like some of the “poke in the ribs” aspect:

• You have to find someone else in this community to curate with.
  • You need to work together to decide what the release is about.
  • You have to find music from this community that is not your own.

I imagine small curatorial teams forming… and working on a release for weeks or perhaps as long as months - and when ready, getting in the queue for publishing.

:scissors: I think this will still be a rather free-wheeling artistic label, but the idea is to give each release enough of focus in itself to have cohesion.

AND to make that work, I think it needs some really good minimalist graphic design to ensure that even from one release to the next, there is something to constantly tie the visitor back to “oh yeah, its from that label…”

A charter for l.llllllll.co netlabel

New to the community and the ecosystem . Just dropping by to say that I love this idea and would love to get involved more and get to know you all through collaboration/shared visions.

What if the releases were presented as productions of the label – not as artist releases, not exactly anonymous. Each release could credit the contributors in the liner notes – potentially just one, but maybe a minimum of 2 would be cool?) Just continuing with the open source label idea, & not to be too literal but it might be cool to do releases more like software releases, and the label’s aesthetic could/would simply emerge out of a collaborative composition of the releases more like the body of work of one large group – a little like the way gescom operates, but at the level of a label?

It might help reduce the potential for spammy PRs, and contribute to a more unified sense for the project rather than being a totally open collection of audio, like archive.org?

I’m relatively new to this community and monome in general. I do have experience however running a net-label. The label did pretty well for a period of 2 years before my friend and I shut it down in favor of perusing our own personal projects. I think by the time it was said and done we pushed close to 20 something releases over the two year period. Our last official cat number was 12 but for most releases we had a companion remix compilation release of some sort.

I thought we had shut the blog down but it looks like most of the content is still there. If you want to have a look it’s here…

https://altered-echo.com

(not spamming there because like I said we’re not running it anymore and some links are probably broken).

The best piece of advice I can give would be to collect a handful of releases before opening the doors. Artists in the independent community are often times flakey at worst or at least usually late. Getting three releases together, done, in the can and ready in advance, does wonders for momentum because you can drop them at your decided rate of release without issue.

I’d echo the release rate of one per month. Managing more content than that can become not only tedious for management but overwhelming for the audience. Releases come on the same day every month, the first Tuesday for example. That release is featured at the top of the pile for 2 weeks followed by the next offering getting announced on the 15th of the same month and releases the first Tuesday of the following month. This allows plenty of top of the page time for the released artist and plenty of promo time for the next.

After your second release you can announce your first open community project for a collection of tracks to be submitted for consideration to be featured on a compilation. Being as you already have other content in hand to release you can drop that stuff as scheduled while accepting submissions and preparing for your 4th release, the compilation.

Under that manner of starting things that’ll give you 5 months of solid content before you have to scramble for more material. You have open submission guidelines posted in a section of your site that you link in every post you make no matter what. If done properly by the time you drop release number 4 (the compilation) you’ll already have people who have either submitted longer works of their own for consideration or at least people on the hook working on stuff.

Collecting stems and samples of released work is another wonderful tool for building content. If you run out of things to release or hit a gap you can toss up some stems and call for remixes from the community.

I think it’s important to have some slight benefit to entice people to submit as well. Obviously there’s promo but if you can find a way to offer mastering services free of charge for those approved for a release it brings a little enticement and a lot of validity for what you are trying to do.

I could probably type a whole bunch more here but I’m sure you guys get the point so I’ll leave it at that. Last thing I will say though is all the written and graphic content you see in that blog link I posted up there I did myself as I was the projects “front man.” I also handled most of the A & R so if you guys have any questions or want assistance in that regard I’m raising my hand.

:slight_smile:

Anybody want to volunteer?

I imagine that if you wanted to help us herd cats by identifying volunteers for the many jobs you’ve pointed out need to be done, it’s likely you’d hit “trust level 3” (described above, basically means you’re a regular contributor on this forum) in short order. Would love to have any help you can offer.

And if people could go ahead and self-identify for jobs they’re interested in doing, it would make the task a lot easier!

It’s great to see this manifesting. I dont think I have anything to add here. What @makingthenoise and I were doing was pretty different, in that it was pretty strictly curated between us both. Ya’ll are getting some good ideas going.

It’s been a year since we released anything, but maybe it’s time to do something again… Adam, where’s that full-length??? :stuck_out_tongue:

If anyone’s interested: http://taketheleap.in/

@watson any minute now…

@makingthenoise Seriously though, I’d be into reviving the label, if even on a less-often release schedule.

Dude I’d love to jump in here and help. I’ve messaged my former project partner about this to see if he has any additional suggestions to offer. We both met on the IDMforums where he’s a long-time poster and I’m a moderator, if that counts for anything. Maybe he’ll pop up in here, not sure.

The main problem I’d run into with being effective here is, being as I’ve only joined the community a month ago, I don’t really know who can do what or what their strengths are. So rounding up volunteers is going to be an uphill battle in that regard.

What you need to start, in no particular order, is -
Project Manager
A&R rep(s) for seeking out talent
Site curator
Content writer
Graphic design

The thing with a&r is it’s probably one of the more important jobs because without releasable content it doesn’t matter what your site looks like or what the mechanics of it are. My suggestion would be your first stop for that should be a long-time member of this community who is trusted and knows who can do what from a musical standpoint. That person needs to start talking to people probably right now and getting them on the hook.

You also need some form of quality control but that can come later. Assuming your artist rep knows what he is doing he should be able to seek out individuals who have shown an ability to put out consistent, solid content.

What I can offer right now is written word. I’m pretty good at writing blurbs and presenting releases. Once you get rolling I’m down to listen to the pre release content and make posts for you guys to use on whatever your site winds up being.

I do know there’s much technical savvy on this site so maybe the actual design of the face of the label would be beyond Wordpress. That said I think worldpress is a great place to start because it has much of the functionality already in place for presenting stuff like this. I’m not sure how it works because like I said I’m the front of the house guy not the back but that blog up there is lying dormant. But one could easily scrap the content, change the name, link a new URL, take it over and have a new netlabel essentially all ready to go for them if they wanted. Just putting that out there. Happy to help either way though, looking forward to it actually.

To course correct a bit on the concept of A&R, I suggest scrolling up a bit. There have been a couple of different proposals in this thread.

I think the main idea here is “open source community driven effort”.

For project manager and site curator, I guess I’m nominating myself. My job is mainly to keep things from breaking.

I’d really like to see content writing and graphic design come from the artists themselves. That being said, there has been strong interest expressed in having a strong and consistent visual identity. @laborcamp seems to have some interest in this aspect of things, and I’m hoping that he or someone else, or a group of people, can assemble some kind of style guide that artists can use to guide their efforts.

I think you may find with this crowd that quality control isn’t going to be a massive issue. We tend to set a pretty high bar for ourselves.

We are an extremely technically savvy bunch, and there are numerous technical reasons why we will not be using Wordpress for this experiment.

Thanks for your input! Looking forward to working together.

I think this is extremely valuable input.