Latest tracks + videos

The third in the series on “The poor man’s OP1”. Now using a Dirtywave M8 Tracker and a Novation Launchkey Mini Mk3.

4 Likes

I reviewed the flight of harmony infernal noise machine

2 Likes

Recently got a Moskwa II and fooling around with it in just intonation mode I immediately hit on a sequence that really caught my ear so I built this patch around it, with most modulation coming from Just Friends, ‘playing’ the Time knob to introduce variation.

5 Likes

A few explorations after reconfiguring my rack for some droning:

Voices:
Cursus Iteritas through Triptych, Dixie II through Ikarie, MCO through Blades, Manis Iteritas through Belgrad

Modulation/Sequencing:
Pamela’s New Workout, Ornament and Crime, Zadar, Ochd

Effects:
Melotus Versio, Big Sky

3 Likes

jazz/pop groove, a-part short phrases ending in upwards sequence,
b-part legato, middle section dreamy and blurred, solo on ms1

6 Likes

I moved my setup Infront of window and have been recording song in one take while been able to enjoy the view. It’s a magical feeling when you hit record, stare outside and the surrounding just flows through your playing. For me, this is the true way to connect to the world with your music. Here’s one of those songs. My setup Yamaha QY70 through ZOOM MS70CDR and Roland SP404A. Enjoy!

4 Likes

Hi,
Here’s a DIY videoClip made with Processing.

It catch 3 midi channels from Model:Sample.
I had kastle and korg nts-1 in intro and outro.
Here’s the code : LookUp on github
Enjoy !

1 Like

Over the last year or two I’ve been trying to change the direction of my music. This has been a move from making music based on what I think sounds good, toward music that is made with a more specific “artistic intent”. By this I mean, with the goal of eliciting a certain response in the consumer.

To this end I’ve been working on a new project called Running Quartz. The first output is intended to be an album I’m working on (I have a reasonable version of all tracks and a list of changes I want to make, so it’s not a million miles off complete) called Borderless Circles.

The track presented above is one called November. It was actually something that didn’t make the cut for my first version of the album but eventually the sound grew on me. In the end a lot of the rest of the material shifted to be more aligned with this track. As such it represents (stylistically) what I’m going for.

The goal of the album was to reflect on the nature of circles, things which return to the same point time and again. I attempted a number of means of inspiring myself for each track including making a Haiku per track. November is intended to reflect the transition out of Spring. Here is the Haiku/poem I wrote for it:

The ocean, the same,
But it was another time -
The waves have changed shape.

As for the video, it doesn’t exactly reflect the thematic content, but more reflects the track becoming central to what I’ve been doing: it had musical gravity. The video was made in Blender and rendered in the Eevee engine for anyone interested.

Production wise it was made entirely in Bitwig (except the static mix being made on my physical mixer and recorded back through my hardware compressor, EQ and limiter). The material present is a mixture of samples taken in and around my house and it’s intensity vicinity, and synthesized content (with some overlap between the two). Synthesis was all done within the Bitwig grid modular environment.

In any case: I hope you enjoy the track, and the video that goes with it. I’d love to hear any feedback and am happy to answer any questions you might have about it, me or the album as a whole (except perhaps a release date as I don’t have one yet). Thanks for taking the time to listen!

2 Likes

6 Likes

here is some footage from a new event series called “das experimentelle vorabendprogramm”… vol. 1 happened last thursday @ die bäckerei, innsbruck, austria… modular live performance by myself together with visual artist pimo42…

6 Likes
4 Likes

I put the modular aside for this project with my daughter.
NB: If you have not yet tested the instruments of fors.fm (here the synth line is dot+pop+box), go for it!

1 Like

I love the video and sound! So evocative! :raised_hands:
(tho i feel strange about the word ‘consumer’ in your description :sweat_smile: implies an end result, or a prescribed context for consumption of a final stagnant result/product, while the haiku and the feel of the piece, seem to suggest something far more transcendent and ever-changing)

Thanks for the feedback. I used the word “consumer” (which I was a little wary of too), not to allude to consumerism or a final item for sale, but as a way to refer to the unknown person on the other end of the screen in that it’s both something to listen to (listener), and something to look at (viewer). In any case, thanks for “consuming” my piece and for your response.

1 Like

Last of a bunch of samples and recordings before moving onto new sounds

4 Likes

Single track improv with Iridium Sequence into Cranes on Norns controlled by Grid and me and fed into Logic with a little spice on top.

2 Likes

wow! i didn’t expect that ending, so beautiful!
as if i was just listening to this very rough/wild yet organic grittiness all throughout that somehow suddenly transformed by the ending into a soothing cyborg-sunset(whatever that means, yet those are the words that come to me most readily :smile:)… great piece! :heart:

sorry to follow up so many beautiful tracks with this abomination, but since i got this week’s weeklybeats submission done(though it was a last-minute quickness to substitute for the track i was actually working on throughout the earlier part of the week), figured i’d share it real quick… just for anyone’s amusement:

3 Likes

Fairground in Pripyat

4 Likes

A very peaceful piece with the Harmonic Oscillator.

3 Likes

My son had an assignment to write a pop song and, since they didn’t specify genre, he decided it could be bossa nova!

1 Like