\\\\\\\\ Left Leaning Lines

Here’s something I really hope we can discuss. Quote from the article linked above.

Transferring or collectivizing Amazon, Google, Facebook, Apple, Microsoft, Walmart, as well as energy and telecommunications, making them into public property could be done almost overnight. Their vast profits and technological apparatus could be used for the public good. Free health care and higher education, subsidized high-quality public housing and a massive rebuilding of the country’s infrastructure on the principles of a ‘green economy’ could be immediately undertaken.

Thoughts?

Management nightmare that would likely end in tears, but there may be more joy when the tears dry. I doubt we have the will, or will have in the future. Unions are, by comparison, a fairly conservative proposal, but it’s hard enough to get support for that idea.

2 Likes

Well this is great fucking news. Great work everyone. :expressionless:

1 Like

Shareholder proposals almost never pass. It might have the sheen of democracy, but there’s little about it that is democratic.

5 Likes

We have trouble even enforcing anti-trust laws, so government siezure feels a solar system away. There are so many possible solutions on the table, so it sucks that we’re stuck with just letting the train go off a cliff.

1 Like

Boycott?

I have left Facebook by this point, but I still use Google user for Drive, email, and browsing and have a MacBook and iPhone. I think it would be difficult since we are often dependent or at least embedded into these services; for example, I have a friend group that schedules weekly board-game meet ups through Google chats.

The free services are dependent upon tracking our data for completing profiles to sell to advertisers. Should the left consider leaving these platforms and find alternatives? This is a serious question and I would like to hear some input from people. I think boycotting products could be an effective if people were serious. This overlaps with the leaving Facebook, etc. thread, but I think this is a question for those on the left.

I guess I’m pessimistic about the efficacy of boycotting free services. I’m also not sure that doing so addresses the problem’s cause or just its symptoms?

10 Likes

Me too honestly. I just don’t see a lot of political will to affectively regulate these companies. For a boycott to truly be a factor it would need to be massive. Ironically the only way to make it happen would be to use social media.

3 Likes

the left should build their own versions of these services in my opinion

1 Like

An interesting train of thought. What would it look like? Reminds me of this thread:

https://switching.social/ has “ethical” generally open alternatives to most if not all of the above

5 Likes

I’ve heard of a lot of these before. I think something that should be built should be something to replace Facebook Events a lot of people I know use it specifically for that feature

rotonde seems relevent to this conversation

also we are indeed inside a social media alternative

7 Likes

I am very new to both the left and the music industry at large. I am attempting to wrap up my degree at school for Music Business Technology here in the US. Currently looking for internships for credit as well as job opportunities after graduation.

I also have been recently introduced to more fundamental leftist ideas such as workers co-ops.

I am starting to feel a bit conflicted on how I should be moving forward with my life/career I guess. I would very much like to be independent or work alongside others democratically, however I know a HUGE portion of the jobs I am looking at, especially ones tied to the internships I might be taking, to be extremely capitalistic and exploitative. Rather unfulfilling work if you ask me.

But maybe I’m wrong, just blowing things out of proportion. I obviously have practically no experience in the actual job market I am looking to get into.

Any resources or general advice would be greatly appreciated! Been enjoying the thread!

1 Like

this might be of interest to you :slight_smile:
https://framablog.org/2019/05/14/mobilizon-lets-finance-a-software-to-free-our-events-from-facebook/

1 Like

If you have a lot of debt from school, take an opportunity that is most likely to help you get rid of it as fast as possible while compromising the least on your morals.

If you don’t then, yeah, keep looking for a company you feel good working for. We all have different economic pressures. If you have more means, you’ve got more say in how all of this will unfold for you.

Most of the jobs you are looking at ARE exploitive. Especially internships. The point of this thread (and the others like it) is that you’re on the cusp of entering a system that has a lot of problems, but you can keep reading and keep looking. It does depend on what you want, and you haven’t really implied enough to give more specific advice.

You’ll learn from wherever you land. Keep your empathy on. Keep learning. Education can’t stop with school.

5 Likes

left-wing techno zine

2 Likes

After watching the dem debates, Tulsi Gabbard seems to be the only candidate with a strong anti-war message.

Image what we could do with the money saved by not overly funding what President Eisenhower warned us about so long ago, the Industrial War Machine.

I grow weary of living in a country with a blood stained flag. Our young soldiers deserve better, they deserve a long, prosperous and happy life.

2 Likes

missed this at its original publishing in late 2013 (mark fisher)

re: building the future you want to live in:

… the rejection of identitarianism can only be achieved by the re-assertion of class. A left that does not have class at its core can only be a liberal pressure group. Class consciousness is always double: it involves a simultaneous knowledge of the way in which class frames and shapes all experience, and a knowledge of the particular position that we occupy in the class structure. It must be remembered that the aim of our struggle is not recognition by the bourgeoisie, nor even the destruction of the bourgeoisie itself. It is the class structure – a structure that wounds everyone, even those who materially profit from it – that must be destroyed. The interests of the working class are the interests of all; the interests of the bourgeoisie are the interests of capital, which are the interests of no-one. Our struggle must be towards the construction of a new and surprising world, not the preservation of identities shaped and distorted by capital.

17 Likes

The article feels both relevant and dated all at once – given the time since then and now.

I get that identities forged via capital serve capital, but there are people who want and deserve to have their identities acknowledged.

It’s also hard for me to disentagle the politico speak from the intent behind, so maybe they’re acknowledging that, and I missed it? But there seem to be an essential denial of experience in that line of thinking. I’m also not sure why you can’t both acknowledge identities from lived experience and raise class conciousness?

I’m also admittedly drenched in current American politics and not the British politcal scene of 2013, so again. I’ve certainly added more color myself.

4 Likes