Less Concepts 3.0
less concepts is rooted in the idea that complexity is just a shit-ton of simplicity, chained together. at its core, less concepts holds 65,536 possible combinations of notes which can be gated, offset, and manipulated to create minimal sequences for improvisation. small changes to a single parameter can bring sweeping or subtle changes.
seek. think. discover. - dan derks
at first you are met by a constructive concept built from the seed 36 and rule 30. root note is C and the scale is major. the sequence is fed through the built in sound engine “passersby” and midi device 1 / channel 1.
the combination of seeds and rules feed the sequencer with 8-bit numbers. this number is visualized by the eight squares top left on the screen / grid (in the screenshot above 11001111 = 207), a new number is seeded with every beat of the selected time signature. the two voices are individually triggered when they cross paths with the true value 1. the current 8-bit number (11001111 = 207) translates into a note by passing it through the limits for high / low and then transposed within the selected scale.
navigate the main performance screen by scrolling with E1, changing values with E2 and E3. adding snapshots with K2 and randomizing selected values with K3.
K3 takes on a different role when snapshots are selected (bottom left) or cycling sequencer direction / duration (bottom right). while snapshots are selected K3 will randomize all values (except time and duration). while direction / duration is selected K3 activates a ´destructive´mode, indicated by ‘*’. all changes to snapshots will be saved while in destructive mode. if you wish to delete a snapshot hold K2 and press K3, this results in the snapshot still playing but no snapshot is selected. you scroll through and select the snapshots with E2.
- time: change time signature for the sequencer. 1/8 - 1/32 (more options available in params).
- a cycling sequencer that steps through saved snapshots and move when the indicated duration has passed. the cycling sequencer can move up ‘>’, down ‘<’ or random ‘~’.
- midi notes can trigger snapshots. select “midi → snapshot root” and play away!
/ / / / / / / /
~ r e f r a i n
hold K1 to find the built in pitch, delay, micro looper.
- buffers are now visible (top right)
- input mix (engine and adc) is editable on screen (prev. in params / adc is new)
- K2 toggles state for both buffers ‘rec | play’
/ / / / / / / /
params → edit
‘load & save’
- all values including params are now saved with a set.
- saves from pre 3.0 works, you need to move them from
dust\data\less_concepts_3. also saves with 0 presets/snapshots will not work (I think maybe they never did?)
‘time, midi & outputs’
- select time range(‘legacy 1/8 - 1/32’, ‘slow 1/1 - 1/16’ and ‘full 2/1 - 1/32’ (locked with snapshots)
- default length (cycle) 1x - 32x (cycle duration for new snapshots)
- midi (choose midi device and channels) turn midi/link transport on / off
- midi → snapshots root (play your snapshots with a midi keyboard)
- outputs, choose outputs for voice 1 & 2.
‘scaling & randomization’
- choose scale and global transpose
- set transpose randomization
- clamp the values for randomization with ‘randomization limits’
+ params for ~refrain, passersby and w/syn
Available in Maiden
PS. I want to add a side note at the end here… It might seem strange seeing an update for Less Concepts by someone other than @dan_derks . I would probably think the same. So how come?
I reached out to Dan early fall 2020 with a couple of questions, I think the first one was if it would be possible to lower the tempo of the iterations in the script. He was (as we all know) extremely kind, helpful and giving with his knowledge pointing me in the right directions to make my additions to the script. After succeeding with my first steps I came up with more ideas, reached out again and more and more ideas sparked. We had a couple of meetings, I sent Dan continous updates on my progress and he continued to motivate me on going further by complementing me and re-assuring me I was on a good path with the script (his script). It’s a wierd thing, taking on another artists work and adding stuff on top. I have made sure that every addition and the minor changes I’ve made were in line with his vision and I sincerely hope you all feel that I did not break any ‘magic’ here. Dan asked me to re-direct the installation source and do this forum post. I am of course very humbled by this but here it goes.
Development and testing of the script has been ongoing for a couple of months now. There might be minor bugs though. Please report here and I’ll make sure to fix as quickly as I can.
Short press on K1 (in ~refrain makes the screen flicker) / Use long press til fixed. After load file - reference to nil position