Let's talk about your ios and modular integration methods!

I’ll start off.
Lately I’ve been really enjoying using my newly acquired CV.OCD with various sequencing and clocking apps, mainly:
SnakeBud
Fugue Machine
Rozeta MIDI Suite
MIDI Link Sync
… a few others (battery dead on my ipad)

I finally took some time to figure out how to get everything linked up in AUM and am using that along with BorderLands, Drambo and other assorted synths.
What are y’all up to?

3 Likes

I‘ve also been a big fan of the CV.OCD since forever. It‘s so nicely configurable. I sometimes wish for a USB bus-powered MIDI-CV solution though, even if that restricted the CV outputs to 0-5V.

I think the MI CVpal was bus-powered I think, but that was more restricted and I think it‘s hard to get nowadays.

The Endorphin.es Shuttle Control would probably be the next step up, when you‘d want to install a MIDI-CV module in your case.

1 Like

The audio damage odio has served me well forever to bring iOS effects into my modular, and also to record audio direct to my phone with videos

2 Likes

I love the Mutable CVpal for its flexibility. Addressing modes via MIDI channels is really cool. You can set each app to the required MIDI channel and the correct mode is active as soon as that app sends MIDI data. There still seem to be a few places selling PCBs, and of course the layout is on Github.

1 Like

There is also this:

2 Likes

Great start of the discussion!
To be clear, I’m not looking to get any other hardware, as the CV.OCD is giving me:
4 pairs of CV/Gate on MIDI channels 13-16
8 clock divisions at whole note, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8,
2x 1/16, 1/32 and 24ppqn

Loving the fact that I can have multiple instances of a Rene style sequencer (I think it was $5) with great visual feed back and a ton of randomization.
I pretty much have 5 rows of eurorack (really only use 3) and have no intention of ever expanding beyond that. iOS integration scratches that itch for me of being able to expand the capabilities of my system cheaply with out taking up any more space. It’s so easy and flexible to be able to add a polyphonic synth, granular environment or even test out an idea on the couch with just the ipad and a pair of headphones.

3 Likes

What are you (or others) using as a midi/audio interface for your iPad? If you’re using CV.OCD you must be using an interface to get DIN miso out of your iPad right? This is the part I’ve always found tricky about integrating iOS into any music endeavors.

I have an iPad that I don’t use nearly enough so I’m glad you started this topic.

2 Likes

I have a Presonus interface. I chose one a couple years ago prioritized for a show we were doing where I needed 4 mic pres and it needed to be externally powered. That works out well for this application also because the interface can’t be powered off the ipad.
The CV.OCD also needs to be programmed using their browser, a file is downloaded and then needs to be uploaded to the device thru MIDI from a computer. It’s a little clunky, but I programmed the box the way I thought it’d be most useful, made a couple fine tunes and haven’t needed to go back.
Using an audio interface with MIDI is great also because it’s easy to add additional synth, drum, sample, granular or whatever and use that along with your modular system.

BTW, I just downloaded StepBud, another of Cem Olcay’s apps. Hot damn! Another great sequencer with every conceivable trick including, probability, ratcheting, repeat count, gate length, swing (per step)…wow!

1 Like

I’m familiar with the CV.OCD - I’ve owned it a couple of times and didn’t love the configuration process and also I need hotter gates/triggers to work with some of my modules (CV.OCD uses 5v gates). It’s a great, cost effective unit though.

I was more curious about the interface because I’ve had a hard time with iOS accessories that stop working after Apple updates the OS. I have a midi interface that uses an older iPad connection (I used it with an adapter) that recently stopped working after I updated my iPad for instance. Same thing with a few Bluetooth devices. Is PreSonus pretty good about keeping things up to date?

2 Likes

Not sure about Presonus updates.
I have 2 older ipads and have been skipping the accessory updates for years.
I’ve got everything working well, but it’s a legitimate concern.

2 Likes

MIDISteps + Lightning to USB adapter + USB to MIDI cable + CV.OCD

1 Like

i’m a big fan of ios effects. they’re so cheap and cheerful and some of them sound incredible! k7d is my favorite tape delay emulation ever, and Alteza is a gorgeous heaven-reverb. right now, im trying to figure out how to sequence tal uno from the er101

4 Likes

I’m using my iPad Pro a lot with modular, in a few different ways.

• Audio and CV to and from the Expert Sleepers ES-8, mostly with AUM and Drambo. AUM for multitracking audio and using iOS effects on the modular. Drambo for everything nice with both audio and CV
• MIDI from iPad to Digitakt and thru to ALM mmMidi and mmT
• MIDI from iPad to SQ-1 and CV/gate to the modular

All nice and simple with a USB-C to USB 2.0 type B cable.

2 Likes

Are you using the iPad as a host for the sq-1? Is sq-1 just acting as a midi to cv converter?

I hadn’t tried that yet. Although I have connected iPad to Ansible using the Sevillasoft midi to midi connector.

2 Likes

Yes exactly. Everything the SQ-1 gets as USB MIDI (on two channels) is sent out to its CV/gate pairs as long as its own sequencer is stopped. Otherwise its own sequence takes over.

3 Likes

One other thing I’m finding as I run different groups of apps within AUM is that there are different combos of sync going on. Tonight I noticed I had to stop and reset AUM to tighten up timings and line up the “1”.
In my case the lead clock is MIDI Link Sync.

1 Like

iOS is my primary way to record the modular, I do effects and recording on iPad but rarely do sequencing and control with it.

Loopy Pro has changed everything, I used to use AUM but now Loopy handles all the routing, fx and recording. The fact you can totally customise how you want it to operate is amazing.

6 Likes

I’ve gone with the ES-9 with iOS. It was stupid simple connecting. I initially used it with MiRack or AUM + MiRack, but Lately I’ve been using with Drambo. While MiRack is like an extension of my small eurorack with a familiar interface and logic, I find it sometimes easier to use Drambo. Requires a bit of mental adjustment, but it allows me to route auv3 fx modulations and other signals in and out conceptually different. I may buy the midi breakout to extend with my other gear. Eurorack to iOS via the ES-9 has been the best thing ever.

4 Likes

MGFM
I downloaded the trial of Loopy Pro a couple of days ago mainly to see about importing some of my very long “drum dubs” (5-20 min) and was trying to lock them in to a reliable tempo mapped playback either as host or inside AUM. So far I wasn’t able to get it solid, but I’ll keep at it. My dubs are all exported from Ableton at tempo and labeled with BPM and measure length so it should work eventually.

DatGood
I’m having great results with my Presonus/CV.OCD combo so far as the Presonus gives me 4 really decent mic preamps plus 4 additional line ins and a bunch of 1/4" outs plus 2 headphone amps, so I doubt I’ll get any ES stuff anytime soon altho it sound amazing. I really want to dig more into Drambo. I’m so interested in seeing all the different ways folks are using it. My problem has been that I build up a bunch of different complex system configurations and then forget how they actually work. It’d be nice to set up some kind of study/work/help group and get different perspectives on workflows.

2 Likes

There’s a Drambo thread at least that we can use for starters :black_heart:

Please share tips and best practices

2 Likes