library + norns package manger + norns.community -- bot to help make sure it's in all the places?

i think the idea of enforcing some kind of policy is the exact opposite of what should be done.

i look at it from the perspective of producers and consumers. the script authors are already doing additional work in order to share what they’ve created with others. putting additional constraints in place in order ease the burden on the consumer seems misguided.

15 Likes

Great thoughts.

it seems like a cool first step could be a script which scrapes the norns tag in the library category, norns.community and that package manager json and returns a list which shows which ones aren’t in all 3 (and where they are missing)

The updating the script to open prs for norns.community and the norns-community json blob to add ones that aren’t there…or maybe just do that manually.

Manual running of the script, manual acceptance of the prs would be fine for a first pass I think. We could get into future script side later on but maybe it’s not even needed if we could just periodically run something which updates things in all the places?

1 Like

I’m not sure that taking everything from library and putting it into community and the maiden list is a great idea. Scripts in library could be early/work in progress, they could be abandoned and not working with recent changes to norns or the author could simply not want them listed. It brings up some interesting questions around ‘ownership’ of scripts and where they appear, but if there’s a script you want included why not just start a conversation with the author?

I do think there are some opportunites to simplify the process of publishing scripts. The library area of lines asks for bunch of information (which is understandable) and the community site wants most of it again. It would be great if there was a single method for publishing a script and having it appear on the community site, available in maiden and a library thread created.

8 Likes

To me the key issue is discoverability. I would venture to guess the majority of norms users are not developers and are looking to for scripts to take full advantage of what the device has to offer.

By “encouraging” the documentation/cataloging of scripts created — work-in-progress, experiments, final, or otherwise — benefits the entire community and Norn’s ecosystem.

3 Likes

Yeah totally even if it’s just a list of links somewhere “here are the scripts that aren’t on norns.community yet”. I think that will help make scripts that might be a little hidden more discoverable

3 Likes

decided to try figuring this out, actually quite easy to scrape “all scripts” on both here and norns.community I’ll see if I can turn this rough string into the actual name with links tomorrow. Tonight’s very rough iteration of the script to find that out shows these are the lines library-only scripts (of course some are collections, which would explain why they might not pass the naive startsWith test):

EDIT: figured out how to add the links in! Updated script

Here are all the library threads which, at least by naive substring matching, don’t seem to have a page on norns.community:

11 Likes

holy cow. thats exactly what i needed. thank you @jlmitch5

1 Like

sometimes
the unmapped
are the point

8 Likes

I guess that even if it is better if it’s a script’s author that documents his/her/their own creation, users of a script could also take part in the documentation effort of their favorite script.

one idea I had was to contact every author w/ scripts that are absent from norns.community to ask them if they’re available for documenting them here.

if they are not, other lines users could help fill them in.

it should be pretty straightforward most of the time as the content of introductory posts for script threads are generally close to what is ends up in norns.community pages.

how does that sound?

1 Like

I totally agree.
i hope it doesn’t come across too confrontational, but i don’t like the idea of a centralized place. One aspect, which makes the Norns universe magical, is that not everything is served on a platter. I like the idea of stumbling upon patches that i somehow missed for ages. Has a similar feeling to it like the early 2000 years, when i’d hunt down pure data patches somewhere on the internet.

5 Likes

Really appreciate the thoughts (both practical and philosophical) about this. It’s made me realize the core of what my ask is was about being able to find scripts/know where I might should look to see if I’m missing something off the beaten path. So i think that list of links above will suffice, and I’ll probably leave any further initiatives to others.

I’ll probably do the same thing for the package manager json soon and then call this good enough for me.

2 Likes

i see one of mine on the list (strides). i’ll get it up on norns.community today. :smiley:

4 Likes

I also see 20 characters of mine :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

also huge shoutout to @jlmitch5 for scraping lines and making the list. that was freaking ingenious.

2 Likes

As an aspiring norns user, the idea of some kind of relatively comprehensive directory is extremely appealing.

Also totally understand that some developers might prefer to be cloaked in some way, but at least creating a general suggestion of joining the directory might create some useful coalescence.

Inspiring thread!

2 Likes

good insights, thank you all for posting! (and apologies for my lag)

anything in the maiden catalog should have a url, which to me is sufficient. the author can choose where they interact and share their work.

or if the author does not want to be in the catalog, that works too because we have ;install — ie, if an author simply wants to broadcast experiments from a disconnected blog.

if people want to start pages for unrepresented scripts i think that’s also fine if permission is requested and granted— particularly on norns.community, which we envisioned both as a catalog and documentation repository. it makes less sense to start Library threads, as most of the discussion tends to be questions and bug reports and feature requests: an author should start that if they want to engage at that level.

i don’t think there will be an authoritative always-up-to-date list: that’s just not how the internet works, and we have no intention of making norns also be some sort of gatekeeper. if someone wants to start a thread for “off-map discoveries” for linking scripts not located in the library/catalog/community that’d be one way of tracking/announcing “hidden” works.

14 Likes

I’ve been less engaged here for a bit, did not realize that norns.community was now the preferred method of sharing (vs library posts). I see my scripts in the list above, will look at how to document those on the community site and try to make time for that.

this post also serves as a +1 for script authors not always wanting - or lacking the time/willingness - to document more than once. it is difficult enough as it is for me to verbalize what it is some of these things I make for myself should even be doing, ha.

14 Likes

100%.

i’m honestly torn by two contradictory feelings.

discovering a hidden gem script is part of the experience. similar to the joy and anticipation of opening a present.

on the other hand, threads under the Library section get buried quickly. some users might struggle navigating it. but more importantly, some scripts (and their authors) don’t gather the attention they should deserve.

by trying to be niche for the sake of being niche, people (users and authors) might get excluded from part of the experience…

i believe a compromise between the 2 approaches is possible. as an example, @dan_derks did an amazing work at making the documentation way clearer while maintaining its original tone and spirit.

:yin_yang:

4 Likes

update: added my scripts (Here/There, Uhf, Tunnels) to norns.community today so they can be removed from that list @jlmitch5

5 Likes

Will do, I’ll update with the maiden stuff and update it shortly

2 Likes