lines 2023: category changes

hello everyone— the moderators have been busy reviewing the guidelines, infrastructure, and engagement of the forum. we’ll be posting more about this in the coming days but ahead of that we’re going to implement some category shifts.

• General will be established, which will have Process and Tech merged into it, along with a healthy scattering of Open threads.
  • Open will be renamed Off Topic

we feel this will reaffirm the central theme of music, art, and technology and reduce confusion about where to post, given the blurry boundaries between these topics.

please excuse our potential mess in the meantime.

84 Likes

This sounds great! Thanks so much for your time and work in continually curating the discussions here :green_heart:

One question: will this affect access to threads that were previously not visible to the public?

7 Likes

Yes, a couple of previously Open threads are being moved to General. I think the main one, which people have been dismayed at not finding before, is the Books thread.

Off-Topic has the same visibility as Open did, so for the most part the answer is “no”.

10 Likes

Thanks, as always, to all the mods for your hard work. It really makes a difference.

9 Likes

i love this change. :exploding_head:

4 Likes

Really happy to see this happening, well done. My confusion on where to post, and my bigger confusion on where it gets moved after, is by far the biggest block for me posting more. :black_heart:

3 Likes

Thank you so much for your amazing work!

3 Likes

As a bonus, perhaps as Discourse recalculates the metrics, we got flooded with feelgood notifications. Happy new year and onward to a good 2023!! Thanks for the modwork at PLUR left, right and center :slight_smile:

11 Likes

I was similarly bewildered… like… why are people suddenly liking my old posts? Ah! This explains it.

Another ‘thanks!’ for the chorus.

4 Likes

Please don’t take away trade. This is the only group I trust enough to be relaxed trading with.

18 Likes