Linux on the desktop

Can’t you do this in Audacity though? Select the segment you want, then while holding down the mouse button, drag your selection down so that it includes multiple tracks?

I totally might be misunderstanding what you mean though.

2 Likes

Nice - I wasn’t aware of this one - installing now!

1 Like

I like ardour, myself, though maybe I’m used to it over long exposure. There are some YouTube’s and things that I watched a long time ago that got me through some basics. I’ve generally challenged myself to stick with open source and not do any of the paid/commercial stuff. Through constraint comes creativity? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah - that’s one of the reasons I was strongly considering Ardour. They live their philosophy. But I compromised with my partner… Bitwig.

But indeed - you can make good music in anything. So why not just use FOSS? (I know - it’s not that easy).

3 Likes

Hello there!

I am getting a desktop next week, and from what i gathered, i need a recent kernel to be able to use the on-board graphics properly (i5 11400 with the intel 730).

My first option was debian, but id have to build kernel (i always have bad luck and might bork this), and the not so recent packages make it not a viable option.

Then the other options were some arch based distro (endeavour or garuda), fedora or openSuse tumbleweed.

At the moment im inclined to fedora 34, as it has a recent kernel, yet the packages are not as bleeding edge as an arch based one, like a middle ground between debian and arch. Fedora has pipewire which i am not familiar with, only alsa and jack.

Never tried openSuse though.
I want to avoid ubuntu based distros.

Im not new to gnu/linux, but i dont know where to go towards. I want to use audacity supercollider and PD, besides some nodejs stuff and libreoffice calc.

Any thoughts? I just want to install a distro and have it stable without much hassle. Update packages when needed and have it running ok.

Cheers.

I’ve been running debian/stable with liquorix kernel for ages. I tried em all, this just works, very stable, easy to maintain, rock solid.

2 Likes

Fedora 34 has been a buggy nightmare for me. Pipewire is not ready for prime time just yet IMO.

1 Like

This could be a game changer for me then. Perfect stability and a recent kernel…

@Oootini will be avoiding it then, no mess for me.

1 Like

Cool!

I would suggest starting from a very minimal install (I usually use the netinst),and only select the most basic during installation. So no X, no audio, no WM, just a terminal, an editor and ssh, then reboot, update and add software I need. It takes a bit of time (esp the first few times), but has two benefits:

1. you only have software installed you use, making the machine very fast and
  2. you get to understand a great deal about how things work.
1 Like

Yes, that was my plan, i’ve always done it like that, to not have bloat in the system.

Exactly!

Let me know if you run into questions!

1 Like

With these new generations of CPUs, on top of a recent kernel, which liquorix will cover; you will also need a fairly recent version of mesa to use hardware acceleration of the iGPU.

I got surprised with that once last year with an i5 10500 (but happened to stumble across some backported package for debian 10); and then another time a few months ago for a Ryzen 7 4750G, for which i ended up installing debian sid (which imho is viable for a production machine provided you are a strict observant of system backups before any update).

The latter CPU is in my personal studio machine; that’s the first time ever that i have an up-to-date computer and i must confess it is a joy to use. Also going from a do-everything laptop to a desktop in a dedicated space was actually a good decision for me.

4 Likes

Thanks for the warning! Gathering info on Mesa at the moment in order to get it running proper.

1 Like

Wow. Due to your hint I did a fresh install on my Lenovo x230 (i7 with 16 GB RAM) with a current Bunsenlabs (Debian based successor of Crunchbang), installed SuperCollider, Tidal etc. and so far it seems: I have an excellent performance now.

Thanks!

Cool!

I used to run CrunchBang until it was abandoned. Good to hear everything is running smoothly :slight_smile:

3 Likes

So I finally switched to liquorix kernel and it’s pretty much as good as they say, except that now I have noticeably more CPU whine. This isn’t a constant high-pitched squeal but more like little bursts of pitch & a bit of chatter when there’s a lot of activity, almost like HDD writes used to sound. I’ve noticed it a tiny bit before on the generic kernel but on liquorix it’s really frequent.

Anyone else experience this or have any suggestions for mitigating it? The hardware is a Thinkpad T580 with an i5 processor.

I’ve been on liquorix for years on several machine, never noticed anything like that. If you have dual boot setup (I guess you should be default) you could boot into regular kernel and compare…

NB: Cool laptop stand, I think I’ll adopt that!

1 Like

I am wondering about that. I have a Lenovo T13 as a laptop for work. It is attached under my desktop (but there is room to open the lid completely). If I close the lid and video conference for a few hours (which right now happens regularly) it will unexpectedly crash. I guess it’ll overheat. This also happened to me with a Lenovo T540. Since then I have the lid always open while working…

Will try that, thanks for the suggestion. I don’t think I want to go back permanently though!

Yes, I’m also thinking about that a bit, since I’ve heard of designs relying on the keyboard for heat dissipation. The T580 fans are really noticeable though (frustratingly) so I’m not too worried about being surprised.

1 Like

and the journey continues…

i’m pretty much 100% transitioned. one of the last things i’m trying to figure out how to convert my external drives to a compatible fs (e.g. ext4 etc?)…currently they’re all HFS+ except for my a partition that was an osx backup which is APFS.

any suggestions? should i stick with something compatible across all OSes like FAT32 or ? . . . i suppose having the option of plugging my external drives to another computer that isn’t linux might be nice.