List of good documentaries about music, composers, musicians

I’ve been down a rabbit hole of old Japanese guitars, and came across this little doc that’s quite fun.

4 Likes

Lovely. James Jamerson’s grave is right down the street from me, on one of my bike routes. He finally got a proper headstone last year and I often ride by and leave dead sets of flat wounds on his grave

5 Likes

Minneapolis resident here. This series really did a great job of capturing this slice of music and culture in my community, and I’m glad that folks outside of the community are enjoying it.

Watched this last night. Not the most in-depth take, but it gives a good overview of the band and its origins.

2 Likes

Watched on sky arts, thought it was amazing too.

1 Like

i see it’s available on the public national tv website in the Netherlands. will give it a watch this weekend for sure!

1 Like

Yesterday I caught a screening of “Deep Listening: The Story of Pauline Oliveros,” which definitely belongs on this list. It’s new and doesn’t really appear to have a website of its own yet, but it should be making the rounds soon. It’s 2ish hours and could be longer. Highly recommended to anyone who could use proof that music can be both profoundly inward- (experience, perception) and outward-focused (communication, empathy) all at once. It’s inspiring.

13 Likes

She was one of the greats!

Looking forward to seeing this, thanks for the tip :sunglasses:

1 Like

Not electronic music by any stretch of the imagination, but I’ve always thought that ‘Refused are Fucking Dead’ is one of the best and bleakest music documentaries I’ve seen.

Just in case people don’t know, Refused were/are a Swedish punk band and the doc follows them on their last tour across America and watches the band slowly fall apart.

4 Likes

Nazoranai: A Documentary [Stephen O’Malley, Oren Ambarchi & Keiji Haino]

6 Likes

I enjoyed this: Everybody In The Place - An Incomplete History of Britain 1984 -1992 by Jeremy Deller - YouTube

3 Likes

This is a really interesting little 30 minute documentary on the work of William Onyeabor, and the search for the man behind the music! Thought it might be of interest to some of you

6 Likes

this is incredible. here’s a youtube link if the other one doesn’t work

2 Likes