List of good electronic music documentaries

llllllll

Has anyone seen the Conny Plank documentary? Seems interesting

thanks for sharing, that was a very nice encounter

Thanks for posting this- I watched it last night and really enjoyed the landscapes, the music and Cope’s sense of wonder and enthusiasm. I’d really love to read his book on megalithic Britain.

Two documentaries I saw recently.

Interesting not so much for the music (not so much because of the genre, but because the documentary is not really about the music) but because it gives an insight into the perverted dynamics of the musical star system and indirectly helps to make sense of AVICII’s recent and highly premature death.

Saw it a film festival here a couple of weeks ago.
It’s a bit of a strange film. Some people found it long (boring) and structureless. To me Sakamoto’s aura and many of the the themes touched in the film made it a very interesting and compelling view.

I just watched this. Thank you so much for posting! So inspiring

an excerpt from ‘Kick That Habit’, a (fantastic) short film about Voice Crack:

also:

Both of these are dope. Chicago represent!

I’m off to go look up Voice Crack. That performance was wild. Definitely along the lines of Emptyset’s newest and other dark electo-acoustic, sonic heaviness.

SÄHKÖ THE MOVIE

Just saw this at a film festival tonight. I really really liked it. The footage of Sakamoto composing and listening back to sounds was all really glorious, even though I don’t consider myself the greatest fan.

I also just saw Ryuichi Sakamoto: Coda in a theater here in NYC last night. Really meditative, really enjoyable. A lot of beautiful music and a lot of great footage of him experimenting in the studio for async.

On a side note: directly to the left of his computer in his studio, he has a 6U 84hp Eurorack setup, but it was never really showcased, always out of focus. Seemed to have Clouds, Ripples, maybe Shades, and a Mannequins module, either Sisters or Mangrove. Anyone know of his setup?

I saw Coda last night as well! Would definitely recommend, and would also be curious to know more about his equipment.

Another thing that stuck out to my partner and I is that he has access to basically whatever he would want, but his field recording setup seemed to be an iPhone with a mic plugged in, which was inspiring.

I haven’t watched this yet, but it’s up on boiler room’s 4:3 if anyone is interested

Also, I don’t think it’s been mentioned yet, but there are tons of music documentaries on 4:3 – all free, just need to create an account.

Does anyone know if Coda is getting a UK screening?

wow - excellent thread - will keep me busy for a while

Didn’t see any mention of 808 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/808_(film) which I really enjoyed - I watched it on Amazon Prime video not sure where else you can see it

It seemed to pop up a bit here and there (Barbican, Southbank) earlier this summer, but this site seems to be most reliable in listing screenings. I will definitely go to one soon.

nice one, thanks! grabbed a ticket for the 8.35 showing.

low quality / web - doc / stereo bounce of 6 channel audio
a video about music including Theo Burt, EVOL, Mark Fell & Lorenzo Senni
don’t blow it in the vector © Richard Sides 2014

thanks to
Theo Burt, Roc Jimenez de Cisneros, Mark Fell, Stephen Sharp, Lorenzo Senni, Angharad Williams, Luis Mondejar, Andrew Munks, Anna Ramos, Lucy Railton, Tim Wright, Goodiepal, Vanessa Carlos, Oliver Kielmayer, Ed Lehan, EMPAC Troy, Baltic39, MACBA, Pryda, N-Trance, Yamaha, Roland, Rolf, Samsung, Genelec, Epson, Tanguy, Acer, Mark’s chickens, Michel Chion, Neon Jungle, Silk Rd, Red Bull, Monster, Heidegger, Phuture.

Richard Sides - don't blow it in the vector from Vanessa Carlos on Vimeo.

Oooh - just been reminded of another good one. It’s not quite “electronic” but I suspect many of you will find it highly relevant

Amplified Gesture looks at the world of electro-acoustic improvisation

not sure if someone posted already but have always been a fan of this
https://youtu.be/qBpu7cmm2gI