Live coding

drop here your favorite live coding videos, share your experiences with different live coding languages, etc…

Tidal Fights

the above two examples use the programming language and environment impromptu

This one uses Tidal.

Anything but Wordpress

great topic
thanks for starting the conversation!

btw i’m new to this arena
what editor are most of these folks using?

I used sonic pi to intoduce programming to an after school (under 11s) class. Had mixed results, but the software was nice. Sam Aaron (creator) also does dj sets with it.

This is pretty cool:

Here are 2 videos about the follow up to Impromptu, Extempore, and one about Overtone. They’re not live coding videos per se, but rather videos about live coding.

Impromptu and Supercollider have their own builtin editors. (Impromptu isn’t maintained anymore and you can use other editors with Supercollider if you want to…)

Most of the others tend to have plugins for the big programmers editors (Emacs, Vim, Sublime and Atom). Editor support tends to go along with language provenance, e.g. the Lisp-based languages tend to have best support for Emacs.

Overtone is one of more popular choices.
http://overtone.github.io/
…also i’m biased towards clojure :mushroom:

I rather like Sonic Pi. It’s often aimed at kids, but there’s a lot you can do with it, and as a Rubyist, Ruby + realtime REPL + fuuuunn. I have a nice demo of breakbeat slicing in it. It’s not a functional language, but Ruby’s block syntax goes a long way to emulating a lot of useful features of functional languages.

cc: @hecanjog

20 characters

Here’s mine, although my personal performance practice is more like “live tweaking” – I don’t lean into it, but it’s nice to have as an option when improvising in case I want to “rebuild” my instrument in the middle of a set…

Haven’t seen ChucK mentioned yet, which is one of the few live-coding systems I’ve spent any real time with. The way you reason about time in ChucK is really wonderful and as far as I know pretty unique. LC (which aims to be a kind of DSL for granular synthesis and time-domain microsound stuff) is the only other language I know of inspired by ChucK that is “strongly timed”.

There is a recent issue of Computer Music Journal all about ChucK (and some interesting new computer music languages, not all for live coding though) and it’s pretty great! http://www.mitpressjournals.org/toc/comj/39/4

Edit: also thanks for the heads-up @madeofoak <3

Another +1 for Overtone (heavily biased by my daily job in Clojure), although Tidal looks very appealing for more high level rhythmic stuff. Maybe a similar DSL for timing would work well for Overtone?

Anyway, here’s Repl Electric with some Overtone and Shadertone

Oh and how about live coding for visual? The Force seems like a great live coding environment for shaders.

Gibber is really cool. It was developed by an MAT colleague:
http://gibber.cc/

I really enjoy that it’s built on web technology. It allows for easier setup and collaboration.

i will check that cause i’m curious whether it does vector based animation

most stuff i’ve found more for fx and video mixing than 2d or 3d graphic generation

can you chat a bit about how pippi differs from chuck and the other options mentioned above?

what are it’s strengths? (or who might it appeal to?)
would you recommend it to a novice?

i’ve seen it online before and will probably try to dabble but since youre here it’s nice to be able to ask directly