Live coding

@shreeswifty Pat, glad you’re liking it! Graham is also in the process of working on a gibberwocky backend that will enable live-coding of Max/MSP patches (as opposed to only supporting M4L).

@glia Glad to hear that Tidal is working out for you! It’s pretty amazing and has a really active community around it. In case you ever want to continue down the rabbit hole and make your own mini-language, here’s some notes from a workshop that Graham and I (mostly Graham) recently led on the topic: https://worldmaking.github.io/workshop_iclc_2016/

[quote=“charlieroberts, post:42, topic:5032”]
@glia Glad to hear that Tidal is working out for you! It’s pretty amazing and has a really active community around it. In case you ever want to continue down the rabbit hole and make your own mini-language, here’s some notes from a workshop that Graham and I (mostly Graham) recently led on the topic: https://worldmaking.github.io/workshop_iclc_2016/
[/quote]kudos for the tip

this is really the only thing on earth that could get me back into writing creatively

creating my own micro script
wowzers

This may not even be related with the live coding topic but the question just popped in my head.

Do you think that writing your own language/Parser somehow augments your perception/vision about music?

There are already some pretty neat coding environements and i think that, as a programmer, it would be more beneficial to funnel that energy into mastering an existing one.

[quote=“cannc, post:44, topic:5032”]
There are already some pretty neat coding environements and i think that, as a programmer, it would be more beneficial to funnel that energy into mastering an existing one.[/quote]I see what you mean

However, the same could be said about existing code environments when compared with pre-built apps and commercial software. If you use a tool someone else made there are inherent barriers to understand and wield it properly. This is one way our creativity can be applied (and by far the most common).

[quote=“cannc, post:44, topic:5032”]
Do you think that writing your own language/Parser somehow augments your perception/vision about music?
[/quote]Only if you build it well. Otherwise it could actually impede your working methods

Still I can’t imagine the process being a total loss if you learn something and reach a goal of trying to do it yourself.

To your point tho

I haven’t built my own computers or music hardware (pedals/synths). At this stage in my life it makes more sense to spend time finding the right tools that someone else has spent time crafting.

Same thought applies in the software realm…

I totally get you and i’m a customized/self-created software person myself but i don’t think that you can apply the same rules to both commercial softwares and coding environments. When there are already some that has been going on for years, i just feel like using it to the all extent is more of a logical way. :slight_smile:

you’re right
especially for a novice like me

once I have more experience with basics it might worth messing with but for now it’s lower priority

@cannc @glia I did say it was a rabbit hole :slight_smile:

I’m really glad you mentioned this

If the venue were closer I’d check it out in person.

wasn’t sure where to post until I remembered this thread

been using basic tidal & sc sparingly but want motivation to try a few more advanced things:

• in the process of modding the tidal midi binders for a volca fm (I’d eventually like to attempt tidal control of other synths too)
  • separate the audio channels

the first task is far easier than the 2nd…i just have to make sure not to break the tidal git . I’ve tried searching for a quick answer regarding channels and busses in supercollider and how they’re addressed, I might be looking in the wrong places tho

I feel silly asking for help but if you have suggestions or beneficial info feel free to share

Total shot in the dark, but you may want to look at this page of the lnx studio documention
http://lnxstudio.sourceforge.net/Help/How%20to%20program%20LNX_Studio.html

Hopefully it will give you an idea of how to address separate audio channels in sc because that’s what it’s built with. Sorry if it isn’t helpful

no this looks perfect

well now I feel silly
I thought it was far more complex for some reason

it appears as if for what I’d like to do (sample into and/or spit sc stuff out of multiple motu channels) it’s just
out 1, out 2, out 3, etc

i’ll read again in more detail to confirm
thanks @Boob

Happy I could help :slight_smile:

taking the info from https://github.com/tidalcycles/tidal-midi/blob/master/doc/synth-mapping.md
and comparing the existing volca maps to their respective midi implementation docs (on korgs website) this seems pretty straightforward

module Sound.Tidal.MIDI.VolcaFM where

import Sound.Tidal.Params
import Sound.Tidal.MIDI.Control

fmController :: ControllerShape
fmController = ControllerShape { controls = [
mCC transpose_p 40, -- shift
mCC velocity_p 41, -- vel
mCC modattack_p 42, -- matt
mCC moddecay_p 43, -- mdec
mCC carattack_p 44, -- catt
mCC cardecay_p 45, -- cdec
mCC lfo_p 46, 
mCC lfopitchdepth_p 47, -- lpd
mCC algo_p 48, 
mCC arptype_p 49, --atyp
mCC arpdiv_p 50, -- adiv

],
-- duration = ("dur", 0.05),
-- velocity = ("vel", 0.5),
latency = 0.01
}

fm = toShape fmController

excited to get home and test… I think it’ll work
once I make sure it’s good I can rename and post on tidal git

module Sound.Tidal.MIDI.RMControllerMIDI where

import Sound.Tidal.Params
import Sound.Tidal.MIDI.Control
rmController :: ControllerShape
rmController = ControllerShape {controls = [

mCC length_p 5,
                          mCC tAmp_p 95,
                          mCC tMute_p 94,
                          mCC tSolo_p 93,
                          mCC tMtype_p 15,
                          mCC activeScene_p 92
                        ],
                        -- duration = ("dur", 0.05),
                        -- velocity = ("vel", 0.5),
                         latency = 0.2}

oscKeys = toShape rmController

(length, length_p) = pF "length" (Just 0)
(tAmp, tAmp_p) = pF "tAmp" (Just 0)
(tMute, tMute_p) = pF "tMute" (Just 0)
(tSolo, tSolo_p) = pF "tSolo" (Just 0)
(tMtype, tMtype_p) = pF "tMtype" (Just 0)
(activeScene, activeScene_p) = pF "activeScene" (Just 0)

You will also need to import it in tidal-midi.cabal with the appropriate name.

After importing, do a clean install with cabal install

you can use orbits for that. also the effects in SuperDirt are global. you’ll need to specify the orbit, e.g
# orbit "2"

thanks!

i’ll check it this weekend and let you know if i have other questions

i have not had any luck with Midi and tidal on Mac perhaps i am missing something

What’d you try so far?

Is tidal working on its own?

oh yes, it works but when i try to route midi it gives an error. I’ll try again and post what i am getting

Orbits are indeed the way to go to get separate outputs in Tidal (SuperDirt), but need a little extra config…

Take the “setup with options” example from here: https://github.com/musikinformatik/SuperDirt

For e.g. four stereo outputs you change s.options.numOutputBusChannels = 8; and ~dirt.start(57120, [0, 2, 4, 6]);

The former sets the number of outputs, the latter creates four orbits, the first going to outputs 0 and 1, the second to 2 and 3, and so on. You keep the ~dirt = SuperDirt(2, s); line unchanged because you want each orbit to be stereo.

It’d be great if you can contribute the volca fm synth definition back to tidal-midi! You could send a PR to 0.9-dev branch, and/or join the #tidal channel on the TOPLAP slack if you’d like some help doing that.