Live processing environment Sway performance in New Haven October 9th

In case anyone is in the northeastern US, I’ll be performing with my sextet on Tuesday October 9th. The sextet will be performing with the latest iteration of Sway, my live electronic processing environment in the pristine acoustics of the Firehouse 12 recording studio/performance space. See description below and thanks for your interest. Please DM if you would like to attend.

Firehouse 12
45 Crown St, New Haven, CT
Tuesday October 9th, 2018
7:30pm
$15 Suggested Donation

Carl Testa Sway Sextet
Erica Dicker: violin
Junko Fujiwara: cello
Louis Guarino Jr.: trumpet
Andria Nicodemou: vibraphone
Anne Rhodes: voice
Carl Testa: bass, electronics

Carl Testa’s Sway is an interactive live processing environment designed by Testa using the SuperCollider computer music programming language. The system is inspired by interactive music systems by composers such as George Lewis, Anthony Braxton, Pauline Oliveros, and Richard Teitelbaum. It builds off of Testa’s previous electroacoustic works utilizing live processing including Iris (2012), Sⁿ (2014), and Ultraviolet (2015). Whereas in those pieces the electronics were controlled by Testa himself, in Sway, the electronic control is given over to the system. To accomplish this, audio analysis is conducted on each musician’s signal to determine the type of processing and the exact moment-to-moment parameters of each kind of processing. Each musician’s signal is analysed separately and generates a unique processing map over the course of the performance. What results is a dynamic, changing environment surrounding the music which pushes and pulls the musicians in different directions while retaining Testa’s live processing aesthetic he has honed in over a decade of electroacoustic improvisation.

6 Likes

I’m not anywhere close but that sounds awesome. Any chance you’ll record the show?

Thanks for the interest. Yes, I’ll be recording the show and hope to make it available.You can hear the previous iterations of this system here